C7 Z51 insurance in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 07:45 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Daron Chambers
How are some of you guys getting such cheap insurance or am I just getting ripped off? I do not own a corvette but I was browsing out of curiosity. I'm a 30 year old male never have had a ticket and have State Farm multi car discount . My 2003 Nissan 350z is 100 a month and my 2005 civic is 85. Never have claimed anything on insurance in my life .
You can't get real information from forum posts on insurance. Insurance rates have so many variables, including location (you may pay something vastly different than someone who lives 20 miles or even 20 blocks away), age, driving and claim history, coverage limits, deductibles, credit, multi-car, multi-line, length of time with company, etc....

If you want to know if you are getting ripped off, take an hour and call a few places and get quotes. Or find an agent that deals with multiple brands and have them pull some quotes. It is the only real way to do this.

Last edited by z28lt1; 05-26-2017 at 07:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 07:47 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Oh, I think Texas, at least around Dallas, is high partially because of the crazy high hail damage risk. You can just be driving on the highway at 75mph and then have a totaled car because of hail.
I was driving on the highway and it want from sunny to hail in about 3 minutes. Luckily, I got under a bridge before the hail got big.

(Okay, that was a hyperbole. No chance you can hit 75mph with how bad traffic is here)
Old 05-26-2017, 01:25 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

^^^^^^
My agent just told me this is the reason Insurance is so high around here. We've had major hail last year and this year.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:59 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

^^^^
I had a factory bubble in my windshield. Took them 3 months to get one in stock because hail broke so many.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:30 AM
DowntownDallasVette
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Daily Drive my C6 roughly 9K miles yearly for work, and I live in the Downtown/Uptown Dallas area. Traveler's Insurance recently contacted me about my renewal coming up. (I've been a customer for 3 years) I have High Coverage (100K/100K), uninsured protection, rental car ($40 per while my baby is in the shop after an accident), and roadside. My Deductible also is set at a Very Low Rate ($250) because I would hate to have that Out-of-Pocket come up out of nowhere... Travelers wants to renew me for $2,727 yearly, they have Excellent service but it does come at a cost. I'm going to shop around for options as I have a very respectable Credit Score & Flawless Driving Record! In my honest opinion though, You Get What You Pay For!!
Old 03-21-2018, 10:12 PM
Texas1
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by z28lt1
You can't get real information from forum posts on insurance. Insurance rates have so many variables, including location (you may pay something vastly different than someone who lives 20 miles or even 20 blocks away), age, driving and claim history, coverage limits, deductibles, credit, multi-car, multi-line, length of time with company, etc....

If you want to know if you are getting ripped off, take an hour and call a few places and get quotes. Or find an agent that deals with multiple brands and have them pull some quotes. It is the only real way to do this.
exactly......
Old 03-22-2018, 12:30 AM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

2016 Z51 A8 $1120/yr; 2004 Lexus ES 330 $340/yr. Both low annual mileage, high coverage ($0 deduct on comp), no tickets/accidents, other policies with Libe4rty Mutual.
Northern. California
Old 03-22-2018, 01:33 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Please check this thread. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...this-time.html
Old 03-22-2018, 07:38 AM
girardta
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Texas auto insurance

I pay less for my 2014 C7 LT3 with 8,800 miles on it than I do for my 2009 Hyundai Sonata with 30,000 miles on it. I also have a Homeowners policy, PAF (jewelry) and Umbrella policy with State Farm. I also get discounts for being a long-time insured.

The difference is due to Onstar on the C7, which watches my driving habits. No jack-rabbit starts, no panic braking, no taking corners at 50 mph, no speeding, etc. Just sensible, old-man driving within 10 miles of where I live.e

No hail or flood claims, one minor fender bender in my C6 about 5 years ago. I'd just left the Lambo dealership and was still day-dreaming about the Hurican when I changed lanes into one that was already occupied by another car.

Even so, I do pay quite a lot of premium for the cars compared to other states, but that's because of state-wide hail and flood experience, where the instrument of insurance spreads the overall cost across all their Texas insureds. That's the way insurance works; if you don't like it, move to North Dakota.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:51 AM
girardta
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DowntownDallasVette
I Daily Drive my C6 roughly 9K miles yearly for work, and I live in the Downtown/Uptown Dallas area. Traveler's Insurance recently contacted me about my renewal coming up. (I've been a customer for 3 years) I have High Coverage (100K/100K), uninsured protection, rental car ($40 per while my baby is in the shop after an accident), and roadside. My Deductible also is set at a Very Low Rate ($250) because I would hate to have that Out-of-Pocket come up out of nowhere... Travelers wants to renew me for $2,727 yearly, they have Excellent service but it does come at a cost. I'm going to shop around for options as I have a very respectable Credit Score & Flawless Driving Record! In my honest opinion though, You Get What You Pay For!!
Insurance should be used only for catastrophic losses that would leave you in dire financial straits should one occur.

Deductibles are meant to eliminate the cost of smaller, nuisance claims - my god, if you can afford to drive a Corvette, you should be able to afford a $1,000 deductible.

