Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Corvette Central shipping charges

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 06:14 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Corvette Central shipping charges

I know they are a sponsoring vendor on this site and wonder if others here have experienced this?
I just sent them the following message to customer service.

“Please pass this on to both you shipping department and owner.

I have been a loyal customer of yours for the last 4 years but I am going to stop ordering from you if this does not stop.

Today I received three rubber radiator seals in a 30”Lx12”Wx5.5”D box with air seal packing. The standard shipping charge was $18.14
These seals could have easily been folded in 1/2 and mailed in an envelope with no damage for probably under $5.00
I have complained about these rediculous types of shipping charges in the past.

Please be more concientious about your shipping charges to the customer

Sincerely,
Darryl Dayton”

If you too have had this experience please let them know. They can’t fix it if they don’t know about it.

The picture is how they could have been folded measuring 11”x7”. No one is using any common sense about packaging things like this.

Old 08-18-2021, 06:32 PM
berlinlake
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 88 Posts

I know shipping charges have gone up with all of them. I try to combine things when I can.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:43 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Just like all the other threads, there's nothing you can do about it. Pay the charges or don't get it, that's the choice.
They could raise the price and lower the shipping charges to cover their handling employees but their price would be the same or more. Combine orders or order Amazon and get free shipping.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:11 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

I have purchased parts that were less than the shipping charge. I rebuild everything that I can and I have 3 storage buildings full of 60s parts. Can't sell the parts online as the shipping costs are more than the part is worth. Guess China wins, I'll dig a hole with the old hoe and bury it all. Capitalist have won the inflation war.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:26 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Just like all the other threads, there's nothing you can do about it. Pay the charges or don't get it, that's the choice.
They could raise the price and lower the shipping charges to cover their handling employees but their price would be the same or more. Combine orders or order Amazon and get free shipping.
That is not the point. Other companies pay attention as to how to ship economically ant they should also. I have given a good alternative solution. If it happens with them again I will be buying from another vendor. It is ridiculous to ship something like this in a 30”x12” box.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:33 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

If they folded it, or rolled it, and shipped in a smaller box, they would get complaints that they folded it, or rolled it, and now it's not usable.
no matter what they do, they will get complaints.
It would probably be best if on line shopping was banned, and customers just drive in to town to the store, like before there were computers.
That way everyone would be happy. Unless they didn't live near the town where the store is.
I think I'll just live with the shipping costs, and keep the online shopping.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:37 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
That is not the point. Other companies pay attention as to how to ship economically ant they should also. I have given a good alternative solution. If it happens with them again I will be buying from another vendor. It is ridiculous to ship something like this in a 30”x12” box.
See post # 4. Nobody can afford to do business if they lose money on shipping AND handling. That includes stocking, pulling, boxing, shipping and restocking. It just shows how much cheaper everything gets when minimum wage goes double.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:40 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,255 Likes on 838 Posts

They have been doing this for a long time. I had the same thing happen and contacted them.
Either bend over, or go somewhere else.
I left.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:45 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,022 Likes on 682 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi

Correct! I just received a couple of labels about 2x4 inches with shipping about $9 on a $21 total. To CC’s credit, they were packaged well and attached to cardboard for protection. Shipped in a PO Box. Correct charge for that, well packaged, but why not a padded envelope or something smaller. I could still see the Paragon label under the CC label.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:10 AM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

I get your point and constructive criticism is a good avenue to take. Thankfully I live only an hour and a half from Carlisle and it's less than 2 weeks from now !

Last edited by Mikado463; 08-19-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:22 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,554 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

I think Darryl has a valid point. I don’t experience this with other vendors. Amazon is the great equalizer and other Corvette suppliers like Zip have many of the same parts.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:46 AM
berlinlake
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 88 Posts

I've had instances recently where I ordered from one of the major online parts vendors because it said the item was in stock and the price was about $10 dollars cheaper than the other place I considered. After ordering the item it didn't ship for two days so I called and was then told the item was on back-order even though the website said it was in stock. I cancelled the order on the phone and then ordered online from the other place. It cost me a few dollars more but shipped that day. This has happened more than once.

