Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Query about HRE wheels if anyone knows

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 07:16 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Query about HRE wheels if anyone knows

(I apologize in advance for a somewhat lengthy prelude to my ultimate question.) I just had installed a new set of tires on my HRE 543 wheels (an older style - my rims are probably around 15-17 y.o.) HRE uses an apparently proprietary solid metal valve set-up; the end of the valve (inside the wheel) is a button shaped metal disc, and a stepped rubber grommet is fitted over the valve shank, bottoming onto the "button". This grommet then fits up through the rim's valve hole; a spacer and nut are then threaded onto the valve shank (on the outside of the wheel) to compress the grommet against the inside surface of the rim, sealing the wheel and retaining air pressure (hopefully my description makes sense). So in installing my tires we were checking the condition of the rubber grommets, and one appeared slightly the worse for wear. While the valve stem set-up is somewhat unique, I couldn't imagine that HRE had molds specifically made to create the rubber grommets, and assumed they were obtaining and utilizing some otherwise readily available commercial part. I called HRE and thusly inquired about them. Unfortunately, the HRE representative I spoke with was less than helpful, telling me that the individual parts were not available from them and couldn't advise is they were available elsewhere, that I would have to buy entirely new valve stems, and rather disconcertingly closed by saying, in what I can only describe as a rather rude and snotty manner, that "they weren't a parts store".

So my question is, does anyone know anything about the aforementioned stepped rubber grommet? Frankly it looks like something that a plumbing supply business might carry; I'd like to pick up a few if it is possible. TIA for any help.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:15 AM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Well almost sounds like a similar story to my Fikse wheels as the previous owner may have changed the stems or perhaps these were the OEMs, I went to a local wheel shop and they found me all new valve stems (metal) for a few bucks and off I went. I would try a local wheel shop for the grommet 1st, if not replace the suckers
Old 09-14-2018, 07:56 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,097 Posts

I've installed "generic" metal valve stems in a few sets of wheels that I've had, over the years. They usually came with two sets of grommets, to fit the two sizes of holes in the rims, that are considered "standard" valve stem outside diameters. I would think that a trip to one of the "big box" auto parts stores would get you what you need. You'll probably have to buy the stems, just to get the grommets, however....
Old 09-14-2018, 11:13 AM
0HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm sorry about the phone call that you had with us but I wish to clarify as we don't purchase (or sell) grommets/o-rings individually, rather we buy the valve stems with the o-rings already attached. We can certainly replace what you currently have with an updated valve stem ($10/ea) as my colleague has mentioned, but first we require the HRE Serial number to verify the proper valve stem we used originally when we had made the wheels. Once you have that serial number, if you wish to order the valve stem we can get that started for you, just give us a ring back at 760.598.1960
Old 09-15-2018, 12:54 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by HRE_Jurrian
I'm sorry about the phone call that you had with us but I wish to clarify as we don't purchase (or sell) grommets/o-rings individually, rather we buy the valve stems with the o-rings already attached. We can certainly replace what you currently have with an updated valve stem ($10/ea) as my colleague has mentioned, but first we require the HRE Serial number to verify the proper valve stem we used originally when we had made the wheels. Once you have that serial number, if you wish to order the valve stem we can get that started for you, just give us a ring back at 760.598.1960
Jurrian, thank you for your response. The representative with whom I spoke did in fact tell me all the same things that you just did, so he was at least thorough in that regard. The problem I have (or had) was the situation in which I found myself. I was in the middle of having my tires mounted. I had made an appointment and arranged my schedule to have this done. Ordering new stems would have delayed matters for at least a day, assuming I paid for overnight shipping on top of the cost of the stems. This is a silly little 25 cent piece of rubber. While I get that you buy the stems with the grommet already affixed (and admit it - it's not like this is some big manufacturing effort - the grommet is simply pushed over the shank of the metal valve stem), maybe as a function of customer service you could also acquire the individual grommets. Part of my frustration, and problem in this country as I see it, is the disposal mindset that seems to have enveloped business these days; nothing gets fixed but rather we simply throw things away and buy an entirely new widget. If you don't want to stock the individual part, why not tell people where they can get them? If in fact, for example, it's some semi-generic part that Delta or Kohler uses for its faucets, and would be obtainable at the local plumbing supply house, would it really be that terrible to pass on that information? I realize that this approach would cut into your bottom line (although I can't imagine to any more than a minuscule degree), but in the grand scheme of things, wouldn't this holistic approach be better?
In any event, I opted not to further delay the installation, and my tire tech and I managed a workaround. I guess I'll see whether or not it pans out.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:17 AM
hawk93
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Faucets

Your reference about Delta and Kohler faucets is absolutely inaccurate. You can not go get a generic replacement part. I have been in the high end plumbing and appliance busisnes for 18 years. I have owned 2 sets of HRE’s and they have gone above and beyond for me.

Last edited by hawk93; 09-18-2018 at 03:18 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:41 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by hawk93
Your reference about Delta and Kohler faucets is absolutely inaccurate. You can not go get a generic replacement part. I have been in the high end plumbing and appliance busisnes for 18 years. I have owned 2 sets of HRE’s and they have gone above and beyond for me.
Hawk, all I'm saying is that these reminded me of those types of fittings. I have no idea where they come from, although I would reiterate that I would be surprised that a mold was created specifically for these HRE grommets. I'm glad that HRE did well by you, but as they say, one's experience may vary. Maybe I just caught an employee having a bad day...

Last edited by wamara; 09-18-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:25 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by wamara
Hawk, all I'm saying is that these reminded me of those types of fittings. I have no idea where they come from, although I would reiterate that I would be surprised that a mold was created specifically for these HRE grommets. I'm glad that HRE did well by you, but as they say, one's experience may vary. Maybe I just caught an employee having a bad day...

Valve stems have come in two "standard" sizes for decades, therefore I highly doubt that HRE, or any wheel manufacturer, for that matter, would burden themselves with some sort of "unique" sized part. It would be too much of a bother, to source the parts. With respect to plumbing, I'm sure that there are a number of "unique" parts in each manufacturer's products, but then again, when dealing with commonly used components, such as seats, washers, and/or O-rings, why use anything but the readily available "standard sized" components?

As I previously mentioned, I've used several sets of metal valve stems, over the years, and each set came with 4 of each size of the "standard" grommets. I was trying to organize my "odds and ends" hardware drawer unit, yesterday, and came across a number of these grommets. I couldn't guarantee their usefulness, as they've been sitting in this drawer for at least 10-12 years (unused), but OP, if you run out of options, PM me.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:45 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

leadfoot, thank you for your gracious offer; it is much appreciated. At the moment I think I'm good - our "workaround" substitution appears to be functioning, but I'll keep this in mind should the Gods of Vulcanization decide otherwise

Get notified of new replies

To Query about HRE wheels if anyone knows

Quick Reply: Query about HRE wheels if anyone knows