Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

possible move to Phoenix area

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 05:54 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Glendale and Scottsdale both have a wide variety of activities and both have sports related venues. It depends on what you want.

Find a neighborhood that you like and drive around it in a wide expanding radius. There are nice neighborhoods that are within a couple of miles of not so nice neighborhoods in every city.

Make sure you know where the airports (noise, fwiw Luke AFB flies jets out of the west valley), feed lots/dairies (odors), farm fields (allergies), parks/malls (areas where teens congregate), schools, freeways (noise/pollution), etc. Do this at various times of the day/night so you know what the "neighborhood" is really like.

Then take the zip code and contact the local PD. Ask them what the crime rate is within that zip code. This is a consideration whether you buy/rent in metro Phoenix. They will break it down for you...all property crimes, all crimes against persons.

I mention this because and not to scare you off from any particular city, but there are gang elements in every city in metro Phoenix, including Glendale and Scottsdale. There is also what I call a "corridor" where illegals tend to live because of inexpensive housing. That corridor extends from one side of the valley to the other. That may have a negative effect on property values and quality of life in a particular area.

FYI, the last statistic I heard was 2,500 documented gangs in AZ...some serious and some wannabes. Even the tribal communities that surround the metro Phoenix area have gang elements.

Metro Phoenix is a hub for smuggling of drugs and humans. Everything that comes out of Mexico comes up I10 and into the metro Phoenix communities and warehoused until it can be transported elsewhere, usually along I17 to I40 and then east.

It used to be only the crummiest of neighborhoods was where the drop houses were commonly found. With the glut of homes on the market, the drop houses are now found in very affluent neighborhoods as well.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 06-27-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:14 PM
lilitaly11
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a little difficult to all these things as were moving end of July. We are flying out once on th 10th and signing a lease that weekend. Unfortunatley we can't explore neighborhoods but can oly rely on a realtor. I have no idea where to even begin. Right now we seem to just be focusing on Scottsdale...
Old 06-27-2010, 06:37 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Originally Posted by lilitaly11
Its a little difficult to all these things as were moving end of July. We are flying out once on th 10th and signing a lease that weekend. Unfortunatley we can't explore neighborhoods but can oly rely on a realtor. I have no idea where to even begin. Right now we seem to just be focusing on Scottsdale...
Scottsdale is a nice community.

Most people do rely strictly upon what their agent tells them. But doing due diligence is a must.

The agent must advise you of known negative issues with a property and immediate surrounding neighborhood...
Old 06-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lilitaly11
You should talk to these guys, they specialize in cool properties:

http://www.azarchitecture.com/index.html

They are known to me and will have no trouble finding you a spiffy rental.. Check out their website and pick some communities. It is really cheap here right now...
Old 06-29-2010, 05:32 PM
chiavet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, it appears that lilitaly is through with the thread, Wanted to let you all know we have been reading everyones Information and appreciate it all. Have definately learned alot.

We have also been looking on line at houses for sale in chandler, gilbert, mesa, Tempe and a few others in the east/southeast. at a place on the net called Zipreality.com Any input on eastern Mesa?

Not sure if we are gonna rent or buy but have only looked at buying so far. No kids at home so schools not a concern. One thing we need is a place big enough and has RV parking. We have a 36' motorhome so RV Parking is a must. at least a 2 car garage (2 vettes) We have looked as far out as Apache Junction. But dirt roads and Vettes don't mix in my opinion. Have found a few homes we liked but we don't know what the area is like. lot size listed as 10,000+ or bigger. How big a deal are pools out there? Have seen several with and others without. Is it a nice thing to have? Upkeep? Scottsdale I believe is out of our price range. Haven't talked to Realtor of any kind yet.

If all things fall into place we will be out there for a meet with the company next weekend but doubt there will be time for little else.

This is probably way to much info on our part but just trying to get as much as I can about graeter Phoenix area from all you guys. CF is a great place!! If you all have any questions ask or PM

BTW, are there any DBGM vettes out there that anyone knows of?

Ken& Cindy
Indiana
Old 06-29-2010, 05:46 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

"East Mesa" doesn't necessarily mean the area is in the city of Mesa. Much of it is actually within a county island. That means it's serviced by Maricopa County for law enforcement, subscription fire service, etc.

And not all of AJ is dirt roads, anymore than it's all trailer parks as it used to be. I worked out there for eleven years when it was the armpit of the east valley communities. Now it has both high density housing in established developments as well as very high end homes on acreage.

