Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'01 Z06 complete audio install

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Speeed-Racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default '01 Z06 complete audio install

I want to start out by saying that this would not have been possible without the help of this forum and I want to thank all of you for the great amounts of help you have been. Now to the install.

I started by using an aftermarket partition as a template for an amp box. I put a tray on the front to house two amps on a shelf with the crossovers and distribution blocks wired beneath.

I test fit it to make sure the wiring would fit over the wheel wells and into the holes made on the side of the box.

I ran 0/1 AWG from the engine bay and from the passenger seat post up to the distro blocks.

I used www.knukonceptz.com for all of the wires, distro blocks, fuses, fuse holders, etc. 12 AWG to the mid-base and 16 AWG to the tweets.

OZ Audio Matrix 180 6.5 components in the front (www.ozaudio.com). Crossovers here.

Here's the wiring coming together.

When the box was a fit, I had it vinyled in OEM and put a Z06 fender emblem for a little flair. It looks great in the rear view mirror.

I took some old school PPI amps and had the covers chromed. A PCX 480 and a PCX 2200.

Here they are with the lid on with a clear Texas sky.

Out came the interior and the yard sale began.

I installed a Crazy Cowboy kit (www.exoticvette.com).

I used some of the leftovers to pay particular attention to the tunnel.

I deadened the doors with Damplifier Pro from Second Skin Audio
(www.secondskinaudio.com).

And put in a speaker kit from Second Skin as well. I wanted as SQ as I could get (with Borla exhaust and no mufflers).

A new Optima went in and the 200 amp fuse in the engine bay. I learned from the forum that you add the amperage of the fuses used in the system to calculate what is needed at the power supply. In this case each PPI amp needed a 100 amp fuse.

This wiring has incredible quality. I won't use anything else any more.

I went with a Pro Box Loaded (www.proboxrocks.com) 12" sub (500 W)for the rear. It came in a custom enclosure that fit like a glove. I set the limits accordingly and this thing will rip your head off.

I had to cut off about 1" to allow for the amp box.

I got some speaker plates from NCR Dave (www.corvettecaraudio.com) and added a little directional pitch on the tweets. These things went in like a champ, perfect fit.

Here is the driver's door after the install.

Again, for the SQ, I chose a Pioneer Premier HU. The DEH-P880PRS has a 24 bit Burr-Brown processor (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...159496,00.html) and 5 Volt outputs which are a must on high powered amps. I vinyled a Metra HU adapter plate. I didn't like the sheen on the plastic.

The HU sounds great and I love the IPOD integration. I wanted a stealth install, so I ran the wires along the side of the tunnel and cut away a little plastic below the DC outlet in the console. The IPOD goes in the console and you control it from the HU.

I wanted a stealth install on the bass remote as well. It really is nice to have the extra control over the bass. When the audio gets clear you end up turning the bass up/down quite often depending on the song.
With the help of the ideas of scott_fx I ended up cutting out the cigarette lighter and installing the bass remote in its hole.

In all I am very happy with the whole thing, the install, the sound, the pound. I have left it with just the front stage for now. I don't know yet if I will add rear, but I suspect not. It has a certain concert feel with noise coming from just the front.

I want to thank all of you guys again, scott_fx, pentavolvo, TheKomoman and Kale in particular for their volumes of experience and their willingness to give sage advise.

Speed
Old 05-14-2007, 04:35 PM
JAMIROBri
Instructor

Awesome job bro! Great attention to detail and terrific components take any installation to the next level.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:57 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Looks very nice man good job My only advice is to add some deadening material to the inner door skin where the speakers mount to help reduce some resonance and possibly look into some ensolite. I am just doing my truck deadening now and I am really impressed with its sound absorping/reducing principals. Talk to Rick at raamaudio about it.

G'luck man and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Amps look awesome by the way.

Fej
Old 05-14-2007, 06:30 PM
bbentley40
Racer

Sweet install man.. looks good!
Old 05-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking good.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:38 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

looks great!
Old 05-14-2007, 07:58 PM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

great install. that is what I wanted my amp rack to look like with the partition tied into it. I am already planning on something diff for my next rack. haha. something thats easier to remove. Great job on the install. it looks really cool.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:05 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Survey says:

Love the amp box. Nice attention to detail. Curious how much interior noise you get with that exhaust system. You might be a prime canidate for Closed cell foam. The good news is that if you choose to add foam, installation is relativly easy (certainly not as difficult as laying down dynamat)

Last edited by TheRadioFlyer97; 09-03-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:31 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

very nice install
Old 05-14-2007, 10:59 PM
Speeed-Racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by fej
...My only advice is to add some deadening material to the inner door skin where the speakers mount to help reduce some resonance...Fej
I have some Damplifier Pro left, I think I will use it on the inner door next time it's opened up. Thanks for the advise (and compliments).

Speed
Old 05-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Speeed-Racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
...Curious how much interior noise you get with that exhaust system. You might be a prime canidate for Closed cell foam. The good news is that if you choose to add foam, installation is relativly easy (certainly not as difficult as laying down dynamat)
As it stands, the stereo noise can cover the exhaust, even at high R's, when it is up to full volume. Ordinary stereo levels are easily overpowered by it. I don't mind that though, because those notes are quite melodic as well. I have some Second Skin closed cell as well (http://www.secondskinaudio.com/viewp...3&category=55). I ordered it with the Damp Pro. My intent was to add it over the Crazy Cowboy, if needed. But, I don't need it now. However, I am adding some LG Longtube Pro headers in the next week or so. I may need to add it somewhere after that. I'm not sure where it could be of the most value. Any opinions?

Thanks to all for the kind words.

Speed

P.S. If your up to Dallas, look me up. I would be happy to go for a spin.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:19 AM
CLINTR79
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

LOOKS GREAT
Old 09-03-2007, 04:25 PM
metalmech
Advanced

Default stereo install

i am putting together a custom install myself. i am having some difficulties with the amp rack and i was wondering if you had the outside dimensions of yours? i like the way you enclosed everything. thanks don
Old 09-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Speeed-Racer
Drifting

I'll measure it and get back with you. Of course, the height of the box was based on the width and angle of the amps, which might vary with your amp(s).

Speed

Originally Posted by metalmech
i am putting together a custom install myself. i am having some difficulties with the amp rack and i was wondering if you had the outside dimensions of yours? i like the way you enclosed everything. thanks don
Old 09-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Speeed-Racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by metalmech
The tray on the front of the partition measures:

45 1/2" wide, 8 1/2" deep and the height is 3 1/2" in front, about 6" (hard to measure around the wheel wells) in the rear where it contacts the partition.

Have fun on the install
Old 09-04-2007, 04:04 PM
metalmech
Advanced

thanks this should help alot
Old 12-06-2007, 04:05 PM
jmorr649
Instructor

That is just strong! Nice work...very motivating to me...I want to gut mine and redo it. Just the medicine I needed to see.

Get notified of new replies

To '01 Z06 complete audio install

Old 12-06-2007, 05:54 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i can't believe i missed this, it's looking sick! love a clean install!
Old 12-06-2007, 07:57 PM
corvette22

Nice job!
Old 12-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So what do you think of the played CD quality with the 24 bit burr brown?

(ipod has its own dac, doesnt use head unit)

Quick Reply: '01 Z06 complete audio install