Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Down to what temperature do you use summer tires on clear sunny days?
40F or up
37.50%
32F to 39F
20.83%
20F to 31F
8.33%
Below 20F
25.00%
Use winter tire, don't drive it during winter, etc
8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Summer tires in cold dry sunny winter days

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 12:23 PM
opua
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summer tires in cold dry sunny winter days

As I got into my car today after grocery shopping at Wegman's, I happened to glance at the MB CLS-55 AMG. I noticed that it wore summer tires. Temparature wise was 30F, with day time high projected to be 38F. Then my curiosity got into me. I looked around and saw a Boxster and a Corvette Z06. (This Wegman's is in a well-to-do area.) I checked their tires, and both wore summer tires. Which got me thinking ....

to those who live in the cold weather, how cold do you drive your car with summer tires on at the time you go out?
- Assume day time high will be 5F higher than when you're about to go out.
- Roads are clear, free of ice, snow, salt and it's a beautiful day.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Joey D
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I just dont mash the gas when its cold out and I'm fine. Thats really it...just a matter of self control, which is not alwways so easy.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:40 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

It depends on the tire.
I had bridgestones and firestone summer tires, that were useless under 35 degrees.

I currently have Kumho summer tires, and they are fine all year long.

But for the most part, I switched to all season tires.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:10 AM
c4zf6nut
Instructor

Which Kumho do you have? My father has MX (KU15) and I told him to park the car if the temperature is 40 or below.

Originally Posted by the blur
It depends on the tire.
I had bridgestones and firestone summer tires, that were useless under 35 degrees.

I currently have Kumho summer tires, and they are fine all year long.

But for the most part, I switched to all season tires.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:44 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

The Kumho 712's seem ok in freezing weather.

any other "preformance" tire I owned was useless in the cold.
The Firestone's were the worst. The firestones went hard at 40 degree's.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

It seems most tire companies consider 40 F to be the lower limit of summer tires, under that you loose more than 30% of your traction. But, if you don't have snow or ice, you are okay if you take it easy (and use traction control). Once snow or ice is present and under 40 F you are toast.

Surprisingly, even all-season tires (which say M&S (for mud and snow) on the sidewalls) aren't recommended for sub-freezing temperatures or deep snow. Only winter tires (they have a jagged mountain with a snowflake on it symbol on the sidewalls) are good in really low temperatures and snow. So you Canadian people are right in switching tires (but you knew that). BTW, if your tires don't have M&S or the jagged mountain on the sidewalls, they are summer tires.

Conversely, winter tires usually won't have a high speed rating, their soft rubber compound will wear too much and not hold up to high speed driving. They also have much less traction and poor handling in hot weather.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:45 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

"Roads are clear, free of ice, snow, salt and it's a beautiful day"

I just warm up the runflats before I get on it...
Old 02-03-2009, 02:30 PM
zich6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Temperture doesn't bother me, but I don't drive in snow, ice, or rain.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:41 PM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I live where it gets cold, real cold, where you have to consider the temp of the road surface, not the air temp. It can get to 50F air temp but the road surface still be near freezing here. I've had the GY Supercars slip when the air temp was 45F in the fall and above 50F in the spring. When you consider the engine is also making more power at those temps you gotta be careful getting on the gas. This is different than down south where the air temp can get below 40F but the road surface is well above that. Under those conditions, enjoy the extra power the engine is making.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:40 PM
coastalcarolina
Instructor

Location: Myrtle Beach & Greenville, SC -- Hung Like a Republican -- Network Admin/IT

I have been debating whether to get Summer tires again for my daily driver or if it would be safer to get an all season for the near freezing and freezing temperatures we (SC) get for about 3 months.

December through February are our colder months and we typically see temperatures in the 20s through 40s.

I am looking at the Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec for a summer tire or the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position for a ultra high performance all season.

I have the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s now

Both tires get excellent reviews and the Bridgestone gets better treadwear and comfort ratings.

Is it worth it to get an all season for a few months of cold temperatures? I am not considering snow and ice in my decision, just cold temperatures and the effect it has on the traction of summer tires.

Here is Tire Rack's Survey Performance Chart for - Ultra High Performance All Season:

And Here is Tire Rack's Survey Performance Chart for - the top 10 Summer Tires of each cat.

Last edited by coastalcarolina; 03-24-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:17 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

all season tires ride nicer.

Get notified of new replies

To Summer tires in cold dry sunny winter days

Quick Reply: Summer tires in cold dry sunny winter days