Southern California Southern California

Dick Guldstrand leaves us.....RIP Friend.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 12:25 PM
Bandit 00C5
Melting Slicks

Received 246 Likes on 75 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified

Default Dick Guldstrand leaves us.....RIP Friend.

Some here in the So-Cal section may have had the opportunity to meet him on occasion. I was fortunate enough to get to know him even if it was on a small level. He was one of the greats who helped turn the Corvette into the car that we all love today. Godspeed Dick and keep the hammer down until we meet again.

http://www.racer.com/more/historic/i...and-dies-at-88
Old 09-04-2015, 12:40 PM
OliverM5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll never forget the first time I met the guy. I had just bought my first vette (a C5) and had taken it to his shop for some suspension and exhaust mods. I pull up to the shop and out comes this older man in a white lab coat rubbing his hands together like he was excited about having a new project in the shop. It was awesome. He was a great guy, RIP
Old 09-04-2015, 01:37 PM
B R
Melting Slicks

Location: Los Angeles, CA.... I know a guy who has a Lambo with Corvette doors
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sad to hear. It's been almost 10 years since I setup a CF get together with Dick at his shop in Burbank. Thanks for the good times & great memories Dick.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-approved.html
Old 09-04-2015, 01:54 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

My condolences on your loss of a friend.

I saw this guy hanging at a small local vette show and was impressed with his open friendly nature. It seemed everybody there was his friend. I was just checking out the table that had the prizes for the drawing, and he was behind it, with a steady stream of friends coming by. You have to respect a man with enough to give that people seek out and value his friendship in his old age.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:46 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

He was a great guy.... My son had visited him several times with questions about his 427 C5 Guldstarnd... guess one of the last he did... always nice... I have met him also, very cool cat, he will be missed in our community,...
Old 09-04-2015, 05:23 PM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I had the pleasure of going to one of his shop talks on '07. At another event I had him sign my fuel rail cover.

after the talk Dick was letting folks drive his Vette.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:43 PM
tslsa28
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Dick was a great guy. I started going to his shop in the 1990s and he turned my 1991 Camaro into a very fast car. He used to organize track days for his customers and at the end of the track day would always award the Most Improved Driver award to the best looking girl there. He treated my Camaro as well as the most expensive Corvette and I'll never forget going to pick it up and Dick himself was washing it by hand for me. I'm an engineer and Dick would talk to me about the engineering behind handling along with mixing in stories not to feed his ego but to entertain the listener. A European car magazine did a spread with his shop and Corvettes with a nude model. Dick told me he was so old the only thing that hard was his ear lobe. He absolutely loved cars and told me he would work on them forever and figured he might as well do it at the shop and get paid for it. I was lucky enough to be invited to his 80th birthday party and there were hundreds of people there and they all loved him. Not many successful racers and businessmen can leave behind so many people that thought so highly them. I lost touch with him and his family but if anybody knows if there will be a funeral or services, can they post it?
Old 09-04-2015, 10:59 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I used to hang out at Dick's shop in Culver City quite often in the 90's. I was driving Camaros in those days. He had lots of stories to tell. John Hotchkis was working there before he started his suspension business. How the years fly by...

Old 09-04-2015, 11:09 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by OliverM5
I'll never forget the first time I met the guy. I had just bought my first vette (a C5) and had taken it to his shop for some suspension and exhaust mods. I pull up to the shop and out comes this older man in a white lab coat rubbing his hands together like he was excited about having a new project in the shop. It was awesome. He was a great guy, RIP

When I first bought my 98 C5, I lived in Mar Vista. I took my vette to his shop in Culver city many times, he did my first Head/Cam work and then Steve Cole tuned it.

He was ALWAYS a gentleman! He would get on the phone with me and say something like "hey, it's the famous Joel Feingold" I would just laugh, and say HE was the famous one, which of course was the truth...

Rest in Piece my friend!!
Old 09-05-2015, 09:03 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Fabulous snippets, reflective of Dick's affable warmth, no matter what. Thanks, despite the sad news.

