Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] C7 Z51 A8 Transmission Cooler Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 07:12 AM
Harris
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by AliZ51
I agree. No disrespect to Tadge and I have said it before, I love the car. The anwser is vague and political. Doesnt show good faith from GM. The car does not meet their own desgin goal. If the anwser was, we will have a proven kit ready for C7 owner in two months and anyone wants it will have to pay $1500 then I would say GM is making an affort. I am an engineer myself, when we produce a product that doesnt meet the perforamce we have promised, we would have to come up with an immediate plan of action and an aggressive time table to execute it. We cannot give vegue anwsers. I hate to say it, the only person who was able to get a quick plan of action from GM for overheating transmission was the person who hired a lawyer. He posted a thread about it and GM traded his car with another C7 manual MSRP to MSRP. Why does it need to come to this to get a reasoble solution!. I am not going to wait to the end of the year to solve this. I moving forward with a different cooling desgin and will make sure that GM will keep the warrenty since all what I am trying to do is to protect the transmission.
I agree. Thanks to Tadge for answering, even it is vague and not what we wanted to hear.
Ali, please keep us posted on your aftermarket cooler installation if you take that approach.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:23 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by c7jim
I appreciate your branching out, but the real question all of us new zo6 owners who track is how do we solve the overwhelming issue of oil temps overheating when tracking a car that was marketed as the most capable track car that GM has ever produced. I'm a new owner who is seriously concerned.
It was all marketing and it worked well. If you are going to track the car often and are willing to spend money to fix the problem and void your warranty that is one option. Or you could cut your losses and sell the car before this issue defines the car and affects resale value.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:14 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

There are always multiple ways to look at an issue.

One way seldom stated is that those over temp lights are there to protect a warranty on the track.

Enough chest pumping and I can see Tadge doing what EVERY BODY ELSE (including the uber tacker 911 GT3..) does and that is to take away the warranty as soon as the car enters the track parking lot.

Glad to see Tadge taking the high road so far..
Old 06-30-2015, 01:39 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
There are always multiple ways to look at an issue.

One way seldom stated is that those over temp lights are there to protect a warranty on the track.

Enough chest pumping and I can see Tadge doing what EVERY BODY ELSE (including the uber tacker 911 GT3..) does and that is to take away the warranty as soon as the car enters the track parking lot.

Glad to see Tadge taking the high road so far..
I doubt that you own a $80,000 C7 Z51 A8 or $100,000 C7 Z06 weekend toy that was purchased for spirited driving based on false advertisement and misleading press releases. I bought a performance package Z51 A8 that is supposed to run a full tank of fuel on track with a pro driver in 87F ambient temperature without overheating. I am not sure why the facts on this thread is getting deleted. If we cannot discuss the facts, let delete this forum or delete ask Tadge all together.

Last edited by 5thGear; 06-30-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:19 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,844 Likes on 1,158 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

I am not sure why the facts on this thread is getting deleted. If we cannot discuss the facts, let delete this forum or delete ask Tadge all together.
No "facts" got deleted. References to class action lawsuits got deleted; I'm not going to have those kinds discussions in this forum.

If you have an issue with the way I'm managing this sub-section of the forum, PM me, Jim (savewave) or any one of the IB management folks. Don't make posts like this, please. They're against the rules; I'm going to leave it here so folks understand.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:37 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Originally Posted by jvp
No "facts" got deleted. References to class action lawsuits got deleted; I'm not going to have those kinds discussions in this forum.

If you have an issue with the way I'm managing this sub-section of the forum, PM me, Jim (savewave) or any one of the IB management folks. Don't make posts like this, please. They're against the rules; I'm going to leave it here so folks understand.
For the record, I never brought up class action lawsuit talk. The facts I am referring to were C&D article and quoting GM press releases. These were facts that got deleted. I also referenced a thread from this forum for someone who was able to get resolution from GM without a lawsuit but he did have a lawyer handling it. I have nothing to add to this thread and obviously nothing will be solved with this thread since this is not a debate. Thanks for helping in getting the question to Tadge.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:09 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I doubt that you own a $80,000 C7 Z51 A8 or $100,000 C7 Z06 weekend toy that was purchased for spirited driving based on false advertisement and misleading press releases. I bought a performance package Z51 A8 that is supposed to run a full tank of fuel on track with a pro driver in 87F ambient temperature without overheating. I am not sure why the facts on this thread is getting deleted. If we cannot discuss the facts, let delete this forum or delete ask Tadge all together.
So you are frustrated and I understand.. and I'll reply in kind so we can take this thread a bit forward and maybe we can both get the full picture.. and help the folks on the sideline...

