Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Moving to Arizona next month - have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 08:48 PM
ZO6_Dom
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Moving to Arizona next month - have a few questions.

Hey guys like the title states, my fiance and I will be moving to the Avondale Arizona area next month.

First off I'd like to ask any locals what areas do you recommend renting in? Any neighborhoods to stay away from? I'll be going to school in Avondale, she will be working in Scottsdale so we're fairly open as far as where to live.

​​​Next, I've started the paperwork to get my AZ driver's license, ready to go into the DMV next week and complete that as i'm already living part time at a family friend's house outside of Phoenix while I look for work. I saw today they do have smog checks in AZ? Thought anything goes here as I follow a few Vette guys that literally have turbos sticking out of their hoods registered in AZ driving on the street as well as Skylines and other imports, but then I saw that I will in fact have to smog and that they do check for catalytic converters? Anyone have some smog shop recommendations? Feel free to PM me, much appreciated.

Last edited by ZO6_Dom; 01-26-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:12 AM
NorthBay
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on a lot of things. There are smog checks for those with cars registered in the Phoenix and Tucson areas. Some people register at county addresses that don't require the checks, and it's also possible to get collector car insurance which then exempts you from smog.

For OBD2 cars like yours, its just a diagnostic port plug in to check for fault codes, so as long as you aren't throwing any, you should pass without problem as long as you aren't on a standalone.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:36 AM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 764 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Welcome to the valley of the sun....
I just had my smog check or what ever you want to call it done. I'm running long tubes, no cats, and npp. Passed with flying colors, like previous post, as long as no check engine light is on and gas cap checks out your good to go. I use the smog shop on Deer Valley road by the Deer Valley airport, never took me more than 30 minutes at most to go thru.
My advise is go to the Scottsdale DMV, it's much larger and quicker then some others that are like a cattle call.....
Also check out our local vette club ACE, (Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts). No dues, no meetings, no membership, no rules, just cruises, get togethers, car show runs, etc. also you can ask on there about neighborhoods.
Good luck and hope to see you on ACE.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:11 PM
ZO6_Dom
Instructor

Originally Posted by SixAddict
Welcome to the valley of the sun....
I just had my smog check or what ever you want to call it done. I'm running long tubes, no cats, and npp. Passed with flying colors, like previous post, as long as no check engine light is on and gas cap checks out your good to go. I use the smog shop on Deer Valley road by the Deer Valley airport, never took me more than 30 minutes at most to go thru.
My advise is go to the Scottsdale DMV, it's much larger and quicker then some others that are like a cattle call.....
Also check out our local vette club ACE, (Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts). No dues, no meetings, no membership, no rules, just cruises, get togethers, car show runs, etc. also you can ask on there about neighborhoods.
Good luck and hope to see you on ACE.
Ahh okay, so nothing compared to the SMOG checks we have here in Cali, thats a relief.
Have similar mods to you and no CEL so should be good to go! ill look into the shop on Deer Valley Rd, thank you for the reccomendation!
Will absolutely be joining that club, assuming its a group on Facebook? sounds awesome!! Cant wait to meet up and cruise with you guys!

Old 01-28-2019, 03:11 PM
ZO6_Dom
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mjc1055
Depends on a lot of things. There are smog checks for those with cars registered in the Phoenix and Tucson areas. Some people register at county addresses that don't require the checks, and it's also possible to get collector car insurance which then exempts you from smog.

For OBD2 cars like yours, its just a diagnostic port plug in to check for fault codes, so as long as you aren't throwing any, you should pass without problem as long as you aren't on a standalone.

Okay that makes more sense, and what a relief sounds like I should be in the clear then! thanks for the reply!

Last edited by ZO6_Dom; 01-28-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:53 PM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 764 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Yes the club has a facespace, which I don't do, just the site is good for me.
Look forward to seeing your very sharp Z.
Speed safe.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:54 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

Early welcome to Arizona...If you were to stick to the central phoenix area (arts district), maybe even the Arcadia neighborhood, you'd be pretty much in the center of both your work and school locations. The Phoenix Metro area is huge, I'd try and stay near one of the interstates (10, 101, 51, 202) to ease your commutes.

