Southern California Southern California

DC Motors Anaheim - former Ron Fellows GM Driving School Z06, yay or big nay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 11:46 PM
GreekPT
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default DC Motors Anaheim - former Ron Fellows GM Driving School Z06, yay or big nay?

Howdy Folks,

I met some of you yearssss ago at Willow Springs when I had just rec'd delivery of my silver '09 C6Z. The lil woman and I were given some great laps on the course. I got rid of that one and am looking at C7Z's.

I came across this DC Motors site and they have several '16 Z's with this little caveat: "This vehicle is a former factory licensed GM driving school Corvette and is under factory warranty with limitations, please inquire for full details and description."

http://www.dcmotorcars.com/vehicle-d...ca-id-18102319

Talked to sales guy TODD who said, "Oh there's no warranty on the engine, drivetrain, brakes or suspension." But you can buy an extended warranty.

After I LOL'd for a while, I figured I'd ask you guys if you'd even consider one of these "babied" Z's, if you had the full warranty in place? He says the GM driving school at Ron Fellows is for GM employees so the cars are not beat to **** and meticulously cared for. What would you want to inspect (aside of the normal) and ask for if you dove into one of these?

The impetus for this was they have Laguna Blue and BS Z06/Z07's....my top two color choices.

Thanks much,
Phil
Old 07-19-2017, 12:09 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

First off, I am not sure that he is correct that only GM employees drove them. I know they have a program for GM dealership managers to go through the Spring Mountain School, but others drive the cars, too.

Second, I lot of people have driven those cars. Some are good on the drive train and others probably not so much. The cars I am sure well cared for, but they are also meticulously abused on the track I am certain.

I have had the same consideration as you about these cars post track duty, but they are flogged by some drivers. If you are only puttering around town I am sure they are fine, but if you plan to track it or flog it yourself I bet there is a reason they sell the cars after the number of hours of track duty they perform.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:05 AM
Gio's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

Big NO NO to me but is your money and your choice, when I was on the market for mine I contacted them and I was told the same thing pretty much "sold as is" if something happens is on you. What I can say is that those cars are driving pretty hard for the time they run at Fellows! Just imagine buying a car that was doing launch control pretty much every single day

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=OTiqje388Ug

Last edited by Gio's C7; 07-19-2017 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:51 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

D.C. Motors...I remember that place. They've been there for years. One of those independent "highline" resellers. They always have some cool cars, but yeah...it seemed like many of their cars have an asterisk next them for one reason or another.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:52 AM
yip
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

I remember when they were selling the C6Z's some years back. Ended up being a good deal for some guy's. Never heard anything bad but then again the guy I knew of that bought his didn't drive it all that much anyways.

These cars were built to take a beating so I wouldn't hesitate if I was in the market.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:06 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

FWIW, they have an 07 C6Z w/52k miles listed at $38,900...that's high, way high IMO. Haven't studied the used C7Z market enough to comment on their pricing of those...but they certainly appear to have many of them.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:02 PM
GreekPT
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, well if you put it that way, then it's a big fat dripping NAY!
Thanks for this vid Gio.

Originally Posted by Gio's C7
Big NO NO to me but is your money and your choice, when I was on the market for mine I contacted them and I was told the same thing pretty much "sold as is" if something happens is on you. What I can say is that those cars are driving pretty hard for the time they run at Fellows! Just imagine buying a car that was doing launch control pretty much every single day

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=OTiqje388Ug
Old 07-20-2017, 07:15 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I am waiting for this 17 to come to them.

Name:  Spring%20Mountain%20Corvette%20School.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  8.19 MB

They are selling the cars (normally with 7-9 k miles on them for low $70's which is about $8-10k under market. Is that enough to take a car w/o a warranty on the powertrain? It could be. Next Q; what does their aftermarket warranty cost and does it really mate up to the remainder of the GM warranty. I am a long time insurance guy so likely would bit the bullet and get the addtl warranty. Frankly I would want them to include it for a buy in the low 70's.

I have attended the school and although the cars have spent some time on the track. 1500 miles breakin from Pahrump to LV daily where most of the instructors live until 1500 miles and then mostly track miles, these cars are not beat on. Except for instructor laps these are lead follow laps and the lead instructor generally starts braking at marker 4 rather than marker 2 which would be possible. Even on instructor driven demo laps. They teach smooth at SM so unless a student simply won't listen to the instructor they are driven smoothly and short shifted in the mid 5000 rpm range. They also have a full time professional maintenance staff that maintains these cars. I would expect that DC Motors gets them with new brake pads and new rotors and a fresh change of all fluids. At least that would be what I would insist on. All the Zs are Z07 cars, many are A8s and others are M7s. 83A is the one I drove on Day 2 of the school.

Last edited by pkincy; 07-20-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:22 PM
Vuur
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bump an old thread but I thought I'd chime in with some firsthand knowledge.

My fiancee bought a 2016 Z51 from DC Motors at the end of last year - the last day of the year, actually. As I recall it had around 7k miles on the clock at the time. She was very happy to find a Z51 in a color she liked for under 50k, especially with the competition seats and steering wheel. I spoke with the Ron Fellows people before she purchased the vehicle and they said they receive new cars every year as part of their deal with GM, hence the constant sales.

Ten months later, the car is at 21k and we have had no issues. She loves the car and drives it every day. That reminds me, I need to change the oil again.

Edit: The car had new tires and brake pads when purchased.

Last edited by Vuur; 11-01-2017 at 09:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To DC Motors Anaheim - former Ron Fellows GM Driving School Z06, yay or big nay?

Quick Reply: DC Motors Anaheim - former Ron Fellows GM Driving School Z06, yay or big nay?