"False advertisement".... and "talk is cheap"... so can you point to the culpable advertisement? An excerpt from a C&D article is not advertisement; "I am just saying here..." don't shoot the messenger..

Also, to the point to keep it short and (as you noted) keep the facts:
You have a light that comes on with spirited driving and on the track.

It may as well be that your interpretation of that light is false advertisement and poor engineering or to be improved which seems forthcoming.

My interpretation and (maybe others..) is that light comes on to save your transmission and to keep it in warranty for 5 years or 160K (Km) on the track and on the road.

Also, I find it interesting is that for all these over temps coming on there have been very few A8 "all out" failures...?"

In summary my 2c:

Hoping for a no light, warrantied, 160k transmission I'll still take the over temp light, warranty, and a transmission for 160000 km

over

a No light, no warranty, 50000 km transmission..

Cheers

Last edited by Telepierre; 06-30-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:37 PM
5thGear
Drifting

So you are frustrated and I understand.. and I'll reply in kind so we can take this thread a bit forward and maybe we can both get the full picture.. and help the folks on the sideline...

"False advertisement".... and "talk is cheap"... so can you point to the culpable advertisement? An excerpt from a C&D article is not advertisement; "I am just saying here..." don't shoot the messenger..

It may as well be that your interpretation of that light is false advertisement and poor engineering or to be improved which seems forthcoming.

My interpretation and (maybe others..) is that light comes on to save your transmission and to keep it in warranty for 5 years or 160K (Km) on the track and on the road.

Also, I find it interesting is that for all these over temps coming on there have been very few A8 "all out" failures...?"

In summary my 2c:

Hoping for a no light, warrantied, 160k transmission I'll still take the over temp light, warranty, and a transmission for 160000 km

over

Cheers
I don't think there is a point for us to go back and forth on this. I understand that you are arriving late to the party. First, the car doesn't give you a warning light. It goes into limp mode, without warning. I was making a pass before entering a turn at Fontana when I lost power and the car went into limp mode. So it could put the driver in a dangerous situation without warning. There is no press release on the Stingray or Z06 from GM that doesn't speak racetrack performance. C&D is just one article. Just do your own research. Tadge said that they had a target to beat with the A8 transmission and that was PDK shift times. He also said that their standard is to run the car in 87F by a pro racer without overheating. The transmission overheating at any ambient temperature (mine over heated in 65F ambient) with intermediate level pace. I am sure they were not targeting new buyers who want to arrive early to work or make a run to Starbucks. Majority of GM press release for the Stingray, A8, Z06 were done at the racetrack. You should be able to find this information with some research.

It doesn't bother me that you have a different opinion.
Cheers
Old 06-30-2015, 06:46 PM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Original question is here.
Damn, but it is certainly pleasant to know that valid concerns can be communicated, and addressed in this forum.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:23 PM
Trout-44
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '14
Default Dealer response to my question

Basics have 2014 A6 Z51. Had a 2009 M Z51.
2009 on Track many times Mid Ohio mainly. Car driven by myself (ex SCCA showroom stock driver), Brian Till, and Dave Roush. Never had a heating problem.
Fast forward to the 2014 z51, due to a dropped foot sold the 2009 to get a auto 2014 that I was gong to take to the track.

Read all the posting so called GM got a tag number and they had my dealer call me to schedule the car in for review. Told them on back roads with out going totally nut I saw trans temp above 200 in just a few minutes. I knew they were not going to fix anything I just wanted to go on record if a Service bulletin is issued.

Now what really surprised me is the following wording on my service statement:
"Customer stated that the transmission temperature run above 200 at times. Contact the customer for more info..... Contacted TAC and was told Trac capabilities only designed for manual transmission.... working as designed"

I am calling GM tomorrow to discuss faulty advertizing and state no where is the above comment printed in the owners manual.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:08 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

JVP,

thanks for re-opening this thread and instead deleting the objectionable posts you previously referred to.
The discussion should certainly move forward...

