Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Courtesy Shipment Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 06:30 PM
sdl97
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Courtesy Shipment Nightmare

We ordered our C6 through Maxie Price Chevrolet and opted for the courtesy drop at our local dealer, Cole Chevrolet. Our car arrived Monday, August 30, at the local dealer. Then the nightmare began. When we went to look at the car on Tuesday, the windows in the car were down and people were standing there with their heads in the window. Key fobs were laying in the center console and car was not placed in reverse as instructed for the 6 speed. Upon inspection of car I noticed there was no window sticker and pointed it out to local courtesy dealer representative. I was told that was no problem since it happens on new models. Wednesday we were notified by Maxie Price (Monica Dean) that we could not take delivery of the car until the window sticker arrived. No one seems to know where the original sticker was sent, Maxie Price or local dealer. A new sticker had to be ordered on this day and was to be sent my US mail only. Express delivery of sticker not an option. We have been notified that a third sticker has been ordered just in case the other two do not show up. During this time the car sets out every day in the service department customer service pick up area with the windows down. We spoke to owner of local dealership and were told the car would receive no special treatment from them and we would not be allowed to test drive the car before taking delivery. At the soonest we have about another week to wait on the sticker and take delivery. If you are considering courtesy deliver, be warned. Courtesy is not an option when you work with two dealerships that don't follow up and look out for their customers.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:35 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Can you refuse the car and get another C6?
Old 09-04-2004, 06:35 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

I'm very tempted to say, "what did/do you expect?"
Old 09-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Barely Legal
Burning Brakes

You slapped the delaer pretty hard with a "courtesy" delivery and think your going to have a good experience? You're lucky they don't park it under the pigeon nest. It's gonna be scratched and lose most of it's new smell. Funny how these cars are treated like Bentlys at all dealers but yours will receive "no special treatment."
Old 09-04-2004, 06:41 PM
sdl97
Intermediate

Jim 2527, You must be a car salesman or dealer to make this comment.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:46 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Museum delivery is looking better and better each day.

Jay
Old 09-04-2004, 06:50 PM
sorka
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Barely Legal
You slapped the delaer pretty hard with a "courtesy" delivery and think your going to have a good experience? You're lucky they don't park it under the pigeon nest. It's gonna be scratched and lose most of it's new smell. Funny how these cars are treated like Bentlys at all dealers but yours will receive "no special treatment."
I disagree. The dealer is completely responsible for anything that happends to the car while it is there. If birds do-do on and it eats through the paint, the dealer will have to pay for a factory quality paint job which could run the $10K+ easily. Any scratches or other damage must be fixed by them if you find it before you take delivery. It is in their best interest to keep it perfect. If they don't, the fact that they've behaved this way will only seal their doom once you start calling out all the little imperfections that they could have prevented.

I strongly suggest that if you do decide to take delivery that you spend at least 3 hours inspecting *EVERY* surface inside and out. This includes underneath the car and especially the rocker panels. Make sure they used the kentmoore lift pads and insist that they show you they have the pads. A lot of dealers don't even have them and will do things like use 2x4s with rags on top to lift it.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:52 PM
DonYellowC6
Advanced

Sad story, but not too surprising the way America works these days. Money is not the most important thing, it is the ONLY thing. You didn't buy from the "courtesty drop-off" dealer so they made no money off your order. Therefore, they have no interest in your happiness and well being. Sad but true.

I can readily identify with your concern about being ripped off for $10K (or more) over MSRP by most dealers. I felt the same way but managed (via a major internet "witch hunt") to find a local dealer willing to sell me a C6 at MSRP (City Chevrolet in San Diego). Steve at City has been a real pleasure to deal with. Our museum delivery is set for Sept. 20th. So far, the whole process has been as pleasant as yours has shaped up to be unpleasant. Good luck. I hope it will eventually work out well for you.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Oilpatch
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

This is the kind of treatment I fear. Honestly, it's not like they don't make any money. Call the General!
Old 09-04-2004, 06:54 PM
STBC6
Advanced

OMG; I would freak. Someone’s *** should be responsible. A sticker should only be a technicality at the most in a situation under these circumstances.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:57 PM
John George
Melting Slicks

Location: All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies. --Bokonon
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'07

Courtesy delivery or not, this treatment is not justified. It's reasonable to expect competent delivery for a courtesy delivery. The dealership could have simpy refused the delivery if it did not want the business. This appears to be a situation where the consumer loses out in the question of who are you buying from, a dealership or GM. Where do you complain and who is responsible for correcting the situation? It doesn't appear the the dealership here takes the consumer experience seriously. Nor does it care to extend any goodwill in the interest of future service or sales to a courtesy delivery customer.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:16 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you were not able to take immediate delivery they will probably charge you storage fee.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:40 PM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by sdl97
Jim 2527, You must be a car salesman or dealer to make this comment.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Kaosinla
Pro

Location: Beverly Hills No Job is Too Small, No Fee is Too Big!!!

