Southern California Southern California

California To Check For ECU Tunes - Starting July 19th, 2021

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 03:59 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 342 Likes on 281 Posts

Default California To Check For ECU Tunes - Starting July 19th, 2021

See Post #49 page 3 for some great answers, and if you can use your stock file from HP Tuners, EFI Live etc!

Has anyone heard anything about this? true or not true? even a transmission tune?

I have not done any digging or hunting than just reading this article for now -

https://www.streetmusclemag.com/news...he-workaround/

Thanks,Matt

Added this on post 63 - this goes along with many other links that I posted -

Want to add this thread here too as it is pertinent: A&A Smog Legal Kit. Komifornia Now Scanning Tunes. Questions?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...questions.html

​​​​​​​Thanks,Matt

Last edited by madmatt9471; 09-09-2021 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:54 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----

Here's something from SEMA

https://www.semasan.com/legislative-...tuned-vehicles

Thanks,Matt
Old 07-16-2021, 11:57 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

I'd also like to know if it only checks a few parameters or the entire tune file needs to be factory. Is it only looking for things like disabled rear o2 sensors and smog pumps or will things like fan or idle settings fail you?
Old 07-17-2021, 12:43 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

My Vette is almost ready for smog so I took it today and got it done and out of the way (good for 90 days) - I have my HP Tuners and everything I need, however I prefer to have more information.

Both my wife's Jetta and my Sportwagen (TDI's) have tunes (handheld) and can be switched easily, however, since the Sportwagen TDI is due for smog soon too I went ahead and smogged it today as well (good for 90 days)- her Jetta Sedan TDI is due next October for a Smog so I have some time to at least gather some information or get somewhat educated on parameters that are being peered into.

I find it hard to see that a transmission tune would make it fail, however, who knows this early. I'm sure as time goes by we will get more information. Or are they looking specifically for smog equipment and sensors turned off or deleted etc.

Or like you said will changing the fan settings make you fail or idle etc.

It should be interesting along the way.

Thanks,Matt

Last edited by madmatt9471; 07-17-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 12:13 PM
SSkull
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

The way they word it in the semasn page makes me think they go deeper than just parameters, due to them saying factory tune, or an approved EO from CARB. Makes me think they've got a small list of 'authorized' tunes consisting of factory tune, and then any custom tunes that maybe certain vendors went through the process of getting approved. I would think any CARB compliant setups(supercharger needing tune) would be grandfathered through just by common sense, but when talking about these people in the government obviously they don't seem to always use common sense.

I was worried about the same thing so I contacted Andy @ A&A, he said their tune should be fine and compliant. My smogs due later at the end of the year, and this is the first time I went the smog legal route in gaining power so I'm hoping it turns out to be right, but who knows at this point til we see what actually plays out.

EDIT: Wanted to add, as far as the checking parameters someone mentioned above on things like rear o2's being turned off/on, they've already been doing that as of the last year or so it seems. My dads GT got flagged when he went to get it smogged last year. It's been running the same custom BAMA 91 Octane, handheld uploaded tune since 2009(car is a 2006). All of a sudden last year when he went to go get smogged like normal, they said he failed because of his tune. Went to the referee which was a nightmare just to get them to see him, so he could see what was the issue they're claiming. They told him the o2 sensors in the rear were turned off. All of a sudden this is an issue in the past year but never before. Hell neither of us even realized the Bama tune shut off the rear o2's either but oh well. So we reuploaded the stock tune, and the referee still claimed it wasn't ok even though I verified the tune was the OEM tune. After that second referee appointment which was a nightmare to get, now they wont see my dad with his car unless he gets the factory tune re uploaded at a dealer.

He's done that, and now when trying to set up the next appointment with referee, they tell him sorry, he needs to get the dealer to also print out a receipt stating they uploaded the factory tune before the referee will allow him to set an appointment. So now even though it's never been an issue, he's gone through 2 referee appointments where each time the dick gives him a new piece of information that should've been provided from the beginning on what the problem is, then he's gone to a Ford dealership to pay like 150 or 250 to have them upload an OEM tune again(which had already been reuploaded by us anyways), and now they're dicking him around even further with trying to set up an appointment. Worst part is that car was stock aside from the tune and a set of mufflers, the tune was literally just to get rid of the bad lag that the throttle has from the factory. And because of that he's had to pay hundreds out and waste plenty of time and effort because the dicks they got working for the state.

