Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid Engine Production

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 09:22 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Gminsidenews is a forum of kids..it's not an official GM website,
I used to frequent there often under another name. I agree with that statement.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:37 PM
theboom
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

As it has been said earlier in the thread, the mid engine corvette may be a hybrid, or at least have a hybrid variant. Now while I really don't want it to be a hybrid and I wish it would remain gas only, I recognize that it WILL have to be electrified at some point. I just want them to hold off on it as long as possible until they absolutely HAVE to do it from a financial standpoint to stay competitive which I believe there are several more years until that becomes the case due to many manufactures still having a lot of gas only performance cars. I also want them to wait till the weight of the electric system to come down from where it is now.

Speaking of the NSX, before GM copies them, we need to acknowledge that the NSX failed horribly and we need to identify why. Was is too heavy and/or didn't have enough power? Was it the looks? Price? I think it may have been a combination of all of that. It also has very disappointing performance, again I think has something to do with how heavy it is.

One more thing. As I have said before, I want them to keep the upgrading of the ICE a relatively simple thing to do and it not interfere with the electrical systems or make it easy to retune the electrical systems to make it compatible the ICE's new power level. By doing this, they will keep the aftermarket power mods alive until the electric aftermarket can form and advance to a decent level.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:54 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by theboom
Speaking of the NSX, before GM copies them, we need to acknowledge that the NSX failed horribly and we need to identify why. Was is too heavy and/or didn't have enough power? Was it the looks? Price? I think it may have been a combination of all of that. It also has very disappointing performance, again I think has something to do with how heavy it is.
NSX was expensive, yes less than ferraris, but still expensive with not great power. I wouldn't say it failed, I doubt Honda ever thought they would mass produce it. It was just kind of in its own class, not real competition for the high end sports cars but way more expensive than the average sports car.

The car market is much different now. There are many more people buying expensive cars now. Look how many more models of Ferraris, lambos, mclarens, Cars like the GTR, Audi R8 lots of 100k+ cars out there.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:22 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

now I wounder if the c8 will be a win or fail with the mid-engine.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:03 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by rgregory
NSX was expensive, yes less than ferraris, but still expensive with not great power. I wouldn't say it failed, I doubt Honda ever thought they would mass produce it. It was just kind of in its own class, not real competition for the high end sports cars but way more expensive than the average sports car.

The car market is much different now. There are many more people buying expensive cars now. Look how many more models of Ferraris, lambos, mclarens, Cars like the GTR, Audi R8 lots of 100k+ cars out there.
Completely agree.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:01 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nurburgring
now I wounder if the c8 will be a win or fail with the mid-engine.
Not a real question since the C8 isn't the mid-engine and the mid-engine isn't a C8.

I wish I could find all the magazine people who keep saying it is scream at them for making that assumption.

I also wish that everyone here would stop referring to the mid-engine as the C8 and the C8 as the mid-engine. It would make it easier to understand what you are actually talking about.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:21 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51

I also wish that everyone here would stop referring to the mid-engine as the C8 and the C8 as the mid-engine.
In that case, GM needs to set the record straight.

Last edited by sunsalem; 09-29-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:56 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sunsalem
In that case, GM needs to set the record straight.
We know they won't. Not until they announce one of them.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:28 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

You're right.
Like the song says, "The Waiting is the hardest part."
Old 10-02-2017, 05:24 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

Rest in Peace, Tom Petty.