Southern California Southern California

Where to go for a nice drive is So. Cal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 07:47 PM
LA88C7CE
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Where to go for a nice drive is So. Cal?

My first sport car and first Vette.

Where do you take your car for a nice weekend ride? May be some winding roads or somewhere you can go just a "little fast" without getting into trouble with the law.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:02 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Willow Springs
Old 10-31-2017, 11:21 PM
danzio56
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

Well, there are so many. If you like the coast there's always PCH. Kanan Dume Rd. from the 101 to Malibu. For mountain roads it's hard to beat Angeles Crest Hwy. Last time I was up there it was closed about 6-8 miles west of Wrightwood and may now be closed for the winter.

For inland runs there's many great roads down in the Temecula area off the 15. Look up Santa Ysabel and Julian and you can find different routes down and back. All the way down to Pine Valley via Sunrise Scenic Byway down near Lake Cuyamaca is a favorite of mine.

A bit of a shorter drive but also nice is Ortega Hwy. (74 off of I-5) San Juan Capistrano to Elsinore.

Right above you is GMR. Short but about as winding as it gets. Ironically the only time I took my car up there I got nauseated toward the bottom. I've ridden that road on my bike too many times to count and never felt that way.

Forgot to mention. I don't drive much over the speed limit. Much.

I've been riding motorcycles on So. Cal. highways since the early 1970's and I've pretty much been on every scenic road there is around here at least on a bike. Many of these I've yet to explore from the cockpit, but if I stay here long enough, I surely will.

Last edited by danzio56; 10-31-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:00 AM
LA88C7CE
Instructor

Originally Posted by danzio56
Well, there are so many. If you like the coast there's always PCH. Kanan Dume Rd. from the 101 to Malibu. For mountain roads it's hard to beat Angeles Crest Hwy. Last time I was up there it was closed about 6-8 miles west of Wrightwood and may now be closed for the winter.

For inland runs there's many great roads down in the Temecula area off the 15. Look up Santa Ysabel and Julian and you can find different routes down and back. All the way down to Pine Valley via Sunrise Scenic Byway down near Lake Cuyamaca is a favorite of mine.

A bit of a shorter drive but also nice is Ortega Hwy. (74 off of I-5) San Juan Capistrano to Elsinore.

Right above you is GMR. Short but about as winding as it gets. Ironically the only time I took my car up there I got nauseated toward the bottom. I've ridden that road on my bike too many times to count and never felt that way.

Forgot to mention. I don't drive much over the speed limit. Much.

I've been riding motorcycles on So. Cal. highways since the early 1970's and I've pretty much been on every scenic road there is around here at least on a bike. Many of these I've yet to explore from the cockpit, but if I stay here long enough, I surely will.
I'll definitely check out the Temecula area and may join the local forum members for a group ride one of these days. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:00 AM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by LA88C7CE

Where do you take your car for a nice weekend ride? May be some winding roads or somewhere you can go just a "little fast" without getting into trouble with the law.
Whete are you located?
Old 11-01-2017, 02:15 AM
LA88C7CE
Instructor

Originally Posted by My Vette Life
Whete are you located?
SG Valley
Old 11-01-2017, 04:31 AM
Swoop Dogg
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Covina? yeah man, definitely Azusa canyon/GMR. GMR is more technical and has lots of blind corners, while Azusa to crystal lake is more sweepers with a few technical spots. I prefer crystal lake as its easier to stretch the legs. I'd be more than happy to take you up there, I'm in Duarte, about 5 minutes from the bottom of the Azusa side.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:46 AM
LA88C7CE
Instructor

Originally Posted by Swoop Dogg
Covina? yeah man, definitely Azusa canyon/GMR. GMR is more technical and has lots of blind corners, while Azusa to crystal lake is more sweepers with a few technical spots. I prefer crystal lake as its easier to stretch the legs. I'd be more than happy to take you up there, I'm in Duarte, about 5 minutes from the bottom of the Azusa side.
PM me when you're going out for a ride. I'll join you if I'm available. We should post it here and see if anyone else in the area wants to join us. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:59 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

I may join the local forum members for a group ride one of these days.
An excellent choice for exactly what you described, right Sparky?

Last edited by whalepirot; 11-02-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:05 PM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default rides

what danzio said just about covers it,, did the same on my bike, no more bike, but still cruze the vett.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:58 PM
furiousox
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

PM me when you're going out for a ride. I'll join you if I'm available. We should post it here and see if anyone else in the area wants to join us. Thanks.
I used to live in the 626 area and go to GMR all the time I like the very windy technical roads as you don't need to get much over the speed limit to have a lot of fun.

I also used to just keep going north on Asuza and hit the Azusa Canyon Roads, you'll pass the Dam there.

Angeles Crest Highway for me is more scenic and you'll be going more at freeway speeds

I have been looking for fellow Vettes to cruise with in our area (instead of always driving way far out to Woodland Hills, Malibu etc.) so if you or anybody else is interested in putting together a little cruise I am super down I have a C6 Z06 and I do not drive like an idiot

Last edited by furiousox; 11-01-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:37 PM
Swoop Dogg
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Will do. I usually try and go when I know there's minimal activity on the roads, so either super late Saturday/Sunday night or early Monday mornings. Any time during the weekend is crowded but fun.
But definitely will contact you, maybe next weekend? Supposed to rain this weekend.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:04 PM
Gio's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

We should have a run with the block of orange this month, stay tune
Old 11-01-2017, 07:48 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Go out the 10 and head up to Idyllwild. The road up from the 10 is fantastic. You can come back down the same way or go down the back side into San Jacinto.
The following users liked this post:
LA88C7CE (11-02-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 09:40 PM
vinceg
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
Go out the 10 and head up to Idyllwild. The road up from the 10 is fantastic. You can come back down the same way or go down the back side into San Jacinto.
great road up an down.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:04 PM
Gmurabito
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum. I'm in glendora and would be interested in joining.
furiousox (11-02-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 11:21 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Gio's C7
We should have a run with the block of orange this month, stay tune

THE BLOCK OF ORANGE will be either on the 19th or the 26th, Pat and I haven' decided yet...stay tuned!

Sparky

Get notified of new replies

To Where to go for a nice drive is So. Cal?

Old 11-01-2017, 11:59 PM
Twistedpixels
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact that no on in this thread seems to know about my favorite road is why I never have to deal with any traffic on it like idiot cyclists and prius drivers.lol I usually have it all to myself unless I run into some motorcycle riders. If anyone wants to know about then PM me. I rather not make it public because then it will be ruined for sure. This is why the Crest and GMR are cluster %$#@ now plus the constant rock slides that make the Crest a shooting gallery of rocks ripping the paint off your car.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:19 AM
blackbelt
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

join Southern California Corvette Owners group on Facebook and join us for some cruises
dcolehome (11-15-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 01:32 AM
Seldoon
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Supposedly you can find new roads at your Chevrolet dealer but my dealer doesn't even know the old roads around VA.

Quick Reply: Where to go for a nice drive is So. Cal?