Gary
Old 07-01-2015, 12:02 AM
Dale760
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

In summary my 2c:

over

Cheers

The car is designed to be driven on the street and track with the Z51 package, track modes , PDR with lap times, GPS of race track, magnetic ride control, dry sump oiling system. Comes with front cooling rings that are to be installed when doing track days. 15W-50 Mobile one also recommended to be run when doing track days. All sated in my owners manual Ive had 3 weeks.

What is not stated in my manual is >> Do not track this car since you ordered the A8 transmission or it will over heat and the car will go in limp mode

Obviously GM / Chevy knew way ahead of time there was a problem with the cooling system on the 2015 A8, so now the 2016 cars are being updated.

Like Ive mentioned a few times, I know it takes time to take care of these problems and it may not happen over night, but I also think GM should pay for some of a upgrade kit, and it should be installed by Chevy dealers.

Having my car 3 weeks and already seeing 240 to 250 degree trans temps on a mountain pass is unacceptable

Word of mouth can be very good or very bad ..... we will see the path they choose

I hope its the right one since Ive been a Chevy guy all my life of 58 years

Dale

Last edited by Dale760; 07-01-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:58 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Originally Posted by Trout-44
Basics have 2014 A6 Z51. Had a 2009 M Z51.
2009 on Track many times Mid Ohio mainly. Car driven by myself (ex SCCA showroom stock driver), Brian Till, and Dave Roush. Never had a heating problem.
Fast forward to the 2014 z51, due to a dropped foot sold the 2009 to get a auto 2014 that I was gong to take to the track.

Read all the posting so called GM got a tag number and they had my dealer call me to schedule the car in for review. Told them on back roads with out going totally nut I saw trans temp above 200 in just a few minutes. I knew they were not going to fix anything I just wanted to go on record if a Service bulletin is issued.

Now what really surprised me is the following wording on my service statement:
"Customer stated that the transmission temperature run above 200 at times. Contact the customer for more info..... Contacted TAC and was told Trac capabilities only designed for manual transmission.... working as designed"

I am calling GM tomorrow to discuss faulty advertizing and state no where is the above comment printed in the owners manual.
Read below thread. A member with A6 received the same answer from GM but he explain how we was able to get a satisfactory solution from them. Good luck
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-track.html
Old 07-01-2015, 01:04 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nevada Silver
The car is designed to be driven on the street and track with the Z51 package, track modes , PDR with lap times, GPS of race track, magnetic ride control, dry sump oiling system. Comes with front cooling rings that are to be installed when doing track days. 15W-50 Mobile one also recommended to be run when doing track days. All sated in my owners manual Ive had 3 weeks.

What is not stated in my manual is >> Do not track this car since you ordered the A8 transmission or it will over heat and the car will go in limp mode

Obviously GM / Chevy knew way ahead of time there was a problem with the cooling system on the 2015 A8, so now the 2016 cars are being updated.

Like Ive mentioned a few times, I know it takes time to take care of these problems and it may not happen over night, but I also think GM should pay for some of a upgrade kit, and it should be installed by Chevy dealers.

Having my car 3 weeks and already seeing 240 to 250 degree trans temps on a mountain pass is unacceptable

Word of mouth can be very good or very bad ..... we will see the path they choose

I hope its the right one since Ive been a Chevy guy all my life of 58 years

Dale
Hey Dale. read post #65 on below thread. You should contact GM. Good luck

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...upgrade-4.html
Old 07-01-2015, 01:15 AM
Dale760
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Dale. read post #65 on below thread. You should contact GM. Good luck

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...upgrade-4.html

I will thank you Ali

Dale
Old 07-01-2015, 10:38 AM
KRPTONT
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow very disappointed with the way this is going. I don't even know what to say about all of this.