Last edited by SSkull; 07-17-2021 at 12:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SSkull:
hungryhippo (07-17-2021), Tusc (01-27-2023)
Old 07-17-2021, 01:51 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SSkull
The way they word it in the semasn page makes me think they go deeper than just parameters, due to them saying factory tune, or an approved EO from CARB. Makes me think they've got a small list of 'authorized' tunes consisting of factory tune, and then any custom tunes that maybe certain vendors went through the process of getting approved. I would think any CARB compliant setups(supercharger needing tune) would be grandfathered through just by common sense, but when talking about these people in the government obviously they don't seem to always use common sense.

I was worried about the same thing so I contacted Andy @ A&A, he said their tune should be fine and compliant. My smogs due later at the end of the year, and this is the first time I went the smog legal route in gaining power so I'm hoping it turns out to be right, but who knows at this point til we see what actually plays out.

EDIT: Wanted to add, as far as the checking parameters someone mentioned above on things like rear o2's being turned off/on, they've already been doing that as of the last year or so it seems. My dads GT got flagged when he went to get it smogged last year. It's been running the same custom BAMA 91 Octane, handheld uploaded tune since 2009(car is a 2006). All of a sudden last year when he went to go get smogged like normal, they said he failed because of his tune. Went to the referee which was a nightmare just to get them to see him, so he could see what was the issue they're claiming. They told him the o2 sensors in the rear were turned off. All of a sudden this is an issue in the past year but never before. Hell neither of us even realized the Bama tune shut off the rear o2's either but oh well. So we reuploaded the stock tune, and the referee still claimed it wasn't ok even though I verified the tune was the OEM tune. After that second referee appointment which was a nightmare to get, now they wont see my dad with his car unless he gets the factory tune re uploaded at a dealer.

He's done that, and now when trying to set up the next appointment with referee, they tell him sorry, he needs to get the dealer to also print out a receipt stating they uploaded the factory tune before the referee will allow him to set an appointment. So now even though it's never been an issue, he's gone through 2 referee appointments where each time the dick gives him a new piece of information that should've been provided from the beginning on what the problem is, then he's gone to a Ford dealership to pay like 150 or 250 to have them upload an OEM tune again(which had already been reuploaded by us anyways), and now they're dicking him around even further with trying to set up an appointment. Worst part is that car was stock aside from the tune and a set of mufflers, the tune was literally just to get rid of the bad lag that the throttle has from the factory. And because of that he's had to pay hundreds out and waste plenty of time and effort because the dicks they got working for the state.
What a nightmare for you and your dad -

And what a nightmare for all of us

Will changing tire size and and rear gear with HP Tuners make my or anyone's Vette fail even after a stock tune is installed? or will it need to be done on a Tech 2? - Yikes

Thanks,Matt
Old 07-17-2021, 09:35 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

on that link it says if you have a carb'd approve tune you can see the ref to discuss...Id imagine a regear, fan settings may be acceptable if you make an appt. What a pain. Cant modify anything anymore!

The article says OBD 2 port are they checking OBD1 80s cars also?

Last edited by cv67; 07-18-2021 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:48 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cv67
on that link it says if you have a carb'd approve tune you can see the ref to discuss...Id imagine a regear, fan settings may be acceptable if you make an appt. What a pain. Cant modify anything anymore!

The article says OBD 2 port are they checking OBD 80s cars also?
No not on the 80's because they have to go on the Rollers and are OBD1

Thanks,Matt
Old 07-18-2021, 12:43 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I could never live there. Oh wait, I do!
Old 07-18-2021, 11:03 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Some good info here. I guess my new "smog legal" heads/cam won't be happening.
Maybe some smarter people will figure some things out in more time.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:00 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hungryhippo
Some good info here. I guess my new "smog legal" heads/cam won't be happening.
Maybe some smarter people will figure some things out in more time.
Yeah no kidding!

