Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Your Corvette's Tires Say About You?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 09:51 AM
Curated Content Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 915 Likes on 461 Posts
Default What Your Corvette's Tires Say About You?

What Do Your Corvette's Tires Say About You?
By Christopher Hurst

You can tell a lot about a person by the shoes they wear. You can tell even more about a driver by the tires he puts on his car. These are what your car’s shoes say about you…

Old 11-06-2017, 10:51 AM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

I'd say the owners who put 500 miles on their Vettes once an election cycle and are scared of a few rain drops have given up on life more than me putting all seasons on my C7 because I daily the car.

But I am a bit biased on the subject.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:31 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Generalizations about "run-flats" - as if they were all the same, or even similar - are as anachronistic as generalizations about "radials."
The following users liked this post:
Iank (12-23-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 01:55 PM
Fast Cars & Horses
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Rival S all the way on the C6 Z06...18's all around 315/335 to get all the rubber we can for autoX. Hoosiers are not out of the question either!!
Old 11-06-2017, 08:57 PM
tslsa28
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I run all season run flats on the street and have extra sets of wheels with Hoosiers and Nittos for the race track. Used OEM wheels are so cheap it is an easy choice to have extras with track tires. I have tpms in them and it takes a few seconds to program them when I switch wheels. And the all season tires will handle as about as much as 99% of drivers need on the street.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:21 PM
Huncle J
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine say “he lives where there is no winter and he cant afford Michelins”

(stock size Hankook Ventus Evo 2)
Old 11-06-2017, 09:48 PM
zryder07
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

275/325 sized NT01 tires when temps are 50 degrees and above! Late fall and early spring i use cheap tires ( cooper rs3 )
Old 11-07-2017, 07:52 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Mine say, "He doesn't drive the car through the ravages of winter, just in the summer only, but he doesn't like to chance flat tires, so he has run-flats". Michelin Pilot Sports............
Old 11-07-2017, 11:23 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,274 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Because they are about the only ones you can buy that fit and look stock
Old 11-07-2017, 04:30 PM
Michael McGinnis
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for tire suggestions

Originally Posted by Huncle J
Mine say “he lives where there is no winter and he cant afford Michelins”

(stock size Hankook Ventus Evo 2)
I'm looking to replace my OEM PSS's and am looking at possibility of Hankooks. Did you find them more or less noisy, grippy, tread-wearing? Not a daily driver, occasional autocross use.
I'm also considering non-ZP tires, do folks find them better riding?
Old 11-08-2017, 10:11 AM
Tonycoh25
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor
What Do Your Corvette's Tires Say About You?
By Christopher Hurst

You can tell a lot about a person by the shoes they wear. You can tell even more about a driver by the tires he puts on his car. These are what your car’s shoes say about you…

Not Well Known, But Worth A Look

I run Yokohama ADVAN Sport V105 on stock 2009 C6. Handle great, turn on a dime and smooth. The fact that I have worked for Yokohama for 25 years in Sales might leave me a bit biased! Drive safe.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:24 AM
Huncle J
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael McGinnis
I'm looking to replace my OEM PSS's and am looking at possibility of Hankooks. Did you find them more or less noisy, grippy, tread-wearing? Not a daily driver, occasional autocross use.
I'm also considering non-ZP tires, do folks find them better riding?
I have only had the car 3 months. When I got it, it had michelin pilot all season run flats that still had some tread depth but were well past being useful for any spirited driving.
I read a bunch of reviews and determined that the Hankooks were the best balance of performance and price (focusing on max performance summer non run flats).
cant comment on noise as I have a very loud exhaust and never hear road noise. Only had them on a few thousand miles so cant speak to tread wear but hoping to get 30k miles out of them with aggressive driving with some drag and hopefully some autox.
Grip is disappointing. Maybe I had too much expectation. They are a lot better than the old michelin ps all season run flats (broke them loose on dry roads rolling on hard on 3rd). I have an 06 with intake and exhaust (390hp to wheels) thta is my daily driver.
The tires are getting a little better at hooking after adding a few more psi and scrubbing them in. Sometimes they will still break free in 2nd but usually hook now. Laterally you have to be real smooth with inputs, especially throttle. The *** kicks out pretty easily.
If I had to do it again, I would probably step up to the new Continentals. Some have reported issues with the new PS4 chunking while road racing/hpde.
Not being a daily and planning on autox, I would probably step up to extreme summer performance catagory. But those would probably be more noisy than max performance offerings.
non run flats def ride better than run flats.

Last edited by Huncle J; 11-08-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:38 PM
scottcolbath
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I run Bridgestone RE-760 Sport on my C5 and love them. They were not expensive and do everything I need the tire to do. I don't track my car, but I think these would do fine on a track.

Something else to consider, is how many miles you plan on putting on the tires before they age out and get hard. My car came with Goodyear Eagle F1s that were several years old. They were noisy as hell, transferring every tiny bit of road imperfections into the cabin, and the backs did not stick to the road at all. The front pushed a bit too under hard cornering.

Age was definitely a factor in how they performed. So when I was considering a set of replacement tires, I wanted something that will run out of tread, and useful time on this planet around the same time. If I put 10,000 miles a year on my Vette, and the tires get about 30K of good tread life, and they will not start to dry out until after the 3 year mark, then I call that a win.

If your car never sees a track, I'd say that buying super fancy, expensive rubber is not necessary.

BTW, I really love these Bridgestones. Super predictable, great feedback, and quiet. But I guess they don't make them any more. Seems a shame.

S.C.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:59 AM
McleDz06
Heel & Toe

Default Michelin Pilot Super Sports

What does everyone think about Super Sports? I just put them on my c6 Z06 back in July....also trying to decide what to put on my c4 LT4 come spring.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:07 AM
jbrown8238
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NE Events Coordinator
Default C7

Continental Extreme Contact for street.
Bridgestone RE71R for wet autocross days
Hoosier A7 for dry. Too many sets of tires in the garage. Lol.

Get notified of new replies

To What Your Corvette's Tires Say About You?

Quick Reply: What Your Corvette's Tires Say About You?