C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Competition seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 09:30 AM
Smokeyjr
Emerging Vendor

Received 597 Likes on 407 Posts

Right!!...thats what i have been telling folks when they buy competition seats from someone else and then installing them into their cars...you have to probably install your existing modules into the new seats making the car think you still have your existing seats in the car...replacing seat backs is one thing (you are "NOT" touching the modules or electrics)...replacing the whole seat is another....it is all about liability....bigtime...I know this is off the topic...but when I installed c7 seats in my c6...I still had to keep my c6 seat modules with the c7 seats...making the car think I still had them (the c6 seats) in my car...I think RREYES...knows something also about this...Kam is very knowledgeable on the subject of seats...I have studied the schematics and modules only to install the c7 seats in my c6...but it's all about fooling the system

Last edited by Smokeyjr; 04-24-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:26 PM
SPIN20
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
Because GM only supports cars "as built". It's a product liability and support issue. The don't want dealers or anyone else creating some weird frankenstein of parts that aren't tested to work together. Of course, everybody still does it. But you just need to find workarounds. It usually involves using a VIN from a different car.
Yeah that’s a good point. I guess I was hoping that they would do it because they would be adding a factory option. I bought the seats from a friend of mine who switched to racing seats. Getting his vin would be no problem but I wouldn’t want to mess any other modules up. I’m used to my c6 where I made all kinds of changes to the bcm without a problem.

Last edited by SPIN20; 04-24-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:51 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

As long as you're just programming the seat modules, it shouldn't cause trouble anywhere else. They probably have the required software already. They just need to do a VIN relearn. Reprogramming them, even with the same software, will force them to do that relearn at the end of the procedure.

The big question is whether the BCM needs to be tweaked or not. That would start to make me nervous.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:20 PM
Smokeyjr
Emerging Vendor

Again...go to a dealership...to a good tech and ask the question...but i can bet the bigger issue is switching to a seat that has been already installed into a car versus buying new seats from a dealership with "no" history in the modules is not a issue because it would be much easier to flash or program them...let me ask the question...did you ever go to a dealership and watch a tech do it...sometimes they wait for a download from chevy
Old 04-24-2018, 09:30 PM
SPIN20
Pro

Originally Posted by Smokeyjr
Again...go to a dealership...to a good tech and ask the question...but i can bet the bigger issue is switching to a seat that has been already installed into a car versus buying new seats from a dealership with "no" history in the modules is not a issue because it would be much easier to flash or program them...let me ask the question...did you ever go to a dealership and watch a tech do it...sometimes they wait for a download from chevy
Again, the seats were flashed to my vin when installed and work flawlessly...this is not about programming the seats, it’s about programming the car. I was trying to program the vented and heated seat option. If it works, great. If not then the seats still function flawlessly. As far as programming the cars, they all have to be downloaded from Chevy...
Old 04-24-2018, 11:10 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Smokeyjr
GMs policy is to only provide software for cars the way they came out of the plant. The only way dealers (or anyone else) can get it done is by mixing and matching VINs, in violation of GMs policy. They're not supposed to be playing "build your own option package". If a dealer calls Techline and says "I'm adding heated/cooled seats to a Corvette that didn't come with them from the plant" then Techline is going to tell them to pound sand. Spin20 just went through this when he called AC Delco. The AC Delco tech support people are part of Techline.

Now of course people still do it, and it usually works out fine. But going to a dealer is going to be a waste of time unless you just happen to stumble across the one service advisor who is willing to go against policy and has a technician who knows the programming system well enough to do what needs to be done.

Originally Posted by SPIN20
Again, the seats were flashed to my vin when installed and work flawlessly...this is not about programming the seats, it’s about programming the car. I was trying to program the vented and heated seat option. If it works, great. If not then the seats still function flawlessly. As far as programming the cars, they all have to be downloaded from Chevy...
I'm sorry if I missed this somewhere, but is the problem that the heating and cooling buttons on the dash don't work?
Old 04-25-2018, 06:50 AM
SPIN20
Pro

I'm sorry if I missed this somewhere, but is the problem that the heating and cooling buttons on the dash don't work?
Yeah, I was looking for an easy way to program the bcm to turn on the heated and vented seat option.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:32 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

I don't know if there would be any drawbacks with reprogramming the BCM with the software from the donor car. There's a lot of stuff in there, and I'd be nervous about messing it up. I'm not even sure if the seat controls are in the BCM to begin with. It's possible it's in the climate control module. There's a lot of unknowns here.

Be careful with what you program. You can start messing stuff up very quickly if you mix and match hardware and software that aren't meant for each other.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:42 AM
Smokeyjr
Emerging Vendor

It could be a very costly mistake...bigtime...and if you still have your waranty left...you could null that for changing some things...thus null and void any liability
Old 04-25-2018, 12:48 PM
SPIN20
Pro

I don't know if there would be any drawbacks with reprogramming the BCM with the software from the donor car. There's a lot of stuff in there, and I'd be nervous about messing it up. I'm not even sure if the seat controls are in the BCM to begin with. It's possible it's in the climate control module. There's a lot of unknowns here.

Be careful with what you program. You can start messing stuff up very quickly if you mix and match hardware and software that aren't meant for each other.
Yeah I agree, if it was an easy thing to do I’d be all over it. Using different vin numbers to code my car is more of a risk than I’m willing to take.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:45 AM
Scottcolem
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

so after much reading and testing I discovered that the pretensioners that were installed in the seats were recalled. picked up 2 new pretensioners at the dealer and now there's no more airbag light
Old 04-29-2018, 03:14 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

From all the info & talking to 3 diff guys that is a so called GM tech. Said are told me they never have done that is a seat from one car going into a diff car & it worked 100%. They didn't know for sure & that is all I could get out of them.

So this is why I just done the seat backs in my car. More or less just pull it out unbolt top from bottom pull all the stuff from the top redo with all the new. Then hook the seat hooks back up under the seat good to go here. Robert
Old 04-30-2018, 05:04 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,217 Likes on 3,459 Posts

To always be "safe" replace any fuse in question. I've seen ones that look good being faulty. That is, they did not "blow" as one expects.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:25 AM
Southeast Beast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I realize this option may be a pita as removing & reinstalling the seat skins is required,but leatherseats.com offers a heating/cooling setup with a switch that could be added to have this option in any vehicle.
I wish you best & hope you haven't got to go this route,although it is an option.

Quick Reply: Competition seats