Southern California Southern California

ARGH! I need a paint/repair shop in OC

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 12:49 AM
ladiver
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default ARGH! I need a paint/repair shop in OC

My wife had the car last night and some a-hole in a pickup truck parked next to her backed out and scraped from driver door all the way back! Of course no note or anything. Well, guess what truck was in the same parking lot tonight?

Called the local PD to file a report and the officer was a little disappointed when I pointed out the truck. He had hoped to not have to do any report.

So, now I need to find a shop that can make sure there is no hidden damage and is able to do a great matching of paint.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 01-18-2018, 01:05 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by ladiver
My wife had the car last night and some a-hole in a pickup truck parked next to her backed out and scraped from driver door all the way back! Of course no note or anything. Well, guess what truck was in the same parking lot tonight?

Called the local PD to file a report and the officer was a little disappointed when I pointed out the truck. He had hoped to not have to do any report.

So, now I need to find a shop that can make sure there is no hidden damage and is able to do a great matching of paint.

Thanks,

Jeff
That is jail time in most places!
Old 01-18-2018, 01:13 AM
ladiver
Instructor

Unfortunately, out local law enforcement has neither time, money or desire to do much about it. Even the officer said that nothing will be done, even though it is being reported as a hit and run. There was no injury or "major" damage.

Of course, the damage will only be known after a shop looks at it. I am shocked at the damage to the truck compared to the Corvette. I could swear this guy hit more than just our car.

On a positive note, we just got off the phone with this kids mother! He told them about it and she immediately called us and wants to make sure it gets taken care of. Of course, they also want to keep it off of insurance. We'll see about that.

Damage to truck that hit me.

Last edited by ladiver; 01-18-2018 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:06 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Seidner's Collision Monrovia (ask "B y r o n"); European Motorcar Works, Costa Mesa ("JJC5"); doug's customs, Chatsworth ("madmatt9471"). Talk first w. any of the CF members who posted these shops names.
The following 2 users liked this post by AORoads:
ladiver (01-18-2018), LADyver (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 02:27 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Just curious...how did the kid's mother know who to call?
Old 01-18-2018, 09:16 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
Police report filed on their truck would have his information.

Seems like the kid would have had to tell her... How could she not notice all the extra paint on the front fender?

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 01-18-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:22 AM
LADyver
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m “the wife”. When I went back to the parking lot the next night I saw a white pickup truck parked in a corner and had a feeling that was the same one parked next to me the night before. I checked it out, saw the damage, looked closer, saw a few spots of blue paint, and based on the location of damage to the truck, location of damage (and massive white paint transfer) to my car, I knew that was the truck that hit me. So I left a vague note on his truck basically telling him that he hit my car the night before and that he needed to do the right thing and call me. The parking pass in the truck told me it was a high school kid, who probably works at the pizza place next to the karate studio where I work out. Sent pics to the husband and went to my karate class. Husband called the sheriff, they did their thing. Poor kid almost had a few black belts waiting for him in the parking lot if I hadn’t convinced them to see how the note from me and the sheriff worked out! Mom called me and said her kid was scared and in tears and “really remorseful”. He knew he hit something but didn’t know the extent of the damage. Translation: he knew he hit something and didn’t bother looking for damage because he figured he’d get away with it. Everyone knows my Vette in that parking lot....it’s there at least 5 times a week and I go out of my way to park in the boondocks. I confirmed that the kid works at the pizza place right next to the karate studio, so we’ll be seeing a lot of each other! Good news is that I also received a text from his mom mentioning the collision with a recommendation for a body shop, so hopefully everything goes smoothly and we don’t have to fight to get it fixed.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:28 AM
LADyver
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Police report filed on their truck would have his information.

Seems like the kid would have had to tell her... How could she not notice all the extra paint on the front fender?
Funny thing is, the physical damage (that can be seen) to the Corvette was minimal after I used a cloth to buff off all the white paint that transferred to my car. There were only a few spots of blue on his truck....all those marks on his truck is where his paint come off! I had no idea the paint on the Corvette was so resilient. The kid’s mom did notice the damage the night it happened.