AJ is within Pinal County. It has it's own PD and FD. The main highway is Old US60 aka Apache Trail, now replaced by the US60 freeway further south. It sets beneath the Superstition Mountains and is the gateway to the Superstition Trail (SR88) to Canyon Lake and Marina. From Canyon Lake, you can continue over paved and dirt historic SR88 to Roosevelt Lake and into Gila County. A little further east of AJ the pristine desert has been plowed under for multiple housing developments, one of which is Gold Canyon, a golf community of both end and high density homes.

There should be enough infrastructure out there now that you don't have to drive back west into Maricopa County to find any amenity that you might want.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Apache...n-Arizona.html

Last edited by hotwheels57; 06-29-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:18 PM
lilitaly11
Pro

Chiavet

Sorry for hijacking your thread, though it would be easier and info would help both.

I have been feverishly searching for a place of my own and we are actually heading out this Saturday to sign a lease. Not sure what your budget is but a good majority of the places I have seen have had RV space. We are focusing are search is Scottsdale but our top pick is actually in Mesa right now. If you want to spend 2000- 3000 a month renting there are some amazing places and thats in SCottsdale so Im sure you can get even more for less in other areas.

To everyone else, do you know if the neighborhood by Lindsay and Mckellips is a nice place? It looks to be across the street from Hermosa Vista Park in Mesa...

Lastly what kind of bugs, lizzards, ect can I expect in Phoenix area?

Thanks
Old 06-29-2010, 06:58 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

You can expect every bug that frequents a desert terrain...brown bark scorpions, black widows, centipedes, Africanized bees, ants and pesky mosquitos are the nasty ones. Their venom generally isn't fatal except in cases where the victim is a child or adult with a weak immune system. Otherwise, it's painful and an "urgent care" or hospital visit is wise. Bee hive calls are frequent in the valley. Some former agriculture areas that are now developed have fire ants, otherwise it's common to find the small red or black ants which have a painful sting.

Most fire departments will still respond if someone is stung by Africanized bees, otherwise they suggest a call to a private pest control company. Regularly treat your home and you should be free of any bugs. Monsoon summer rains will bring out all types of insects and wildlife.

Some counties and communities routinely spray for the mosquito swarms around monsoon season and stagnant pools of homes in foreclosure. West Nile Virus is a problem.

You might also see an occasional tarantula after a storm. They also eat the bugs, so just gently relocate them away from your home. If you kill off natures predators, you'll find yourself with a houseful of bugs and rodents.

There are snakes, but most are garden variety "gopher snakes" who eat the rodents. They are harmless, but they look similar to a rattlesnake w/o rattles. They'll coil up and hiss and strike, but they're not venomous. I've been here since '57 and only seen a handful of rattlesnakes in the wild.

As far as lizards, the typical brown fence lizard will be your friend. They will eat the crickets, **** roaches and ground bugs that bother people, so again don't mess with the food chain. The only venomous lizard is the Gila Monster. You won't see them anywhere but the far out remote desert terrain and the zoo. You might still see Horny Toad lizards if you're near mountain ranges. They're also bug eaters.

No offense, but if bugs and wildlife concern you, perhaps AZ isn't a good choice. They were here before us and will be here long after we're gone. And if the natural food chain is altered, the bugs and rodents will overrun us.

Do a little research about the "roof rats" in central Phoenix. They attracted to the citrus trees/fruit. If you keep the trees clean of fruit and your trash contained, you won't have any visits from the rodents.

Within every metro Phoenix community, you will also find coyotes, many times they hang around golf course developments. They also come into residential areas because of people feeding them. It's illegal but dumb a** people do it anyway. As a general rule, it's not wise to feed any wildlife, no matter how cute they are. All that does is encourage the next animal on the food chain to move into the neighborhood.

There is an abundance of jack rabbits in most areas of the valley, which is the coyotes main food source. They're also attracted to human generated trash, in cans and litter. They won't approach or harm humans unless they're rabid or cornered. They'll run unless they're in a pack. They may go after small pet dogs and cats so that's a concern.

