Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very Quietest tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:03 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Very Quietest tires?

I am looking to replace my runflat tires. They are newer but so loud on the road they are a problem with hands free phone calls and voice command with my new audio install.

What is the most quiet tire for the C-5 Corvette? Would be nice to know from someone with expertise on this before I just buy a non runflat and find out another brand or model was better.

I was in my local Corvette shop yesterday and was able to look at two tires, runflat and non runflat. Same make and model tire, same tread. Incredible how stiff the runflat is compared to a standard tire! I can see now where all the noise comes from.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2007, 09:36 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have a set of Toyo T1-S non-runflats on my 02 and they have a horrible howl on the freeway. I hve Kumho Escta MX tires on my C4 and they are very quiet.

Some of the noise is generated by tread pattern and not the construction of the tire. Run flats have a much stiffer sidewall to hold the tire up in case of a pressure loss.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:32 PM
fat bob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by minitech
I am looking to replace my runflat tires. They are newer but so loud on the road they are a problem with hands free phone calls and voice command with my new audio install.

What is the most quiet tire for the C-5 Corvette? Would be nice to know from someone with expertise on this before I just buy a non runflat and find out another brand or model was better.

I was in my local Corvette shop yesterday and was able to look at two tires, runflat and non runflat. Same make and model tire, same tread. Incredible how stiff the runflat is compared to a standard tire! I can see now where all the noise comes from.

Thanks
I am running Michelin Pilot Sport AS ZP and in my opinion they are dead quiet without having to give up the runflat option.

These tires spec is to be able to run 50 miles, no pressure no damage.

The original GY C-5 design would go 200 miles, no pressure no damage.

There will be many opinions, I think these tires are the best in my experience.

Bob
Old 11-14-2007, 11:01 AM
LarryW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never used runflats on any of my cars but from all of the posts that I seen here indicates that noise and runflats go hand-in-hand

I'm currently running Michelin PS2s on my 04 C5Z (which came with Goodyear Eagle F1 SCs). I put a tad bit over 8K miles on my original GY SCs before switching over to the PS2s (plenty of tread left on the GY SCs BTW ). I just wanted to switch wheels and decided to try the PS2s (and I'm glad I did).

The PS2s are noticeably quieter than the GY SCs (to my ears ) and ride softer (due to a softer/stickier compound from what I understand) but cost a tad bit more...see this thread for some additional info: Michellin PS2s as good at F1 Supercars in cold?

I will run nothing but PS2s on my C5

Larry
Old 11-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Biggie G
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Kuhmo MX and Michelin pilot tires are super duper quiet........I think they give a smoother ride then the runflats
Old 11-18-2007, 11:24 AM
CKMark
Advanced

I have toyo t1-r's on my c5 and they do not howl loud at all.
My dad and brother have goodyear eagle f1-d3's on their c5 & c4 and they don't howl either.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:54 PM
CC Rider
Instructor

Originally Posted by fat bob
I am running Michelin Pilot Sport AS ZP and in my opinion they are dead quiet without having to give up the runflat option.

Bob
Old 12-08-2007, 12:45 AM
VortechFRC
Instructor

Originally Posted by fat bob

Bob
, my Michelin Pilot Sport tires are quiet too and they are low on tread also.

Get notified of new replies

To Very Quietest tires?

Quick Reply: Very Quietest tires?