Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Beware of Bumper Boys (Chrome Plating)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 01:04 PM
GTS34
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Beware of Bumper Boys (Chrome Plating)

I have had my 67 Vette for close to 8-9 years now, and have put it on the back burner for a while. I sent the bumper's out to Bumper Boyz to be rechromed back in 98, and the Vent Window Frames in '01 when I also had a set of 59 Window Posts done. I sold the 59 over 6 months ago and really started working full time on the 67 in the last year+. I finally unwrapped the vent window frames, they were still wrapped in the plastic from Bumper Boys and noticed the chrome was flaking off.

I called them up and they only have a 2yr warranty on their products which I can understand, except for the fact these were still in the plastic and were never touched! There is no reason for the chrome to be falling off, except for the fact it must not have been done properly in the first place. If the car was out in the weather subject to rain, snow, and drastic weather changes then I can see the chrome possibly getting damaged (pitting), but considering they were still wrapped in the plastic as they sent it to me, and stored in a climate controlled environment (my house) I am pretty upset the chrome is flaking off, and they will not stand behind there product (services).

He wanted $100+ to fix it (EACH), so I simply told him if he won't stand behind his product there is NO WAY I am going to pay him to rechrome the same part twice because of a subpar job he did in the first place. I would rather send them to someone who will do it right the first time. I have spent thousands of dollars in the past few years with them and if is this is the way they are gonna treat the situation, they have lost my business for good.

Can anyone recommend a good chrome plating shop?

Last edited by GTS34; 03-24-2005 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:47 PM
andy60
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Use Librandi's Plating Middletown, Pa (next to Harrisburg). He is a Corvette guy and always at Corvettes at Carlisle. All the work I have seen from him has been great.

"The Bumper BoyZ" sure put on a large showing at the Carlisle events.
I do not understand how they can haul all of that stuff all the way from the west coast? But there must be "SOME MUCHO $$" because Al Knoch does the same thing? I am in the wrong business, computers, who knew?
Old 03-24-2005, 03:09 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

Ive been using Martins of Philadelphia since 1975. They are not cheap but the do outstanding work. I have a bumper they did in 1978 that still looks great and my car lives outside.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Solid327
Racer

Not the first bad referral I have heard about the Bumper Boyz.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:18 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the warning.

I've been thinking about using them since they're "local".

I'll stay away now, for sure.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by andy60
"The Bumper BoyZ" sure put on a large showing at the Carlisle events. I do not understand how they can haul all of that stuff all the way from the west coast? But there must be "SOME MUCHO $$" because Al Knoch does the same thing? I am in the wrong business, computers, who knew?
They don't, the guys you see at the car shows travel from show to show and get restocked via FEDEX. The AIRSHOW Vendors do the same thing, on the road several months at a time but they many runs to the bank.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:34 PM
EWJ
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid327
Not the first bad referral I have heard about the Bumper Boyz.
Me too. In following other web board (Mopar related), there has been nothing postive posted about Bumper Boys there either.

Stay away.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:47 PM
my58
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Seaside63
Thanks for the warning.

I've been thinking about using them since they're "local".

I'll stay away now, for sure.

Me Too! I was just about to use them.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

I used them years ago to rechrome my rear bumpers. I gave them a straight set ..and they sent me back a set that was real crappy ..missing a small section undernieth. The set they sent me had rusted really bad...they just chromed over the rust and rotted out area.

I had to wait 2 weeks for another set..and that set was crap also....finally I threatened to go to the BBB and my credit Card Co. 3 days later..i received a perfect set.

IMHO......Steer Clear..
Old 03-24-2005, 07:10 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

I have to do all my chrome on my 60....while I am not yet ready to do it, the task is on my list of things that need to be done.....there is nothing like getting references for this kind of work...and finding out who is happy and who is not....Bumper boys has too many negatives from what I have read to trust with my parts never mind spend my money with...where there is smoke there is fire....and that is good enough for me!

thanks all for the warnings!
Old 03-24-2005, 07:27 PM
Brucets11
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In Dayton is Larry Blakly. He did all my chrome on a '65 GTO and was somewhat slow but the work was very nice.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:31 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

First was the Chrome Nickel or Zinc plated, two or three step process. Most state having the Zinc three step process is illegal. ZINC is the best. Nickel flakes and chips with age. Now if you really want nice chrome, go to FRANFORD in PHILLY. Talke to Jonathan, THEY KNOW CORVETTES, been doing them for years. I got all my chrome down from them, they are expensive, but they have the best CHROME I am ever saw. They take their time to do it right, and stand behind their work. Highly recommend you get it done there.

BTW for those in the state of VIRGINIA...there is a place in Richmond, they only do NICKEL, as ZINC is illegal in this state.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:57 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Colin, I've heard a few things about the guys in Richmond that would make me think twice about using them. Hey since when did the Peoples Republic of Virginia become a state??
Old 03-24-2005, 10:39 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by EBVette
First was the Chrome Nickel or Zinc plated, two or three step process. Most state having the Zinc three step process is illegal. ZINC is the best. Nickel flakes and chips with age. Now if you really want nice chrome, go to FRANFORD in PHILLY. Talke to Jonathan, THEY KNOW CORVETTES, been doing them for years. I got all my chrome down from them, they are expensive, but they have the best CHROME I am ever saw. They take their time to do it right, and stand behind their work. Highly recommend you get it done there.

BTW for those in the state of VIRGINIA...there is a place in Richmond, they only do NICKEL, as ZINC is illegal in this state.
I have not heard of Zinc being used as the first stage (on a first rate quality job). I am use to COPPER plating as the first stage. Has something changed?

Plasticman
Old 03-24-2005, 10:51 PM
JWD01
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Plasticman
I have not heard of Zinc being used as the first stage (on a first rate quality job). I am use to COPPER plating as the first stage. Has something changed?

Plasticman

I've had lots of chrome work done over the past 30 years and have NEVER heard of zinc being any part of the process. Must be some Bubba version of chroming.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:03 AM
GTS34
Instructor

Thanks for all the recommendations, I'll definitely look into those places.

I think I first learned of them through their big display's at some of the swap meets. I never even realized they had such a poor reputation, I'm glad I brought it up now. I was just so mad after getting off the phone with them this morning I had to get it off my chest. It's not surprising to hear all the other negative feedback now though.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:42 AM
ragtopman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

[QUOTE=Plasticman]I have not heard of Zinc being used as the first stage (on a first rate quality job). I am use to COPPER plating as the first stage. Has something changed?
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have never heard anybody using zinc as the 1st step. Its always been copper be it acid(the best) or cyanide copper. Then the nickel is put on then the chromium.

Get notified of new replies

To Beware of Bumper Boys (Chrome Plating)

Old 03-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I was just talking to a friend yesterday about sending his perfectly straight bumpers and having them do the job.I think I talked him into keeping his and just buying out right,now this.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:14 PM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Copper plating is generally used mainly as a base for nickel or chrome plating. The copper is used to fill the flaws pit (pit marks etc.). The best plating shops use copper, if it is flaking, it means that it was not prepped well enough. Marks in the chrome are usually come out from the copper or nickel. Again poor prep work. Industrial shops tend to not take the time to do show chrome. Good chrome requires patience and a keen eye.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:06 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,038 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Thanks for the warning. I've never liked the way they've presented themselves at meets, and now I know that appearance reflects reality......sort of that low down, bottom-end used car salesman thing.

Quick Reply: Beware of Bumper Boys (Chrome Plating)