Get this, I am probably going to go F/I on the C6 as I did with my C5 (734 RWHP) -

However, I now need to know can I keep my 3.42 rear and my 3200 stall or do I need to go back to the 2.56 rear and stock stall - at least I will keep performance with F/I and retain being CARB compliant with a A&A Supercharger - if this just gets too complicated then I might just sell it and look for and purchase either a C7 G/S A8 or a 2014-2017 Chevy SS Auto

My wife isn't happy about the idea of me going F/I again, especially after the accident in the C5 - so we have a decision to make, because if I do I am probably going to keep power down on the low end of things -

Right now my Vette is at 452 RWHP and I love it, crazy as it may seem I wouldn't even want 550 RWHP

I got a lot to think about - ugh!

Thanks,Matt
Old 07-19-2021, 10:00 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

From reading that link if the stuff is carb approved it should be ok. Cant see where gearing would make you fail
Old 07-19-2021, 10:53 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cv67
From reading that link if the stuff is carb approved it should be ok. Cant see where gearing would make you fail
I'm hoping that is the case too - thank you for the positive outlook!

Thanks,Matt
Old 07-20-2021, 03:50 AM
Ill Duce
Safety Car

Received 116 Likes on 57 Posts

It’s going to be interesting to see if Diablosport claims of their tunes being undetectable will be true in this case
Old 07-20-2021, 03:33 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

Under the California law, if you sell a car whereas, the emission systems is non-compliant, you will be responsible to make the car compliant. You'll probably have to sell it to a buyer from another State or junk the car.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:42 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nokones
Under the California law, if you sell a car whereas, the emission systems is non-compliant, you will be responsible to make the car compliant. You'll probably have to sell it to a buyer from another State or junk the car.
I understand selling the Vette to another individual in another State, or to Carmax or another similar type of dealer that might auction it off, in order to move on -

However I don't understand what you mean by junk the car? are you talking about purposely wrecking it for insurance purposes? that would be illegal in of itself. Or send it to an auto wrecking yard as a total loss? or having someone steal it?

Can you share what you mean by junk the car and how we can get our value?

Thanks,Matt
Old 07-20-2021, 05:24 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
I understand selling the Vette to another individual in another State, or to Carmax or another similar type of dealer that might auction it off, in order to move on -

However I don't understand what you mean by junk the car? are you talking about purposely wrecking it for insurance purposes? that would be illegal in of itself. Or send it to an auto wrecking yard as a total loss? or having someone steal it?

Can you share what you mean by junk the car and how we can get our value?

Thanks,Matt
California law will require you take the car off the road and acquire a junk title/serender to prove that the car will no longer operate on a public Highway .

Get notified of new replies

To California To Check For ECU Tunes - Starting July 19th, 2021

Old 07-20-2021, 05:39 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

California law will require you take the car off the road and acquire a junk title/serender to prove that the car will no longer operate on a public Highway .

Thank you for your explanation, couldn't an owner opt to file an "In-Op" till they decide what to do with it, I believe there is no time limit on that if I'm not mistaken?

I hope or can't imagine that many Californians are going to "Junk Title/Surrender" their Vettes or other vehicles - more than likely this would be a last ditch effort for someone who isn't in the know or feels they cannot sell their vehicle.

Let's hope that a lot of good Vette's and Vehicles don't go the drastic above mentioned route and seek a better alternative

Thanks,Matt

Last edited by madmatt9471; 07-20-2021 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:52 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
Thank you for your explanation, couldn't an owner opt to file an "In-Op" till they decide what to do with it, I believe there is no time limit on that if I'm not mistaken?

I hope or can't imagine that many Californians are going to "Junk Title/Surrender" their Vettes or other vehicles - more than likely this would be a last ditch effort for someone who isn't in the know or feels they cannot sell their vehicle.

Let's hope that a lot of good Vette's and Vehicles don't go the drastic above mentioned route and seek a better alternative

Thanks,Matt
I don't know if the State willl accept a non-op certification to satisfy the non-compliance issue
Old 07-20-2021, 06:03 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't know if the State willl accept a non-op certification to satisfy the non-compliance issue
I see what your thinking, my thought was before someone took it in - not after it was ran or checked and found to be non-compliant.

I guess there will be some that this will happen to and they will have a lot of RED Tape to deal with and some serious costs involved. My thoughts were for those who are keeping out in front of it or at least trying to.

Thanks,Matt

Quick Reply: California To Check For ECU Tunes - Starting July 19th, 2021