Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

I have been scammed by a car guy - long story/ David Young

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 06:37 PM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 10 Posts

Default I have been scammed by a car guy - long story/ David Young

While I hate to admit it - I have been scammed. Before you throw any posts telling me I was a fool let me beat you to it as I realize what I did. I also know how many times I have said that would never happen to me.

Facts about the person that has my money -
Name used - Dave Young
Forum name - LT-1Healey
email address - daveyoung1966@hotmail.com
Address used - 855 South Main Ave
Suite K
Fallbrook CA 92028
Ebay name used - 1sunshineman
Phone number used 858 210 1014
This phone number may have been changes although he did use it to place ads in at least two local papers looking to buy Corvette parts.
One of his other victims is an 84 year old man that sold him a gas cap for a later model and sent it to the same address and never received payment. He told me that 1sunshineman has over 170 feedback ratings on ebay. He did speak with him several times and had the same experiance although Dave used a different assistant name of Connie Stevenson. He used Laura with me - these are made up people that he uses to return calls and emails saying he is out of town.

A year ago I was contacted by a guy that said he saw on the forum that I buy LT-1 parts. The initial contact was via email and that led to several phone calls. He seemed very knowledgeable and had a great story on how he used to work for a Chevy dealer in Albany NY and that he and his brother raced and how he had all of these NOS parts that he wanted to sell. From these lengthy conversations and emails he was very clear giving me a detailed parts list with all of the numbers and he let me know that he was speaking with a couple other Corvette guys and they also wanted his parts. The one catch was that he now lives right outside San Diego so he would get his brother to open the place up for me to pick everything up.

He was pretty good saying how the other buyers were ready to go and actually refusing to sell me the parts at first as the other folks “needed them more”. Well I took the bait hook line and sinker. I matched the other buyers offer and sent off a $1,500 deposit to a PO Box in Fallbrook CA expecting to have the parts within a few days. Needless to say there was one excuse after another on why his brother couldn't make it nor could he break away. We were communicating via phone and emails many times and he always seemed like a regular car guy. He also offered me additional parts and didn't request any more money so I figured he was legit. I had googled the place he said the parts were and it looked to be a commercial building fitting his description. Of course I didn't look close enough as the street number he had given me actually doesn't exist. I called the place across the street as I could see the number on google earth and the guy told me there was no such place as I described and also no tax records at the city. (should have done this before sending the money I know)

He made up several other people like his assistant who would send me emails and other family members. When I had enough last winter his assistant offered to send me my money back if I didn't want to buy but the lust for all of those parts got the better of me and I decided to wait – after all he seemed so believable on the phone.
When I started really pushing a few weeks ago I was told by his “assistant” that Dave was out of communication for three months. I watched his forum account and sure enough he was online a couple days ago. When I called his number and left a message some guy called me back to say he wasn't Dave and had recently got that phone number. He told me he had received several messages like mine and he gave me some of the numbers to follow up on. He also mentioned that when he googled the phone number there are a couple ads where this guy is looking to buy Corvette parts. The one guy I have spoken with said that he sold Dave a part and was never sent payment. He also said that Dave made up an assistant although this one has a different name. The guy got scammed because Dave had over 170 purchases on ebay. I also found out he used the same postal box for this delivery and his ads are from the southern Calif area so I think he operates only from that area.

Long story I know but believe me it would be 4 times as long with all of the details and I have every email since day one. I will be checking with the moderator on how to let everyone know his forum name as well as the name he goes by. For now we are looking into all legal opportunities.

Last edited by spf72; 10-15-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Add Facts
Old 10-14-2013, 06:45 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh my gosh so sorry to hear this. Maybe if it involved another forum member maybe post in transactions feedback and alert others of this member.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:50 PM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

He is a forum member but I think just to get info as he never posts, that is how he got to me. I have sent a note to the moderator asking how to proceed.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:50 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I don't think you were a fool. No matter how much we all think we can't be scammed, sooner or later most of us will fall for one. I've been lucky so far, but I'm not cocky enough to think I'll never get scammed.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:53 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hang in there brother. The moderator in this section also works the transactions feedback. He will guide you well.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:59 PM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks guys. I know at least one other forum member spoke with the guy although he was smart enough to stay away. I don't think an email scam would get me but having these multiple conversations with the guy he just seemed so believable. And the thought of buying a complete NOS LT-1 with the right date codes for my car was just to tempting.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:10 PM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Damn, that really sucks.
Scammers are the Scum of the earth.
Good luck on getting restitution.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

