Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking Lug Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 12:46 PM
Samjham
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking Lug Nuts

I was wanting to get some locking lug nuts for my car, but all the locking lug nuts I find in retail stores around my area have that same generic pattern that I'm sure any wheel theif would have the key to. Not to mention that all you need is one of those gator grip socket wrenches to take off almost any locking lug nut (http://gator-grip.com/).

So what I want to know is what is a good locking lug nut out there that isn't very easy to get off without the key and is not a common enough pattern that a theif would likely have that key?

The reason that I ask is that at my business I had a van parked in back with alloy rims and locking lugs (generic pattern) over the 4th of July. When I came back it was sitting on blocks :mad At least they were just factory alloys, but I'd hate to see my really nice rims on my other car stolen and I want to keep that from happening again.
Old 07-06-2002, 07:51 PM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

Default Re: Locking Lug Nuts (Samjham)

I would also like to know
Old 07-07-2002, 01:49 AM
gcrouse
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow- I wouldn't have thought that Gator grip could loosen something torqued 80-100 ft-lbs? If it does you're pretty much out of luck no matter what.

I use Gorilla locks which are supposed to have hundreds of different patterns of notches spaced around the outside. I would guess as secure as any door lock. Maybe this is silly but I suppose you could use up to 5 different sets of locking lugs (maybe from different manufacturers) to frustrate your thief so he moves on to something quicker/easier?
Old 07-07-2002, 12:01 PM
Samjham
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Locking Lug Nuts (gcrouse)

What about this...I had a guy mention that I could have one of my wheel studs made with left hand threads and then have a locking lug bored out with left hand threads to fit it. I think that might keep the theif guessing long enough as to why he can't get the lug off that he'd just foget about it.

That seems a little overkill to me though. Maybe just some more locking lugs and a good alarm system
Old 07-11-2002, 12:47 AM
SJP
Advanced

fwiw: I just swapped wheels a few days ago & the mechanic who balanced & mounted the wheels thought the GM locks were "crap" while the Gorillas were OK-- not sure what led him to those conclusions.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:29 AM
Adman
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Locking Lug Nuts (gcrouse)

I have used the Gorilla set of 20 locking on one f-body and two C5s.
One huge downside...All three sets purchased over a two year period had the exact same key for unlocking. Not the same ID on the Key but they were identical and worked on all three sets. I called Gorrilla when I bought the second set and they told me the odds against getting identical keys was huge. I also called when I got the third set with different key number but Identical profile and they told me it was impossible. They promised to check quality control and see if they had a problem. They never called back as promised.
The second issue is that typically you do not torque the locking nut to spec. On the Gorilla Locks you can. The problem is it burs up the socket key and you cant get the nut out of the socket. It is a real pain in the ****! I have had this problem on three sets of locks. Its time a catch a clue.
My latest plan is to toss the locks and go with 2002 factory stainless lug nuts :cheers:
Matthew

[Modified by Adman, 8:30 AM 7/24/2002]

[Modified by Adman, 8:32 AM 7/24/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Locking Lug Nuts

Quick Reply: Locking Lug Nuts