Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RacePak IQ3 Shipping Now!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 06:28 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default RacePak IQ3 Shipping Now!

Just got word that the IQ3 is now shipping out.

Mine will be here in a matter of 2 days.

Very excited about this 3 axis G meter, Predictive Lap Timer, etc.

I can get more if anyone wants one.

$1425 shipped
Old 02-19-2008, 06:31 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was reading about this. Since the accelerometers are built into the display unit, does the unit have to be mounted in a stationary position?

aka, mounting it on the steering wheel is not an option?
Old 02-19-2008, 06:50 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wallyman424
i was reading about this. Since the accelerometers are built into the display unit, does the unit have to be mounted in a stationary position?

aka, mounting it on the steering wheel is not an option?
Yeah I'll probably mount mine right behind the wheel on the stationary portion of the steering column but in front of the dash.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:53 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Question: What happens when you take a Racepak smart sensor data logger,
combine it with our track proven GPS technology, add a 3 axis G meter
and somehow fit it all into Racepak’s latest digital dash?

Answer: IQ3, a complete data center.

The IQ3 dash represents an entirely new concept in data logging dashes. By placing the 32 channel data logger, 512 MB memory card, GPS board and 3 axis G meter inside the dash, every feature of the data system is now located in one central location.

And, when that 32 channel data logger is one of Racepak’s exclusive smart sensor type, that means that only one small cable will transmit the data from all the sensors to the rear of the dash.

So, for the customer, this means:
· No external data logger necessary
· No bulky, heavy sensor wiring harness
· No beacon transmitter or receiver necessary for lap time data
· No wheel speed sensor necessary. GPS provides speed and track mapping

The IQ3 offers features uniquely designed for a variety of motorsports:

Road Racing (auto/ bike) and Circle Track
GPS provides speed, lap time and lap number.
No beacon, receiver or wheel speed sensor required
512 MB of memory insures plenty of data storage for long runs with multiple sensors
Compact design for motorcycle use
Dash provides 24 sensor inputs on four different pages.
Dash includes programmable warnings, shift lights, gear indicator, predictive lap time, with remote mount programming button capability.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:54 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

I also plan on becoming an expert on the IQ3 so I can give trackside support and install these for customers if needed. Shock Tuning will really benefit from this as well.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like a good deal.

Where does it "plug in?" Also, how does it know which gear you are in?
Old 02-19-2008, 07:23 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
looks like a good deal.

Where does it "plug in?" Also, how does it know which gear you are in?
it can tell by speed and rpm. Most of these data aq things have a gear setup thing.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:30 AM
kowalski340
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-22-2008, 01:27 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Export capability for trackvision software videos. G-meter, segment times, even shock travel is measurable with add on sensors. Amazing product!

Order yours today.

4-6 weeks shipping
Old 02-22-2008, 09:40 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Will it log everything with realtime gauges to a computer? I plan to have a laptop in the car being monitored from the pit with all my data. So I need everything going to a laptop.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:30 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ProgGod
Will it log everything with realtime gauges to a computer? I plan to have a laptop in the car being monitored from the pit with all my data. So I need everything going to a laptop.
About $25K should fix you right up ...lol.

Keep in mind that all those channels need sensors and they are $$.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:06 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

try the Bosch Motorsports ECU equipment and software. and as Rex mentioned $25,000 would be a starting place.

If I remember correctly SCCA ( SCCA-PRO) and NASA do not allow radio data transmission from Car to Pits. Down load latter could be used, but at our level no has the money to do so. Let alone have the engineers on staff to read, understand and make changes from the Data.

What Bowmanized ( gee I like that name. Wonder why ) product is looks very cool.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:21 AM
ProgGod
Drifting

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
try the Bosch Motorsports ECU equipment and software. and as Rex mentioned $25,000 would be a starting place.

If I remember correctly SCCA ( SCCA-PRO) and NASA do not allow radio data transmission from Car to Pits. Down load latter could be used, but at our level no has the money to do so. Let alone have the engineers on staff to read, understand and make changes from the Data.

What Bowmanized ( gee I like that name. Wonder why ) product is looks very cool.
I got that part handled, I am a software engineer. I don't even need to use radio trandmission to do it. Basically the laptop will be sync'd with the laptop in the pits. Anything you see on one, you see on the other. So as long as info is routed through that, its routed through the pit laptop, and fully controllable through it. Right now I have about 8-10 Innovative sensors in the car.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:23 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I got that part handled, I am a software engineer. I don't even need to use radio trandmission to do it. Basically the laptop will be sync'd with the laptop in the pits. Anything you see on one, you see on the other. So as long as info is routed through that, its routed through the pit laptop, and fully controllable through it. Right now I have about 8-10 Innovative sensors in the car.
Very Cool. Keep us updated on your progress
Old 02-23-2008, 11:08 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

I should have an IQ3 here very soon

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by bowmanized
Just got word that the IQ3 is now shipping out.