I agree. No disrespect to Tadge and I have said it before, I love the car. The anwser is vague and political. Doesnt show good faith from GM. The car does not meet their own desgin goal. If the anwser was, we will have a proven kit ready for C7 owner in two months and anyone wants it will have to pay $1500 then I would say GM is making an affort. I am an engineer myself, when we produce a product that doesnt meet the perforamce we have promised, we would have to come up with an immediate plan of action and an aggressive time table to execute it. We cannot give vegue anwsers. I hate to say it, the only person who was able to get a quick plan of action from GM for overheating transmission was the person who hired a lawyer. He posted a thread about it and GM traded his car with another C7 manual MSRP to MSRP. Why does it need to come to this to get a reasoble solution!. I am not going to wait to the end of the year to solve this. I moving forward with a different cooling desgin and will make sure that GM will keep the warrenty since all what I am trying to do is to protect the transmission.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:20 PM
Trout-44
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '14

Read below thread. A member with A6 received the same answer from GM but he explain how we was able to get a satisfactory solution from them. Good luck
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-track.html
Hey Ali
Which post are you referring to?

Thanks
Frank

Get notified of new replies

To [ANSWERED] C7 Z51 A8 Transmission Cooler Upgrade

Old 07-01-2015, 11:08 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Originally Posted by Trout-44
Hey Ali
Which post are you referring to?

Thanks
Frank
Hey Frank. It will take some reading since the anwser is not in one post. The person who started the thread is the one who able to get a resolution from GM. Unfortunately you have to go through pages. Just click on the link I sent you on post #33
Old 07-02-2015, 04:53 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default The limits of a track toy...

I don't think there is a point for us to go back and forth on this. I understand that you are arriving late to the party. First, the car doesn't give you a warning light. It goes into limp mode, without warning. I was making a pass before entering a turn at Fontana when I lost power and the car went into limp mode. So it could put the driver in a dangerous situation without warning. There is no press release on the Stingray or Z06 from GM that doesn't speak racetrack performance. C&D is just one article. Just do your own research. Tadge said that they had a target to beat with the A8 transmission and that was PDK shift times. He also said that their standard is to run the car in 87F by a pro racer without overheating. The transmission overheating at any ambient temperature (mine over heated in 65F ambient) with intermediate level pace. I am sure they were not targeting new buyers who want to arrive early to work or make a run to Starbucks. Majority of GM press release for the Stingray, A8, Z06 were done at the racetrack. You should be able to find this information with some research.

It doesn't bother me that you have a different opinion.
Cheers
Segmented quotes are just for clarity sake. I am interested the least in going back and forth. I am simply and honestly trying to fully understand the issue here..

I don't think there is a point for us to go back and forth on this.
I conditionally agree with you as I don't seem to understand your point... but please read on if interested..

I understand that you are arriving late to the party.
Actually, I have read plenty on this and am equipped with a fair share of knowledge on systems so rather than "late" and short of pontificating I'll say I am arriving "prepared"

First, the car doesn't give you a warning light.
So, the car is equipped with a overheating warning light and from reading the manual it seems pretty clear to me THAT is the manufacturer definition of "overheating". Or in other words when the light comes on you are in the overheating state.

I do understand this forum and this particular "overheating issue" in particular is replete with many other definitions..

"I am used to see this and now I see that" = overheating
"My C7 temps are higher than my C6 temps" = overheating
and so on..
"At the track I see temps much higher than "normal" = overheating

My point here is that in an effort to understand this issue me and many others (interested in the car) are struggling with both objectivity and subjectivity..

"It goes into limp mode, without warning. I was making a pass before entering a turn at Fontana when I lost power and the car went into limp mode. So it could put the driver in a dangerous situation without warning.
OK... so I read this as having a "limp mode problem" not a overheating problem.. or at least not a overheating problem until the light/DIC message comes on..

No doubt limp mode and high temperatures are correlated (obviously)
So frustration from the track purist I do understand..(loss of life mhmm..a bit less..)
The other side of the coin is that I also do want technology that prevents me (or tries to prevent me) from overheating/reach critical failure temp. It seems to me here we have both.. Limp mode/overtemp I stop, and you can keep going all day long?

Q: So the car does not do a force shut down in limp mode; does the car do a forced shut down in overtemp mode?