A word to the wise - if all you're carrying in the way of liability insurance is 100/100, get thee to thy agent tomorrow and change it to 100/300 and then buy a million dollar Umbrella policy on top of it. And you may have just misspoken, but if all you're carrying is Uninsured coverage, you need to add Under-Insured coverage as well. What if someone t-bones you in an intersection and puts you in the hospital for 6 months? You think his 25/25 basic limit is going to pay for your hospital expenses?
DowntownDallasVette (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 11:25 AM
DowntownDallasVette
5th Gear

Originally Posted by girardta
Insurance should be used only for catastrophic losses that would leave you in dire financial straits should one occur.

Deductibles are meant to eliminate the cost of smaller, nuisance claims - my god, if you can afford to drive a Corvette, you should be able to afford a $1,000 deductible.

A word to the wise - if all you're carrying in the way of liability insurance is 100/100, get thee to thy agent tomorrow and change it to 100/300 and then buy a million dollar Umbrella policy on top of it. And you may have just misspoken, but if all you're carrying is Uninsured coverage, you need to add Under-Insured coverage as well. What if someone t-bones you in an intersection and puts you in the hospital for 6 months? You think his 25/25 basic limit is going to pay for your hospital expenses?
I understand your point completely. From my point of view High vs Low Deductible doesn't ultimately make a difference. The insurance company will get their money in the end. Being able to afford & wanting to fork over a $1,000 at once are 2 Very different things. I personally hate surprises, specially expensive ones! But hey "To each their own"!!

As I also stated in my original reply I live in Downtown/Uptown Dallas. an Extremely Urban Metropolitan area, High Rise Sky scrappers, densely populated, i.e. The Concrete Jungle. (Well, as close as you can get to it in Dallas,TX) Not only is Hale & Severe Weather a Factor here, but also we have seen an increase in Violent Crime. Luckily Texas is a Deep Red State with laws the protect individuals who choose to protect themselves and their families. So I personally choose to do so, on my person at all times, for my protection (Lets face it, our Corvettes turn heads & get people's attention...for better or for worse).

Many people have migrated to our DFW Metroplex because of Weather related tragedies in their area. (Hurricane Katrina, Irma, etc). As well as a mass exodus of people coming here seeking employment, because many a corporation has moved their HQ to Dallas (Amazon may be next!) and the fact the we have NO STATE INCOME TAX!

I have no doubt this has contributed to the increase in insurance costs for individuals such as myself. However, I have no choice but to carry insurance, because it's "The Law" in Texas. I will be shopping around, maybe I can find a better quote elsewhere.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:58 AM
RCB1234
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Insurance

2014 Z51, LT3, <5,000 miles per year $1,000 deductible. $700/year.
No tickets and house included with the auto policy. AAA insurance.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:52 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

lol I have like $500k coverage (but $1k deductbale) on a new c7; I drive 14k a year in downtown Dallas. I have a 4 year old accident and I pay half what you pay.

Last edited by village idiot; 03-22-2018 at 05:00 PM.
DowntownDallasVette (05-02-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 01:05 PM
DowntownDallasVette
5th Gear

Originally Posted by village idiot

lol I have like $500k coverage (but $1k deductbale) on a new c7 ha I drive 14k a year in downtown dallas. I have a 4 year old accident and I pay half what you pay.
Probably the Difference in Deductible driving up the monthly cost? (Uninsured Motorist? Rental Car Assistance? Roadside Assistance?) Do you have any of those services on your policy?

I'm definitely going to get Multiple New Quotes, as my policy with Travelers ends next month...

Thank y'all for the information so far!
Old 03-22-2018, 04:59 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Probably the Difference in Deductible driving up the monthly cost? (Uninsured Motorist? Rental Car Assistance? Roadside Assistance?) Do you have any of those services on your policy?

I'm definitely going to get Multiple New Quotes, as my policy with Travelers ends next month...

Thank y'all for the information so far!
Lower deductible and those services add like $400 at most. If you think the likelihood of getting in an accident is lower than the average insured person, go for a high deductible. Besides, virtually every shop will waive up to $500 of it anyway.

Progressive and geico are always competitive for me- about $1100/6mo.

I went with All State despite being $100 more expensive because I wanted to get an umbrella, homeowners and auto all with one carrier. I got into an accident that was not my fault at all, but it easily could have been if not for a witness. The other guy was super hurt and I was just kind of hurt. I only had 100k coverage and realized how quickly I could have lost a lot. I got higher premiums and once you're up that high, a million dollar umbrella was only $220/yr.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:33 PM
ir0nman11
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

$1700/year with 750 deductible. Clean record and no tickets with other cars in the plan w/ AAA. It is a bit high I agree
Old 05-01-2018, 03:20 PM
Texas1
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by z28lt1

This is all you can do....compare yourself, against yourself in the eye of various insurance companies. There is no point in comparing other's rates and premiums here....

Quick Reply: C7 Z51 insurance in Texas