There are also infrequent sightings within every valley community of an occasional bobcat, bear or mountain lion. This happens during periods of drought. They'll see you before you see them. They'll run unless they're rabid or cornered. Game & Fish will trap and relocated them unless they show no fear of humans or have attacked a human. Then they're destroyed.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 06-29-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:28 PM
lilitaly11
Pro

Well that about answers it. I am not a bug, insect person at all but there in every state plus AZ is offering us good money to come there so we are coming. I pretty sure most people don't like roaches or rats or spiders in their home however. I will just spray the house and yard and keep things clean. Im assuming most things you mentioned are worst cases and are not a constant in neighborhoods and homes.

Anyway thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:35 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

I am not a bug person, either. Scorpions, centipedes and black widows get the boot.

Anything else, it depends on whether they'll really bugging (pun intended) me that bad. The mosquitoes really terrorize me in the summer for some reason. A lizard in the house will take care of most benign bugs.

Where we are, we see predatory birds, coyotes, skunks, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, lizards, snakes, bobcats and an occasional mountain lion. It's why we moved away from the valley. It's what the valley used to be before the invasion of so many people...
Old 06-29-2010, 09:16 PM
lilitaly11
Pro

Gotcha, I hate mosquitoes I was hoping they werent there. For some reason to my blood or skin attracts them or ants and anything else that bites. I swear everytime I let the dogs out I come back in with a bite on my foot,ankel, leg...man o man
Old 06-30-2010, 11:08 AM
hotwheels57
Race Director

There are still many valley neighborhoods which use flood irrigation to water their yards. The toads love that. The toads eat bugs. The irrigation leaves standing water. The Salt River Project irrigation canals that meander through the entire valley aren't the main problem as the water is moving. Stagnant swimming pools and various manners of standing water, especially after a monsoon storm, are the main contributors to the mosquito problem. West Nile Virus hit AZ hard. That's why county vector control and cities have to fog neighborhoods during the summer.

Get a good supply of OFF and/or learn to wear long sleeves...

Last edited by hotwheels57; 06-30-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:41 PM
chiavet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Parents used camphorated oil on fire ant bites, took away the stinging sensation of the bite.

Last edited by chiavet; 06-30-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-03-2010, 04:10 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

FWIW for anyone still considering the move to AZ, a weather update.

It was 118 degrees in Goodyear yesterday. That's one of the communities on the west side of metro Phoenix. On the far east side of metro Phoenix is Queen Creek, which got to 115 degrees. Downtown Phoenix was only 114 degrees.

Humidity in metro Phoenix is averaging 20% because monsoon season won't really get started until the moisture moves up from the Gulf of Mexico. Then the humidity will at least double.

Whoever said it was a "dry heat" must have spent their summers inside with a/c.

There were also several wild fires burning around the state.

http://www.azcentral.com/
Old 07-03-2010, 04:23 PM
lowflyer1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Phoenix

Actually, the humidity is around 8-10% at the moment.

It's so dry that the trees follow the dogs around!

Seriously, it's hot. But I would still rather face 110-112 here than 95-98 in Florida, or Texas, or the east coast, or mid-west, or anywhere else I can think of.

Remember, in the summer we stay inside here. In the winter, most of you stay inside where you are. That's why I said, there is no 1 perfect place to live.

Ken Edney
Chandler, AZ

Happy Independence Day
Old 07-03-2010, 04:52 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

At the time I originally wrote that, it was averaging at 20%. According to the weather website, Phoenix is now at 18%...

http://igoogle.wunderground.com/US/AZ/Phoenix/KPHX.html
Old 07-04-2010, 06:28 PM
lilitaly11
Pro

Just got back, its a beautiful place. The heat wasnt as bad as everyone explains, maybe living in FL has something to do with it. We put a offer in on place in Oldtown so were excited to hear back.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:09 AM
The New Black
Instructor

I've been in and out of AZ since 2006, from Tucson to Phoenix. Currently I live in Awhatukee and love it. I agree with Chandler, Mesa, and the Gilbert areas as well. State taxes suck coming from a state with no state tax, but the gun laws kind of make up for it.

Bunch of great Corvette owners out there too! Perfect weather and open roads!
Old 07-05-2010, 01:23 AM
The New Black
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tintin
You should talk to these guys, they specialize in cool properties:

http://www.azarchitecture.com/index.html

They are known to me and will have no trouble finding you a spiffy rental.. Check out their website and pick some communities. It is really cheap here right now...
Wow, this is a great site! I'm in the market now and have had difficulty locating really modern type houses, this is perfect!

Quick Reply: possible move to Phoenix area