Originally Posted by sorka
I disagree. The dealer is completely responsible for anything that happends to the car while it is there. If birds do-do on and it eats through the paint, the dealer will have to pay for a factory quality paint job which could run the $10K+ easily. Any scratches or other damage must be fixed by them if you find it before you take delivery. It is in their best interest to keep it perfect. If they don't, the fact that they've behaved this way will only seal their doom once you start calling out all the little imperfections that they could have prevented.

I strongly suggest that if you do decide to take delivery that you spend at least 3 hours inspecting *EVERY* surface inside and out. This includes underneath the car and especially the rocker panels. Make sure they used the kentmoore lift pads and insist that they show you they have the pads. A lot of dealers don't even have them and will do things like use 2x4s with rags on top to lift it.

Closely examine every inch.

Good Luck!!!
Old 09-04-2004, 08:01 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by jim2527
I'm very tempted to say, "what did/do you expect?"
I'm very tempted to say "you're a douchebag" , but of course, such statements are not allowed here so I won't say it.

I can't believe the jerks here who think this guy deserves to be dumped on because he chose Courtesy delivery. Courtesy delivery is a recognized process and does not mean you should be treated poorly. If the "courtesy" dealer did not want to do the deal, they should not have accepted.

sdl97, I'm sorry to hear this and you don't deserve to be treated this way. I hope you get your happy day soon and everything turns out o.k. Thank you for sharing your story because you have helped me to choose Museum Delivery if I am not able to get a good deal in Houston next year. I hope it works out for you.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:17 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Barely Legal
You slapped the delaer pretty hard with a "courtesy" delivery and think your going to have a good experience?

Wait a minute the dealer didn't have to agree to do a courtesy delivery. They are getting paid to do this. So YES I would expect the SAME customer service as anyone else buying a car directly from them. Isn't the dealership also getting C6 exposure by having this car there?

And why would the window sticker be missing and off the car to begin with? Or didn't anyone give them instructions to leave it on?
Old 09-04-2004, 08:27 PM
c64lucky
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Courtesy Deliveries

Any Attorney's out there?

I am doing a Courtesy delivery also. This is a standard practice with most Makes of vehicles. Dealers don't have to do Courtesy Deliveries. If they choose to do so, they set the Fee.

If they don't want the Business, don't offer the Service.

If they do offer the Service and set a Fee, haven't they put themselves in a position of liability?

Where do we stand legally?

C64GR

Get notified of new replies

To Courtesy Shipment Nightmare

Old 09-04-2004, 08:33 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shylor
Wait a minute the dealer didn't have to agree to do a courtesy delivery. They are getting paid to do this. So YES I would expect the SAME customer service as anyone else buying a car directly from them. Isn't the dealership also getting C6 exposure by having this car there?

And why would the window sticker be missing and off the car to begin with? Or didn't anyone give them instructions to leave it on?
Yes, they are getting paid for it - PDI expense from the General, plus whatever else they asked for from the buyer.

It's actually quite common for the first cars from a new model run not to have a sticker from the factory.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:34 PM
05C6spdvert
Drifting

I would walk away. No question about it.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:34 PM
captwfcall
Advanced

I'd refuse delivery and get my deposit back asap.

I'd then file a BBB complaint against that dealership.
Then send a letter to GM's executive complaint department via www.planetfeedback.com (its free)

I wouldnt doubt it if they are letting people test drive the thing from the sounds of it. no way i'd pay money for that car at this point. No telling who has been sitting in it. kids with candy, slobs with gas-problems, etc. you just don't know at this point. any dealership who sells GM vehicles knows that a new-corvette buyer wants a car that is untouched.

That is so damn sorry for the dealer to do, it angers me just to think about it.

Who is the dealer? Do you mind letting us know so we know where not to go if we ever want a Chevy?

I'd also let Monica know and get her to take care of it..from what I've read from her she seems to be a stand-up person who wouldnt stand for this herself.

Last edited by captwfcall; 09-04-2004 at 08:37 PM.