Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why your wheel just broke

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 02:12 PM
Forgeline Support
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Why your wheel just broke

Hey there

My name is Steve Schardt. I am the Founder and Sales manager for Forgeline Motorsports. My User Name includes the word "Resource" and that is what I would like to be, a resource. I have attached an article that was published June of last year in the Sports Car Magazine. A publication directed solely to sports car racers. The technical pieces were from Forgeline. Some of it is more technical for me... However, it explains why Forgeline uses SAE standards to calculate loads. It explains why FEA ( Finite Element Analysis) is an incredible tool for engineering race wheels and why load ratings are critical to selecting a correct wheel for your corvette. I hope you find it interesting. Please let me know if you have any questions... If I do not know the answer I have a few engineers down the hall I can ask,,,,Yep Right here is the USA!!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
SportsCar_June16e.pdf (1.23 MB, 348 views)
Dayton, Ohio 45439
O: 937-299-0298 x11
M: 937-260-9125
F: 937-643-0070
forgeline.com
Old 09-08-2017, 09:20 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

First off thanks for making a great wheel in the USA- mine are slated to be finished any day now
Second thanks for stepping up to be a resource of information
When one looks at fatigue I see a figure thrown around that 4 years of racing should be considered a life span for wheels, conversely the same set of wheels would last decades on the street. I'm curious as to what force and where on the wheel creates the killer stress on a track wheel vs a street wheel.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:56 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by 1968swbbigblock
..........When one looks at fatigue I see a figure thrown around that 4 years of racing should be considered a life span for wheels, conversely the same set of wheels would last decades on the street. I'm curious as to what force and where on the wheel creates the killer stress on a track wheel vs a street wheel.
That's an interesting point, considering that race wheels will see loads generated by cornering, that are far above what a street wheel will ever see, but the race wheel will never see stresses from potholes and expansion strips, that a street wheel sees regularly.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:41 AM
Forgeline Support

Actually it sees far greater impacts on the track. Our wheels hit apex burms at more than 150 miles an hour. Racing wheel are subjected to going off track and hitting holes at much greater speeds that are generated at a street level
Old 09-09-2017, 12:19 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Forgeline resource
Actually it sees far greater impacts on the track. Our wheels hit apex burms at more than 150 miles an hour. Racing wheel are subjected to going off track and hitting holes at much greater speeds that are generated at a street level
Mr. Schardt, with all due respect, I understand what you're saying, and I'm not trying to stat an argument. However, what part of the country do you live in? I'm in the north east "snow belt", and after a hard winter, before the weather warms enough for the road crews to make repairs, we routinely will see "potholes" that are 3-4' long, and 5-6" deep, and not just on city streets, where you can hit them at only 35 MPH. I have yet to see a track with that kind of "obstacles".....
Old 09-09-2017, 06:34 PM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Does the Forgeline three year warranty cover issues as a result of the above?
Old 09-09-2017, 07:13 PM
Forgeline Support

[QUOTE=Kamran;1595539639]Does the Forgeline three year warranty cover issues as a result of the above

We do not warranty damage. But if you track your car and your Forgeline some how fatigues prematurely they will be covered
Old 09-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Kamran
Pro

We do not warranty damage. But if you track your car and your Forgeline some how fatigues prematurely they will be covered
Above, you said:
"Our wheels hit apex burms at more than 150 miles an hour."

Should we stay off rumble strips, to maintain warranty?

Last edited by Kamran; 09-09-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:01 PM
Forgeline Support

[QUOTE=Kamran;1595539892]Above, you said:
"Our wheels hit apex burms at more than 150 miles an hour."

So we should stay off rumble strips, to maintain warranty?[/QUOTE

Most DE track participants are not hitting the berns at 150. These races cars are set up for it. Street cars do not do as well. If you you purchase a set of Forgeline's and bend one on a berm I will personally fix it. I would be more worried about your Corvette
Old 09-09-2017, 08:15 PM
Kamran
Pro

How does one detect/observe the "somehow fatigued", other than a bent or cracked rim?

Last edited by Kamran; 09-10-2017 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:55 PM
sfsvettes
BubbaHut
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Forgeline Wheels

As a user of the Forgeline Product, I am happy to attest to the quality and durability of their product as A+
I have hit many rumble strips and berms with my old beater and never so much as warped a hoop... Keep up the great work Forgeline !

Get notified of new replies

To Why your wheel just broke

Quick Reply: Why your wheel just broke