Sweet Z!
Old 01-28-2019, 10:58 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Registration in AZ is expensive. So keep your old plates as long as possible.

My last renewal for my 2013 Z06 was $600 for ONE YEAR!!

Check out Scottsdale Pavillions for Car Shows on weekends.

That's all I can add.

Avoid Mexico.

Welcome to AZ!!!
Old 01-31-2019, 07:15 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Ditto on the cost for yearly registration in AZ....shameful! You should see what it costs on a Bentley. I'm embarrassed to put it in writing. I've some friends with exotics who own homes in other states and all of them register there, not in AZ.

Emissions is nothing more than an OBDII plug in and check for systems ready. So, as long as you're not showing any CELs and the ECU is in closed loop, you'll pass (any open drive cycles have to be completed). There are NO "inspections" like CA, and emissions only needs to be performed every other year.

If you're renting and looking for nice areas, West side in any of the communities along the 101 probably what you're looking for. Scottsdale will be ridiculously expensive for the same size apartment. Also, lots of the ACE Corvette guys are West siders. Mesa is reasonable, along Main street. Some of Tempe is OK, but a lot of parts are not.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:40 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Registration in AZ is expensive. So keep your old plates as long as possible.

My last renewal for my 2013 Z06 was $600 for ONE YEAR!!

Check out Scottsdale Pavillions for Car Shows on weekends.

That's all I can add.

Avoid Mexico.

Welcome to AZ!!!

I never bothered to change registration on either of my CA cars. CA DMV is more than happy to accept your AZ change of address and send your yearly renewals here. Much less expensive.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:37 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

How about OBD I cars? My 89 no longer uses the OBD computer. I'm using the Holley HP EFI computer and no cats with a Lingenfelter SBC 427. Will I have a problem registering my 89 Autocross car in Arizona insofar no smog stuff on the car? I live in a non-smog bennial smog inspection county in Northern California and I will be moving to Arizona in the very near future and I am wondering if I will have a problem with the inspection?
Old 02-03-2019, 06:48 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nokones
How about OBD I cars? My 89 no longer uses the OBD computer. I'm using the Holley HP EFI computer and no cats with a Lingenfelter SBC 427. Will I have a problem registering my 89 Autocross car in Arizona insofar no smog stuff on the car? I live in a non-smog bennial smog inspection county in Northern California and I will be moving to Arizona in the very near future and I am wondering if I will have a problem with the inspection?
If you're older than OBDII, then they do an old fashioned tailpipe reading. So, you're probably SOL w/o cats. I built an "old school" Factory Five Cobra w/carb, no cats, and I was exempt ONLY because it was registered as a 1965 replicar. If the vehicle is newer than 65, it needs emissions testing.

Then, the only testing done (required) is in high population areas - Phoenix and Tucson. If you live in a remote area, no emissions required. If you're talking about an autocross car that might not be registered to drive on the streets, then I don't think there is a requirement, but if you get a license plate for it, then yes.

Best of my knowledge....
Old 02-03-2019, 08:04 AM
Nokones
Drifting

For an example, if I try to register the car for the first time in Arizona, let's say in Sedona, will I be required to have an initial smog inspection just like in California or will I be exempt since I would be outside of Maricopa County?
Old 02-03-2019, 08:20 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nokones
For an example, if I try to register the car for the first time in Arizona, let's say in Sedona, will I be required to have an initial smog inspection just like in California or will I be exempt since I would be outside of Maricopa County?
Exempt and no initial test or any test in Sedona....far as I know.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:31 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Thanks, I appreciate the information.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:53 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,228 Likes on 775 Posts

it's super easy here. if the tuner set it up right you'll go through no problem. If need be pm me.
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

Old 02-05-2019, 10:35 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Originally Posted by Joe@CPR
it's super easy here. if the tuner set it up right you'll go through no problem. If need be pm me.
I remember chatting with you on the AZ Solo forum last year asking for recommendations on a shop that can do alignments and mount tires on my 18" Forgelines for my super zoomy go-fast autocross car when I move to Arizona.

Get notified of new replies

To Moving to Arizona next month - have a few questions.

Quick Reply: Moving to Arizona next month - have a few questions.