Mine will be here in a matter of 2 days.

Very excited about this 3 axis G meter, Predictive Lap Timer, etc.

I can get more if anyone wants one.

$1425 shipped

Has anyone compared the accuracy of this setup to other "known" systems?
Old 02-23-2008, 11:14 AM
rbl
Drifting

Me too, so explain that or do you just plan to hard wire them together ... lol

If you are talking real time you will need some form of RF I suspect and, as Tom said, that may not be permitted. Even after the fact in the pits I think you will need RF or a hardwire to communicate betweek the two CPU's.

But to answer your original question I think the answer is no. Possibly they have modified this unit (not likely) but I believe it will write a session file to import into their SW. I don't think it is designed to run real-time. However, if you can capture the data stream to their display and decode it, (not likely), you may be able to build your own interface to do what you want. It is unrealistic to think this product would fill this function and only cost $1400. You are asking about high end product.

If you want real answers to your question you need to chat with Tim Anderson (Tim@racepak.com) who is knowledgeable about the specific product. Everything here is speculation.

Last edited by rbl; 02-23-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To RacePak IQ3 Shipping Now!

Old 02-23-2008, 01:38 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Originally Posted by rbl
Me too, so explain that or do you just plan to hard wire them together ... lol

If you are talking real time you will need some form of RF I suspect and, as Tom said, that may not be permitted. Even after the fact in the pits I think you will need RF or a hardwire to communicate betweek the two CPU's.

But to answer your original question I think the answer is no. Possibly they have modified this unit (not likely) but I believe it will write a session file to import into their SW. I don't think it is designed to run real-time. However, if you can capture the data stream to their display and decode it, (not likely), you may be able to build your own interface to do what you want. It is unrealistic to think this product would fill this function and only cost $1400. You are asking about high end product.

If you want real answers to your question you need to chat with Tim Anderson (Tim@racepak.com) who is knowledgeable about the specific product. Everything here is speculation.

Well innovative stuff does what I need, and isn't expensive at all. However if I am going to replace the dashboard with the IQ3 it would be nice to only have one device in the car.

As for the RF, I plan to use sprint EVDO to communicate with the car. I need this more for tuning more then anything, so I am not as concerned about what the rules say I can do. However I dont' think they say you can't have a cell phone in the car
Old 02-23-2008, 02:56 PM
rbl
Drifting

Well innovative stuff does what I need, and isn't expensive at all. However if I am going to replace the dashboard with the IQ3 it would be nice to only have one device in the car.

As for the RF, I plan to use sprint EVDO to communicate with the car. I need this more for tuning more then anything, so I am not as concerned about what the rules say I can do. However I dont' think they say you can't have a cell phone in the car
I think you have the apples in the orange basket. The Innovate is not quite the same thing. I have one of those as well but use it more an as engine management tool to watch things. The RacePac unit is more of a performance track tool.

Mobile broadband obviously relies on RF; however, the rule is surely designed to keep the clutter off the air so the track can function normally without everyone on their radio. You did have me worried for a moment, however, with that long tether cord you were going to drag around

I suspect that the Innovate does not do what you want and I doubt that the RacePac unit will either. Send Tim an email and you should get a good reply and possibly some help. They have been at it for a number of years and know there business. The guy who did most of the SW drives a P car …. Not a nerd sitting in an office without a clue.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:20 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Originally Posted by rbl
I think you have the apples in the orange basket. The Innovate is not quite the same thing. I have one of those as well but use it more an as engine management tool to watch things. The RacePac unit is more of a performance track tool.

Mobile broadband obviously relies on RF; however, the rule is surely designed to keep the clutter off the air so the track can function normally without everyone on their radio. You did have me worried for a moment, however, with that long tether cord you were going to drag around

I suspect that the Innovate does not do what you want and I doubt that the RacePac unit will either. Send Tim an email and you should get a good reply and possibly some help. They have been at it for a number of years and know there business. The guy who did most of the SW drives a P car …. Not a nerd sitting in an office without a clue.

Ya I will give them a call. They both use sensors (a/f, temp, etc) and log them. The innovative however you can watch real time, not sure about the IQ3. I have a traqmate too. So i was hoping the IQ3 could replace both.

How is the software for anaylzing you on the track. I couldn't tell by their websites how detailed it gets. Can you see braking zones, accelerating zones, replace rpms, etc. Can you also sync a camera feed with it? Am I losing any features of the traqmate with this?

Quick Reply: RacePak IQ3 Shipping Now!