Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (old) tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 04:03 PM
67ShelbyCT
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (old) tires

I am asking for member's input on a situation that occurred this last week. I purchased (4) Goodyear whitewall tires from a "reputable" Corvette parts dealer. This week when we went to mount the tires, we noticed that they were manufactured back in February, 2011.
I notified the company who was quick to tell me that they don't manufacture the tires, but they would check with the manufacturer.
After a frustrating call back, I was told that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the tires and that If I wanted to pay the freight for the (3) that weren't mounted, they would refund me price of the tires!
My question is: Aren't 5 year old tires still old tires? Won't the rubber harden as it ages? I have read that tires need to be replaced after several years regardless of their age or tread condition.
Can anyone please respond with any input regarding this subject?
Thanks for any input!
Old 02-12-2016, 06:15 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Assuming that when you mention "whitewalls", you're talking about tires for a C-3 car, or even maybe a C-2. For better or worse, you have to understand the market for those sizes (you didn't mention the size, BTW) is VERY limited, therefore those tires are made in batches, every few years, as needed.....
Old 02-12-2016, 08:41 PM
67ShelbyCT
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Assuming that when you mention "whitewalls", you're talking about tires for a C-3 car, or even maybe a C-2. For better or worse, you have to understand the market for those sizes (you didn't mention the size, BTW) is VERY limited, therefore those tires are made in batches, every few years, as needed.....
The tires are for my C1. The issue isn't so much understanding how limited the market is or how frequently the tires are manufactured, but more that there needs to be some sort of communication before the sale to allow the consumer the opportunity to decide if he/she wants to pay $300/each for tires that are 5 years old. There are many who believe that rubber is not even safe to run after 5 or 6 years, regardless of tread wear or appearance. What first brought this to my attention was when the mechanic called me to say that his shop would not even mount the tires without me first signing off on the tires, releasing them from any liability.
Just an unfortunate position to be in...
Old 02-13-2016, 07:52 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by 67ShelbyCT
The tires are for my C1. The issue isn't so much understanding how limited the market is or how frequently the tires are manufactured, but more that there needs to be some sort of communication before the sale to allow the consumer the opportunity to decide if he/she wants to pay $300/each for tires that are 5 years old. There are many who believe that rubber is not even safe to run after 5 or 6 years, regardless of tread wear or appearance. What first brought this to my attention was when the mechanic called me to say that his shop would not even mount the tires without me first signing off on the tires, releasing them from any liability.
Just an unfortunate position to be in...

OK, let's try this approach..............You're restoring a 50s-60s vintage Corvette. You're all done, and the finishing touch will be a set of new tires. You're anxious to get it back on the road, so you start calling around for a set of tires. You have to know that tires in the older sizes aren't made by the thousands, year after year.

What do you want to do....buy a set that a retailer has on the shelf, so you can get on the road immediately, or be told that they (the tire manufacturing company) is waiting for enough of that particular size to be ordered, so it's feasible for them to whip up a batch.......send us a deposit, and MAYBE you'll have them in 2-3 years.

It's simply the nature of restoring/driving 50-60 year old cars.

Get notified of new replies

To New (old) tires

Quick Reply: New (old) tires