Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitto 555 RII vs PS2's and GSD3's

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 10:09 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Default Nitto 555 RII vs PS2's and GSD3's

Ok so here is the deal. I am buying new rims and tires and have to get a tire that is good for the street. My understanding is that the Nitto is the most streetable (is that a word?) of the competition tires, correct me if I am wrong. This is important to me since I live in NE Ohio and although I don't go out in the rain, it can rain most anytime. My car is a weekend car and I am looking to do some 1/4 mile runs next year, maybe a track day or two. My understanding of this tire is that it is also the least sticky of the DR's but again it is the most streetable? so, its a trade-off.
Now if I am way off base on the above just let me know and I will rethink think this again. However, if I am pretty much on the mark with the above would it also be true that while not as good in say the rain, the Nitto 555 RII will be a better tire for dry traction than the PS2 and the GSD3? I currently have the PS2's on stock rims, and they are a great tire, but I would like to get a bit more stick. Plus I plan to keep my current wheel tire setup so if I go on a long drive for vacation I'll have them to switch out.

Thanks for your input,

Darion

Old 08-25-2006, 07:04 PM
NW_Vettes
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RII's are a street drag radial (great for autocross) with stiff side walls. Meaning typical street drag radials actually have give in the side walls for better launch. My preference is the RII's since they actually give you the best of both worlds (twisties and some sticky launch capacity).

On the other hand these are sticky tires and 1) they don't last long (well under 10k miles) mine usually last 4-5k miles 2) they are so sticky they throw up a lot of rocks and are harsh on the paint 3) stay out of the cold and wet weather with all drag radials or you'll end up in the ditch or curb or drive like a grandma in those conditions and then also pucker up
Old 08-25-2006, 07:50 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Thanks for the information. I'm fine with not getting a ton of miles out of them, I don't drive much anyway, so that works. I plan to put the C6 wheel opening gaurds, mod them to fit, on this winter so I should get some paint protection, thanks for that info. Car will not see cold weather and as for rain, only if I get caught in it, which I try not to. How does the 285-18 front fit, no rubbing? If front size is no problem sounds like the right tire for me.

Thanks for the skinny,

Darion

Old 09-04-2006, 02:34 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The RII's are the "road race and auto cross DOT competition radial tires," the R's are the DOT competition drag radial tires. The difference is the stiffer sidewall on the RII's. I use them on my C6Z (18" wheels all around) for going to and driving on road tracks. They are really good for that purpose. I can't tell you much about how long they would last on the highway - I get about 3-4 track days on the fronts, an extra day or two on the rears.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Thanks for the reply and the information. Ordering up a new set of CCW's and gonna give the RII's a try. I don't drive many miles so tread wear isn't much of a concern for me.

Thanks again,

Darion

Old 09-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,409 Likes on 612 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Darion
Thanks for the information. I'm fine with not getting a ton of miles out of them, I don't drive much anyway, so that works. I plan to put the C6 wheel opening gaurds, mod them to fit, on this winter so I should get some paint protection, thanks for that info. Car will not see cold weather and as for rain, only if I get caught in it, which I try not to. How does the 285-18 front fit, no rubbing? If front size is no problem sounds like the right tire for me.

Thanks for the skinny,

Darion

The RII's are the stickiest tire of the 3 you mention BY FAR. If that is what you are looking for then they would be great.

Only problem, they only come in 3 sizes and the 285/35 front is HUGE and may very well cause problems. The other option for front would be a 275/40x17

The 305/35x18 and the 285/35x18 are the actual matching set tires for front and rear.

The do definately wear quickly too.

I run Goodyear GS-D3's and love those tires. They are sticky and great in water.

If you do get that occasional rain that you say you could encounter, I'd suggest the nearest safe parking spot if you go with the Nitto RII's.

I'd also suggest you look a little more into the fit of that 285/35x18 for the front of your C5

Sully here on the forum runs these tires on his car at the track. He could tell you much more.

Get notified of new replies

To Nitto 555 RII vs PS2's and GSD3's

Quick Reply: Nitto 555 RII vs PS2's and GSD3's