P.o. Box payment theft? Doesn't that make it worse for the guy? Notify the post office?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:50 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkyvette
P.o. Box payment theft? Doesn't that make it worse for the guy? Notify the post office?
Old 10-15-2013, 10:25 AM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I'll have to third Arkyvette's recomendation.
Sorry that you got scammed. Some of us have been through similar b/s. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:33 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Some time has passed. Anything new? btw- This sucks.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:40 PM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes we have some movement. I have identified several other people that have a history and have been scammed by Dave and we are making progress. He has been doing this for some time and all around the country. More to follow.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:23 PM
PeterMAX1
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Beware of Ebay i.d Davesautohouse who also has i.d. thefinecarcollection. He uses the address:

Lou Young
2435 Industry St Ste A
Oceanside, CA 92054-4862
daveyoung1966@hotmail.com
uses # 760 851 6943

He bought a NOS speedometer for a 65 - 67 Corvette from a close friend using the i.d thefinecarcollection. The AC Delco box was opened for the first time to take the pictures for E Bay. Within days of receipt Dave or "Lou" contacted my friend and claimed the speedometer was defective. My friend had to send him a return label. Dave or "Lou" sent back the part with the guts swapped out. The pictures show the before and after positioning of the screws as well as the odometer readings of "1" as NOS and "0" upon return. My friend had the mailman sign a statement that the package was opened in his presence because Dave or "Lou" added a signature requirement. E Bay agreed with my friend after seeing all the evidence and did not take the money out of my friend's account, about 650.00 but the DID refund Dave Young on the E Bay dime. Other threads on here talk about how he brags about screwing E Bay sellers. Type in Dave Young or David Young in the search window to read about others. Who among us will be his next victim?

Old 09-30-2017, 03:49 AM
DavidYoungScammed
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got ripped off by Dave Young too. Trying to see what I can do to help see this guy put away.

And actually, I won my eBay appeal, so I got the money and now have another not too bad part to sell but still, this jerk has to go. Let me know if there is anything I can do.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:55 PM
PeterMAX1
Intermediate

Did you fill out a "report buyer" report? It is different than the process you used to appeal an item not described case.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:58 AM
DavidYoungScammed
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by PeterMAX1
Did you fill out a "report buyer" report? It is different than the process you used to appeal an item not described case.
Yes, and I'm taking it a bit further than that too. This guys is going down one way or another.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:05 AM
PeterMAX1
Intermediate

Default Other Options

Originally Posted by DavidYoungScammed
Yes, and I'm taking it a bit further than that too. This guys is going down one way or another.
1.) Postal Inspectors - if he using the US mail as he did with my friend, that can be a crime as he is using the mail to steal

2.) Oceanside Police - Property Crimes Division - 760-435-4861- Sgt. John McKean

Get notified of new replies

To I have been scammed by a car guy - long story/ David Young

Old 10-02-2017, 11:29 AM
DavidYoungScammed
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by PeterMAX1
1.) Postal Inspectors - if he using the US mail as he did with my friend, that can be a crime as he is using the mail to steal

2.) Oceanside Police - Property Crimes Division - 760-435-4861- Sgt. John McKean
Thanks for the help - I'll make a note of that.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:06 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

I called him on some c2 parts told me he had almost any thing that I was looking for. I acted like I was thinking he was someone else & he is a talker for sure. Said he was Dave & if I was in need for corvette parts just to get back up with him. Robert
Old 04-24-2020, 12:20 PM
49oldscoupe
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I know this is an old thread but I joined this forum because Dave Young is trying to scam me on eBay as we speak. He purchased some Sun gauges off of me. A few weeks after receiving them sent a message claiming a couple of them didn’t work. He attempted multiple times to get me to reduce the price drastically threatening to file a buyer’s protection claim if I didn’t. I found it odd that he seemed more interested in reducing the cost than just sending everything back for a full refund. I googled his name and address and the very first thing that comes up on the internet are the links in this forum detailing his scams. Thanks to the info on this forum I was wise to his tactics so I refused to discount the gauges. He eventually filed a return request but he is now taking advantage of eBay’s extended window to return for items because of the the Coronavirus. I received a message from “Laura” this morning stating that they would send back the gauges when they get back from their home in Lake Tahoe on May 17th. I suspect, as has happened to some of you, he will send back incorrect items or not send any back at all.

I have reported him to eBay and copied them on the multiple links on this forum detailing his tactics. An eBay risk management team is going to review his activity. It would be helpful if any of you that have been scammed by him on ebay, would share your eBay user names and if possible the eBay item #’s that he scammed you on to show the risk management team his pattern of activity. Hopefully we can get him removed from eBay once and for all.

Thanks
Dave Bradley

Quick Reply: I have been scammed by a car guy - long story/ David Young