There is no press release on the Stingray or Z06 from GM that doesn't speak racetrack performance. C&D is just one article. Just do your own research. Tadge said that they had a target to beat with the A8 transmission and that was PDK shift times. He also said that their standard is to run the car in 87F by a pro racer without overheating. The transmission overheating at any ambient temperature (mine over heated in 65F ambient) with intermediate level pace. I am sure they were not targeting new buyers who want to arrive early to work or make a run to Starbucks. Majority of GM press release for the Stingray, A8, Z06 were done at the racetrack. You should be able to find this information with some research.
I am a potential buyer and so am highly aware of statements, advertisements, press coverage and videos...it is your statements and the whole "we caught Tadge/Corvette building a POS class action (from others)" thing is were I am confused the most.. although from what I have seen..Good Luck on the class action thing.../SARC OFF

Just bear with me..but none of your commentary illustrate to me that you are not able to perform all the things alleged/or confirmed by Tadge.

"Tadge this... Tadge that" OK .. at Z06 announcement time, before being available for sale and way before the A8 was made available for the "base C7" Tadge spent some time talking A8 ... he talked up speed of shift and torque ability BUT he also pointed to the shortcomings/difficulties encountered for track use along with a disclaimer for the hard core track enthusiast and the call for further future improvements which are coming...check!?

So it's all there and this brings me to my real point:

I do understand frustration and sympathize.. please make it accurate...

and let's talk about the give and take between warranty needs and track needs

I already know where to go for my six month "use and trash" track toy...

Cheers

Last edited by Telepierre; 07-02-2015 at 05:11 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:11 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Segmented quotes are just for clarity sake. I am interested the least in going back and forth. I am simply and honestly trying to fully understand the issue here..

I conditionally agree with you as I don't seem to understand your point... but please read on if interested..

Actually, I have read plenty on this and am equipped with a fair share of knowledge on systems so rather than "late" and short of pontificating I'll say I am arriving "prepared"

So, the car is equipped with a overheating warning light and from reading the manual it seems pretty clear to me THAT is the manufacturer definition of "overheating". Or in other words when the light comes on you are in the overheating state.

I do understand this forum and this particular "overheating issue" in particular is replete with many other definitions..

"I am used to see this and now I see that" = overheating
"My C7 temps are higher than my C6 temps" = overheating
and so on..
"At the track I see temps much higher than "normal" = overheating

My point here is that in an effort to understand this issue me and many others (interested in the car) are struggling with both objectivity and subjectivity..

OK... so I read this as having a "limp mode problem" not a overheating problem.. or at least not a overheating problem until the light/DIC message comes on..

No doubt limp mode and high temperatures are correlated (obviously)
So frustration from the track purist I do understand..(loss of life mhmm..a bit less..)
The other side of the coin is that I also do want technology that prevents me (or tries to prevent me) from overheating/reach critical failure temp. It seems to me here we have both.. Limp mode/overtemp I stop, and you can keep going all day long?

Q: So the car does not do a force shut down in limp mode; does the car do a forced shut down in overtemp mode?

I am a potential buyer and so am highly aware of statements, advertisements, press coverage and videos...it is your statements and the whole "we caught Tadge/Corvette building a POS class action (from others)" thing is were I am confused the most.. although from what I have seen..Good Luck on the class action thing.../SARC OFF

Just bear with me..but none of your commentary illustrate to me that you are not able to perform all the things alleged/or confirmed by Tadge.

"Tadge this... Tadge that" OK .. at Z06 announcement time, before being available for sale and way before the A8 was made available for the "base C7" Tadge spent some time talking A8 ... he talked up speed of shift and torque ability BUT he also pointed to the shortcomings/difficulties encountered for track use along with a disclaimer for the hard core track enthusiast and the call for further future improvements which are coming...check!?

So it's all there and this brings me to my real point:

I do understand frustration and sympathize.. please make it accurate...

and let's talk about the give and take between warranty needs and track needs

I already know where to go for my six month "use and trash" track toy...

Cheers
I am sure you read the post from the member that is overheating his transmission on a canyon road with a two week old car Z51 A8. Is this hard core track enthusiast to you? Is it fair that C7's (2016) that were built two weeks after he received his car has an upgraded cooling system and he is stuck with his?

You accuse me of not being accurate when:
_You don't own C7
_You don't have overheating problem.
_You don't know how and when overheating occur.
_Even if you buy C7, you wouldn't track it since it wouldn't be your 6 month track and trash toy.

Yep, I agree. talk is cheap. You win.

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] C7 Z51 A8 Transmission Cooler Upgrade