We have a Spec Corvette test day this Friday, 12/29 at WSIR

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 11:27 PM
0Spec Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts
Default We have a Spec Corvette test day this Friday, 12/29 at WSIR

You are invited.

Who wants to go to Willow Springs, the big track, on Friday, December 29th for the Test and Tune Day?

http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/event.php?id=3444

If you have never been to a test and tune it is different than a track day or race. We show up in the morning, or any time of the day. The track is open all day, except for lunch break. There are no run groups as a rule, although if there are a lot of open wheel cars they might alternate between production bodies and open wheel every 30 minutes. Basically we can go out on track whenever we want to go out for as long as we want to go out.

The rules are a bit different for Test and Tune. There are usually fewer flaggers. There are usually only a handful of cars on track the whole day. You must be driving a caged car. Here is what WSIR prints online:

A. OPEN TESTING / TUNING (Willow Springs Raceway only - available Fridays only)

1. Current W.S.I.R. membership required for drivers @ $75.00 per calendar year.
2. Race-prepared vehicles only (excluding karts and drifting). Unlimited number of vehicles allowed.
3. Reservations preferred. Notice of cancellation appreciated.
4. No emergency personnel provided. No passengers allowed. Photography from spectator areas only.
5. Fees are $75.00 per driver / $75.00 per vehicle / $10.00 per crew member (any person over 8 years old).

If we ask, I am certain they will make the $75 membership good through the end of 2018. This first full day of unlimited driving will cost $225. Subsequent Test and Tune Fridays will only cost $150, plus $75 for extra drivers in the car. These days work much better than a track day for sorting out a car.

I suggest a group of us meet out there on 12/29. I plan to be there, even if by myself. Our program for the day should be:

1. Test cars
2. Gather tire performance data with pyrometers and pressure guages against differing alignments
3. Practice a bit ourselves
4. Conduct Spec Corvette Race License Approvals for those waivering into a race license so you can start in January vs. waiting for the February SCCA and March NASA schools.
5. Hang out together, bond as a new race group and have fun.

Let us know if you plan to come out and drive or just hang out.

The attendee list so far, although I might have missed a couple:
  1. Eric Fritz
  2. Oli Thordarson
  3. John Nguyen
  4. Christian Paluzzi
  5. Karim Marouf
  6. KDM123
  7. Jeff Klavir
  8. Maybe Corbin Swafford if he gets his cage done in time
  9. Maybe Sean Witwood if he gets his cage done in time
  10. Maybe Dan Klaudt
  11. Maybe FatBillyBob