Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACT 17" 3-piece forged Type SC

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:18 PM
kylecrish
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACT 17" 3-piece forged Type SC

does anyone have any info on these? how many were made, how many years were they made for, and what sizes they came in?

ronal wasnt much help when i contacted them. i picked up a set a while back and im restoring them myself. id just like to know some more info on them since ive never seen them before.

original specs:
-5x120.65 = 5x4.75
-et56
-17x9.5 all around (i swapped for smaller barrels out front. 8.5" now)
-center bore 70.3

condition i got them in:

and what ronal had to say:
"Hi Kyle,

it's ok, I'm happy to answer your questions but the problem is that most of the information are not available anymore.

ACT (Auto Cycle Trading) was a subsidiary of Ronal. It was founded as a distribution company for Ronal wheels.
Later it became a brand for more exclusive light alloy wheels. All ACT wheels have always been produced by Ronal factories.
About 15 years ago the company was discontinued, the brand name disappeared and the existing ACT wheels have been integrated in the Ronal range of alloy wheels. 2 of them exist until today.

The SC wheels have been a family of 3-piece split wheels. The production of the wheels was very flexible due to the fact
that many different outer- and inner rim halves and inner wheel parts did exit. The inner part was casted and machined and the outer rim halves
were produced in a roller spinning process and later polished first with machines and finally by hand. With a combination of these parts it was possible
to produce many different variants in small production lots. This was the advantage of 3-piece wheels, the flexibility and NOT
the fact that it would be possible to dismantle the wheels.

The production and sales of SC wheels ceased about 20 years ago and sales figures are not available anymore.

The wheel you have was exclusively produced for the US market and for combination there has also been an 11x17 ET3 wheel for the rear axle.

That is more or less all we can tell you about the story of ACT and SC wheels."
Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 AM
kylecrish
Intermediate

no one knows anything about these? this is the 4th forum ive tried with no luck. must be rare.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:16 AM
Shock96
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I can tell you some things about these.

I had a set of these in 16x7 for my 240z with factory 4 bolt pattern. I also had a set of these in 15x7 on my Porsche 911.

I have seen these in 15 and 16 inch varieties in 7 and 8 widths. I hadn't seen the 17 in person.

They are essentially a clone of the BBS wheel of the time. Made in Japan I am pretty sure. I am not sure about the dates of construction, but I am thinking that 1982 was the first year.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:30 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

The center section, as mentioned, was a copy of the BBS wheels of the time. American Racing was also another "mainstream" manufacturer that used this spoke design.....

HOWEVER, a little known fact, is WAY back when CCW first went into the wheel business, they also had a version of this center section. I purchased a set of wheels for my Z-28 back around '97-'98 from them, with this center design.

I can't say that they still have any of these centers on hand, as they were cast parts, versus the forged pieces that are now pretty much the industry standard, but you might want to give them a call...
Old 04-23-2012, 10:19 PM
kylecrish
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shock96
I can tell you some things about these.

I had a set of these in 16x7 for my 240z with factory 4 bolt pattern. I also had a set of these in 15x7 on my Porsche 911.

I have seen these in 15 and 16 inch varieties in 7 and 8 widths. I hadn't seen the 17 in person.

They are essentially a clone of the BBS wheel of the time. Made in Japan I am pretty sure. I am not sure about the dates of construction, but I am thinking that 1982 was the first year.
mine are stamped 4/91 17x9.5 all around originally, and ronal said there were 11" wide rear wheels made as well for the corvette bolt pattern. bbs rs is what you are referring to im assuming.

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
The center section, as mentioned, was a copy of the BBS wheels of the time. American Racing was also another "mainstream" manufacturer that used this spoke design.....

HOWEVER, a little known fact, is WAY back when CCW first went into the wheel business, they also had a version of this center section. I purchased a set of wheels for my Z-28 back around '97-'98 from them, with this center design.

I can't say that they still have any of these centers on hand, as they were cast parts, versus the forged pieces that are now pretty much the industry standard, but you might want to give them a call...
are you saying call ccw? i dont need any centers, but lips could be interesting.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:23 PM
kylecrish
Intermediate

oh and i have refinished the wheels since those original photos were taken, just mounted them on my car the other day. dont hate on the car. im in college and cant quite afford a vette or anything that's real fun yet.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:18 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by kylecrish
....are you saying call ccw? i dont need any centers, but lips could be interesting.
I must have misunderstood, as I though for some reason you needed parts/service. Yes, CCW might be able to help.

Get notified of new replies

To ACT 17" 3-piece forged Type SC

Quick Reply: ACT 17" 3-piece forged Type SC