Dick really got me started anew, after a hiatus from Corvette, when my '84 was just out of warranty, with his suspension tightening up the car very nicely. Like the brash yo9ung-un, I did not follow his sage advice to sell the '84 and buy an '86 or newer, to get the power I sought, ably demonstrated by a ride-along from the gasoline alley in a GS80; an indelible memo9ry, racked with smiles and laughter.

I was able to do him one favor, long ago when he awaited a return flight from DTW. My nice surprise at seeing him was doubled when our gate agent awarded him a FC seat after I said he was a good friend of the airline. Dick never forgot that, which will surprise no one who knew him.

Rest easy in speed heaven, my Corvette pal. You live on in my thoughts, very frequently.

I smile, recalling our last hello at the C7 unveiling @ the Peterson, when you seemed to remember me, despite the years.

Last edited by whalepirot; 09-07-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:58 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Dick came up to NorCal for quite a few Corvette events. Every time I saw him he was standing around talking with everybody who wanted to meet him. A really nice guy.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:10 AM
Jon2kZ
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 120 Posts

Here's a shot I took May 17, 2015 at the Plastic Fantastic show in San Diego. Dummy me just thought 'oh a tribute car' and never looked close enough to see who was actually driving. That'll teach me to pay attention.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:58 AM
Tonycan
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by OliverM5
I had the same experience in 1986 with my C4. One of the most down-to-earth guys in the business I ever met. Definitely "old school."
Old 09-06-2015, 01:39 PM
ETHYL
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I met Dick during an SAE meeting in the 80s and later when he moved his shop to Burbank I would drop in to visit since I lived in Glendale. I also remember him racing at Riverside raceway so many years ago. When he attended the car shows I would have brief talks with him. The last time I saw him was at the Redline Corvette show a few years ago and Phil his chief technician took a photo of us. I will miss him. RIP Dick.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:25 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

I'd love to attend a semi-official gathering for Dick, somewhere near gasoline Alley, perhaps, despite the renovation of the area. Photos, Corvettes, stories shared in warm recall.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:07 AM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice guy, he actually personally did the my corner weighing on my car.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:11 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Dick Guldstrand leaves us.....RIP Friend.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by B R
Sad to hear. It's been almost 10 years since I setup a CF get together with Dick at his shop in Burbank. Thanks for the good times & great memories Dick.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-approved.html
I was there. Good guy with great stories .........

DH
Old 09-12-2015, 09:38 AM
ETHYL
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tslsa28
Dick was a great guy. I started going to his shop in the 1990s and he turned my 1991 Camaro into a very fast car. He used to organize track days for his customers and at the end of the track day would always award the Most Improved Driver award to the best looking girl there. He treated my Camaro as well as the most expensive Corvette and I'll never forget going to pick it up and Dick himself was washing it by hand for me. I'm an engineer and Dick would talk to me about the engineering behind handling along with mixing in stories not to feed his ego but to entertain the listener. A European car magazine did a spread with his shop and Corvettes with a nude model. Dick told me he was so old the only thing that hard was his ear lobe. He absolutely loved cars and told me he would work on them forever and figured he might as well do it at the shop and get paid for it. I was lucky enough to be invited to his 80th birthday party and there were hundreds of people there and they all loved him. Not many successful racers and businessmen can leave behind so many people that thought so highly them. I lost touch with him and his family but if anybody knows if there will be a funeral or services, can they post it?
I heard that a funeral date has not been made yet.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:50 PM
forzav12
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Great man and always willing to help-whether you were a regular enthusiast on a budget or a large pro team. Great memory too-When I was talking to Mr. Guldstrand at the Monterey Historics a couple years ago, he remembered the Trans Am he built for me decades ago(and loved that I used it to stick it to the Porsches and Ferraris at Riverside!).
Here's a pic of my dash signed by Guldstrand and a couple other Corvette icons.

Quick Reply: Dick Guldstrand leaves us.....RIP Friend.