Last edited by LADyver; 01-18-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:02 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by LADyver
I’m “the wife”. When I went back to the parking lot the next night I saw a white pickup truck parked in a corner and had a feeling that was the same one parked next to me the night before. I checked it out, saw the damage, looked closer, saw a few spots of blue paint, and based on the location of damage to the truck, location of damage (and massive white paint transfer) to my car, I knew that was the truck that hit me. So I left a vague note on his truck basically telling him that he hit my car the night before and that he needed to do the right thing and call me. The parking pass in the truck told me it was a high school kid, who probably works at the pizza place next to the karate studio where I work out. Sent pics to the husband and went to my karate class. Husband called the sheriff, they did their thing. Poor kid almost had a few black belts waiting for him in the parking lot if I hadn’t convinced them to see how the note from me and the sheriff worked out! Mom called me and said her kid was scared and in tears and “really remorseful”. He knew he hit something but didn’t know the extent of the damage. Translation: he knew he hit something and didn’t bother looking for damage because he figured he’d get away with it. Everyone knows my Vette in that parking lot....it’s there at least 5 times a week and I go out of my way to park in the boondocks. I confirmed that the kid works at the pizza place right next to the karate studio, so we’ll be seeing a lot of each other! Good news is that I also received a text from his mom mentioning the collision with a recommendation for a body shop, so hopefully everything goes smoothly and we don’t have to fight to get it fixed.
Way to get them! My hat is off to you to following through and making LEO do their jobs. Good detective work.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:14 AM
Martman C7
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Doesn't look like LEO did squat. LADyver did all the work.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:21 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Good luck. Hope all works out.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:37 PM
Ricks99FRC
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Quigleys Auto Body in Lake Forest does excellent work, you won't be disappointed.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:37 AM
ZEEZERO-6
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Seidner's Collision Monrovia (ask "B y r o n"); European Motorcar Works, Costa Mesa ("JJC5"); doug's customs, Chatsworth ("madmatt9471"). Talk first w. any of the CF members who posted these shops names.
What ever you do DON'T go to European Motorcar Works, Costa Mesa they SUX when it comes to Corvettes !!!
Old 01-19-2018, 09:02 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

How bad is the damage to your car? Can you post some pictures?
Old 01-19-2018, 12:02 PM
ladiver
Instructor

How bad is the damage to your car? Can you post some pictures?
Almost not noticeable! There was quite a bit of white paint transferred, but not much for gouges and no dents. It also does not appear that any of the body panels have become misaligned.

None of the body shops that she went to yesterday said anything other than damage to the paint. That is excellent news.

Between our buffing it out and one of the shops buffing it out, the white paint is gone. I still can't believe that the panels didn't crack or deform at all.

Hopefully, my wife can get pictures today and post them.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:54 AM
ss4luck
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ZEEZERO-6
What ever you do DON'T go to European Motorcar Works, Costa Mesa they SUX when it comes to Corvettes !!!

Really? They did an amazing job on my father and I’s C3 when it needed to be re done after being backed into
Old 01-20-2018, 11:23 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Given that she knew and did nothing until your gotcha, plus the law allowing you to choose any body show, I'd file her recommendation with your used corn cobs.
Originally Posted by LADyver
I also received a text from his mom mentioning the collision with a recommendation for a body shop, so hopefully everything goes smoothly and we don’t have to fight to get it fixed.The kid’s mom did notice the damage the night it happened.
The kid learned to dodge from someone!

Get notified of new replies

To ARGH! I need a paint/repair shop in OC

Old 02-07-2018, 11:14 AM
ladiver
Instructor

UPDATE!

The responsible party came through without any difficulties. They paid for repairs and even provided transportation to/from the shop when we dropped off the vette.

We ended up using RickKustoms in Orange. He did a fantastic job and was quick and affordable. Even though we could have gone anywhere, we felt most comfortable with Rick. As an added bonus, he was also the cheapest.

My only complaint is that Rick was unable to match the new paint texture with the orange peel texture of the rest of the car. LOL The color is a perfect match!

I would recommend RickKustoms to anyone in the OC.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:32 PM
Poltergeist
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Rick has been painting my cars for years. Great guy and does fantastic work.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:20 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ss4luck
Really? They did an amazing job on my father and I’s C3 when it needed to be re done after being backed into
They were doing good work on my Vet's. Then I noticed the quality was going down. (One tail light fell out for one thing) Other problems also on same repair. Went back fo another fix. They said they no longer work on Corvettes. Paint too hard to match for one thing.

Quick Reply: ARGH! I need a paint/repair shop in OC