I'm not sure what the difference in shipping costs were but the difference in availability and customer service is generally of more importance to me. I'm willing to wait if there's a difference in part reproduction quality but that's not always the case.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:53 AM
watson
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 175 Posts

I also stopped using Corvette Central because of the shipping charges. I needed two valve cover decals and they refused to ship them for less than their flat rate charge. I shopped around and found that Zip was willing to just mail them to me in an envelope. I am fortunate that I live close to Corvette Pacifica here in California. They let me stop by and pick up my orders.

Doc
Old 08-19-2021, 11:52 AM
65vette396
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 119 Posts

I ordered a dist tag (small alum 4" pc) and a set of 4 french locks from Corvette Central a couple of weeks ago. Total value of less than $50. They were going to charge me something like $46 in shipping and handling. I complained and pleaded my case that both items could easily be shipped in a std envelope for less than $10. They were nice about it and explained that the french locks would ship from them but that the dist tag would ship directly from the supplier (which turned out to be Paragon). They lowered my total shipping to a more reasonable $14 for both shipments. I have bought multiple times over the years from them and consider CC to be top notch in quality of product and customer service. If the shipping seems too high, just ask for a reduction to be considered. The order dept even agreed with me on the excessive amount but stated that it was a std set amount probably based on UPS charges and even by dollar value and not actual weight. UPS has raised shipping prices considerably in recent months. Most internet and mail order companies are including a handling charge in the shipping charges. Labor costs are soaring and that's if you can even find someone who is willing to show up each day and wants to work. Common sense should prevail.
JH
Old 08-19-2021, 12:08 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Can't sell the parts online as the shipping costs are more than the part is worth.
Experiencing the same thing...either I go to the swap meet or its dumpster time.
Friend parts vettes out on ebay hes eating crap now...nobodys buying, ebays gonna take 20%? Plus all the hassles, scammers etc.
I prefer driving somewhere and the experience of shopping, the online thing not too much.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:18 PM
Chalie M
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Shipping charges are Crazy I really believe some companies are using shipping to generate profit also.. Think about it, in a years time if 1 million or so packages were shipped out of that company & they tacked on $0.99 on every package do the math what kind of money would that generate in 1 yr..
Covid, is the excuse now for everything…
Old 08-19-2021, 02:28 PM
BD104X
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Chalie M
Shipping charges are Crazy I really believe some companies are using shipping to generate profit also.. Think about it, in a years time if 1 million or so packages were shipped out of that company & they tacked on $0.99 on every package do the math what kind of money would that generate in 1 yr..
Covid, is the excuse now for everything…
I sell Porsche parts online and can 100% confirm that you are correct: the difference between what you pay & what you charge for shipping is part of the bottom line. Its kind of like the worst kept secret in e-commerce! It's basically a necessity as the margins on online sales are pretty thin. They are also trying to cover the expense of the box, tape, packing, labels, etc that is part of it. And to the OP, they could fold it 20 times and it wouldn't make a difference- the shipping is likely calculated by their computer system and based on a percentage of cost, and most of the shippers charge by the pound (unless it's an oversized item). As an online seller, you try to get the best rate possible but then you charge what the average person who walked into a UPS or FedEx store off the street would pay. You have every right to let them know how you feel about the shipping charges, but I guarantee if they lower the shipping charge, they will raise the price of the part.
Attached Images  

Last edited by BD104X; 08-19-2021 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:17 PM
Deb Hunter
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Postal Charges have increased shipping. I know CC does use the USPS and postal packaging which is prepaid. This may or may not save you a few bucks depending on what you order but is usually a bit more than other companies. Like everyone says...order enough product to fit into the box and the shipping will be the same for all items. I never order just one item. There is always something else you will need down the road. They also do have free shipping events throughout the year if you spend so much so sometimes I just keep adding to my list until that time comes. I do not live close to any store that comes close to having corvette parts so am used to this. Live in a farming community and don't even have a parts store where I could go pick up a part for my old farm tractor.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:07 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

as always, review the total charge..
subscribe to various parts houses's newsletters,
review if they have the part in inventory or do you have to wait a month for it..
many houses have free shipping sales a few times thruout the year.
some will send you a free shipping coupon after you spend some money with them..
always look for coupons, advance and autozone have a perpetual 20% off and free shipping over X amount.

all these concepts should adjust how much you should pay.

still in general, you will get screwed buying a small order..

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Central shipping charges

Quick Reply: Corvette Central shipping charges