Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS and 3 piece wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 07:26 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

Default TPMS and 3 piece wheels

If you have 3 piece wheels what do you do about mounting the TPMS sensors?

Tony
Old 11-07-2018, 07:05 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Based on my own personal experience, it solely depends on the shape and depth of the outer rim half that's being used, on the wheels you select. I had a set of CCWs, on my C-5, a LONG time ago, and the outer rim halves that they were using back then (around 2003), for the front wheels (17"), was not accepting the "normal" usage of a TPMS sensor. So, they were using epoxy to set the sensor in the "drop center" of the rim. For me, it didn't work well, and after a couple of years of frustration, with the sensor dislodging itself, I regretfully sold the wheels to a fellow who had a Z06, which didn't use the sensors. I thought that I heard somewhere, that they had changed something about the wheels, and the sensors can now be used as designed, but I'm not positive.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:12 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

I was able to locate something called TPMS valve adapters:

https://www.carid.com/west-coast/tpms-angled-loop-valve-stem-mpn-w9902tpla.html

Video on how they work to mount TPMS sensors to your 3 piece wheels:

Old 11-07-2018, 03:26 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

I've seen those adapters before, and A) it's got to be tricky as all get out, to get a tire mounted, with the sensors mounted like that; and B) you'd have to find "outer halves" for your rims, that DON'T already have a hole for a valve stem; and C) you'd have to drill an accurate sized hole in the rear wheel half, and also get it properly located to pass the valve stem through the spokes of the wheel's center; and D) depending on the diameter of the wheel, I could see an interference between that 90* valve stem and the brake caliper.

Other than that, you'd be good to go...……...
Old 11-07-2018, 03:49 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Yeah, a lot of variables. I basically need to have the wheel in front of me to see exactly what I need to make it work. I should have the wheels near the end of the month so we'll see how it looks once they show up.

The wheels that I am getting are Forgeline CF3C's:

[img]https://preview.ibb.co/bQrgTA/6-D76-F2-A2-B3-B9-44-F5-B25-A-BE3-C89-D20-F5-E.jpg

Last edited by Cman01; 11-07-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:18 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cman01
Yeah, a lot of variables. I basically need to have the wheel in front of me to see exactly what I need to make it work. I should have the wheels near the end of the month so we'll see how it looks once they show up.

The wheels that I am getting are Forgeline CF3C's:

[img]https://preview.ibb.co/bQrgTA/6-D76-F2-A2-B3-B9-44-F5-B25-A-BE3-C89-D20-F5-E.jpg
Forgeline is by no means, a "fly-by-night" outfit. Can't they tell you if TPMS sensors will work with that wheel? In the picture that's on the attachment that you posted, it appears that the valve stems are coming out of the wheel in the "normal" location. That "adapter" that you referred to, most certainly won't work in that location.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:33 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

I contacted Forgeline about this and am waiting for a response. These wheels were on a C6 ZR1 so they had TPMS on them but I purchased them without tires and the sensors. The seller could not confirm to me how the sensors were attached so I'm trying to figure it out.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:30 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

So a little update to this thread, I got the wheels couple weeks ago, they have a TPMS loop bolted to a second hole in the wheel where the sensor would mount like in the video shown above.

The wheels currently are being refinished at a shop (centers cleaned up and outer lips high speed polished to remove light scratches and stuff). I decided to get new 90' valve stems and rubber seals for the TPMS loops so those items will be brand new when I get the wheels back so there will be no chance of air leaks in those 2 holes from reusing old rubber seals.

Yes it would have been easier if I got a monoblock wheel and could mount the sensors the conventional way but it wasn't too bad to source out the proper way to deal with the TPMS issue on 3 piece wheels.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS and 3 piece wheels

Quick Reply: TPMS and 3 piece wheels