Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Track day DFW area

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 05:19 PM
LSfanaticD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track day DFW area

Wanting to get my beast out on a track for the first time (road course, not drag strip.) A couple of my buddies have used thedriversedge.net, their dates and tracks are pretty limited though. Hoping to get some quality track time at some point in April. I found Eagles Canyon Raceway and looks like they have a open even in April, but wanted to see if anyone else could tell me of some tracks around the DFW area to investigate. As I mentioned, first timer here, so the less walls the better .
Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 PM
timsam
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are looking for an organized HPDE event, then The Driver's Edge and APEX are your best options (IMO).

The local tracks are Motor Sports Ranch out at Cresson and then Eagles Canyon Raceway in Decatur.

Not sure about MSR, but like you mentioned, ECR has its own open track days.

If you are learning, I would suggest MSR over ECR for the first time. Dont get me wrong, they are both great track, but ECR is killer on your brakes.

Other tracks around us are Hallett up in Oklahoma, Texas World Speedway down in College Station, MSR Houston and Harris Hill in San Marcus. Ive never been to MSR-H or HH. The other two are awesome, and TWS is made for our high horsepower cars.

Road Racing is very fun, but addictive. You cant go wrong with any track.

Im no expert, but feel free to ask any questions. There are plenty of people here that will chime in.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:05 AM
MikeP99Z
1st Gear

NASA TX is at MSR-Cresson this weekend. A number of very well prepared vettes will be racing and/or running in Time Trials. HPDE/TT/and Race groups.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:14 PM
LSfanaticD
Intermediate

Thanks for the input guys. See an Apex event at MSR-cresson coming up end of this month, but beginner slots are full. Looks like my first event will be ECR in April.

Not looking to join NASA at this time, want to get some seat time under my belt first, plus that wouldn't be enough time for car prep.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:43 AM
NealB
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Apex also has a BYOC day on Saturday April 14

don't know why it doesn't show on the website but talked to one of the owners yesterday about working that event

contact Mrs Claire to see about entering

claire@apexdrivingacademy.com

I just sent an email to Apex asking why nothing on the web calendar

Last edited by NealB; 03-14-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:28 PM
timsam
Burning Brakes

What car are you running? I am getting out of the road racing scene for a bit and have some things to sell.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:48 PM
LSfanaticD
Intermediate

2007 Z51 m6. Already have headers, fast 102, and intake. Will definitely be looking for some upgraded brake pads before my first event. What are you looking to sell?

@NealB- Thanks for the info- ECR actually just moved my event from April 28th to April 7th, so I'll probably pass on MSR a week later. Will be aiming to do another open track event ECR on May 12th if all goes well in April.

Thought on track prep? Already have fresh oil, will replace brake fluid as it's never been changed on my car and upgrade to a better pad, but other than that I should be good right? Tires have good tread left.

Last edited by LSfanaticD; 03-14-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:01 PM
NealB
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LSfanaticD
will replace brake fluid as it's never been changed on my car and upgrade to a better pad.
use really good fluid like Motul or Castrol SRF, not Pep Boys on sale stuff

finding a pad that is streetable and trackable can be a challenge

only one I found for my 03 Z06 that suited both purposes was Ferodo DS2500

CarboTechs I tried were too agressive and ate rotors like crazy

Hawks were either not up to the task or were too agressive
Old 03-14-2012, 09:25 PM
timsam
Burning Brakes

2007 Z51 m6. Already have headers, fast 102, and intake. Will definitely be looking for some upgraded brake pads before my first event. What are you looking to sell?

Thought on track prep? Already have fresh oil, will replace brake fluid as it's never been changed on my car and upgrade to a better pad, but other than that I should be good right? Tires have good tread left.
I have a 2006 Z51 so everything I have will work for you.

I have a good brake package. I have an extra set of caliper brackets to change from the z51 to the base setup. I found it was better for me to run the base setup instead of the z51 brake setup.

Base Slotted Rotors, Carbotech Pads, the Base Brackets (in high temp silver), Brake Cooling Ducts and a whole lot of new Motul RB600 Brake Fluid.

I also have the C6 BK Harness Bar with the interior panels, Harness Seat Brackets, Crow and Impact Harnesses. Plus a couple of sets of C5Z wheels with R888's mounted.

For more none vehicle specific stuff...a Cool Shirt Setup and TraqMate with Video.

Let me know if you are interested in any of this and I can help you out. I haven't really priced this stuff out, or posted it anywhere. But I can start looking into it if you want.

Feel free to ask any questions...since we kind of have the same car I can try to help you out with any questions.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2012, 03:09 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

I was at MSR last month at the APEX event on the 1.7 mile track CCW. I had a blast!

I would definitely up your brakes. I've got a stock 2012 GS with about 4k and my brakes were really mushy during the 4th and 5th sessions. I'm having them worked on this weekend with Motul 600, Carbotech pads (XP10 in front and XP8 in the rear), and Russell stainless steel brake lines (probably not necessary, but won't hurt).

I would go with Motul 600 or something similar before a track day at a bare minimum. I'm told the Motul 660 isn't worth the price difference unless you car is for track only. You may also find your stock brake pads aren't designed for that kind of punishment for a day, hence the reason I went with carbotech pads.

I'm already signed up again for APEX at MSR on March 31st on the 1.3 mile CCW and I'm going to Eagles Canyon on April 7th for open track day.

I've heard good things about thedriversedge at MSR but I believe it is always a 2 day event. Great for some people but hard for me to sacrifice my whole weekend considering I travel most weeks for work. That was the main reason I chose APEX for MSR track days.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:22 PM
71Pantera
Racer

Two of the owners of Apex have C6 Z06s and love them!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:13 AM
LindaLou
8th Gear

Thanks for the input guys. See an Apex event at MSR-cresson coming up end of this month, but beginner slots are full. Looks like my first event will be ECR in April.

Not looking to join NASA at this time, want to get some seat time under my belt first, plus that wouldn't be enough time for car prep.
I recommend Motul 660 and a good competition pad such as Hawk or Performance Friction. Let EC know ahead so they will have your instructor reserved for you & know you'll have a great day!!
EC had 36 Corvettes last Saturday & everyone had a blast.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

@NealB- Thanks for the info- ECR actually just moved my event from April 28th to April 7th, so I'll probably pass on MSR a week later. Will be aiming to do another open track event ECR on May 12th if all goes well in April.

I will be happy to help you with pads and fluid.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28

Get notified of new replies

To Track day DFW area

Quick Reply: Track day DFW area