Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RacePak IQ3 Shipping Now!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 04:40 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ProgGod
Ya I will give them a call. They both use sensors (a/f, temp, etc) and log them. The innovative however you can watch real time, not sure about the IQ3. I have a traqmate too. So i was hoping the IQ3 could replace both.

How is the software for anaylzing you on the track. I couldn't tell by their websites how detailed it gets. Can you see braking zones, accelerating zones, replace rpms, etc. Can you also sync a camera feed with it? Am I losing any features of the traqmate with this?

RacePac is superior in all regards in my opinion. You can download their SW and a demo with some track data also. The only reason the Innovate can do anything is because of the PC SW. It was designed as a tuning tool. This unit will not replace both of yours.

RacePac data can be exported to sync with popular video SW and overlay it. Jody on this forum (Falcon) has posted some. You can not put a camera feed directly to the unit however.

RacePac data is quite detailed and after you understand it you can see about anything you want. Interestingly, they don't do all of the sales hype like the other folks and they only use a 4 Hz GPS module. With good SW, and the accelerometers their data is as accurate as anyone’s and probably better than most that are touting the 10 Hz units.

For my $.02 after you have seen one file it is all a bunch of worthless data because you really can not remember that on xx day the third lap in the 4th session what you did in T-3 and why the data is different. Real time data isn't much better because you can't process the information when you are driving. Perhaps if you are a professional or podium class it is different.

I sold my RacePac stuff as a result and I built my own in-car timing system with a light that indicates performance in real-time. I don't need the numbers (but they are available to display), just an indication of my performance and I can set up to 4 markers on the track ... GPS based. I actually removed the data logging part of the unit. I also had predictive lap timing in it that was spot on but after using it I realized it was more worthless information. So what if I am going to do xxxxx in this lap if I continue at this pace. More junk to process and it is actually just a marketing buzz IMHO.

But give Tim a call he is a good guy and will help you fit something to your needs.

My unit is here:
GPXT
Old 02-23-2008, 07:18 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rbl
RacePac is superior in all regards in my opinion. You can download their SW and a demo with some track data also. The only reason the Innovate can do anything is because of the PC SW. It was designed as a tuning tool. This unit will not replace both of yours.

RacePac data can be exported to sync with popular video SW and overlay it. Jody on this forum (Falcon) has posted some. You can not put a camera feed directly to the unit however.

RacePac data is quite detailed and after you understand it you can see about anything you want. Interestingly, they don't do all of the sales hype like the other folks and they only use a 4 Hz GPS module. With good SW, and the accelerometers their data is as accurate as anyone’s and probably better than most that are touting the 10 Hz units.

For my $.02 after you have seen one file it is all a bunch of worthless data because you really can not remember that on xx day the third lap in the 4th session what you did in T-3 and why the data is different. Real time data isn't much better because you can't process the information when you are driving. Perhaps if you are a professional or podium class it is different.

I sold my RacePac stuff as a result and I built my own in-car timing system with a light that indicates performance in real-time. I don't need the numbers (but they are available to display), just an indication of my performance and I can set up to 4 markers on the track ... GPS based. I actually removed the data logging part of the unit. I also had predictive lap timing in it that was spot on but after using it I realized it was more worthless information. So what if I am going to do xxxxx in this lap if I continue at this pace. More junk to process and it is actually just a marketing buzz IMHO.

But give Tim a call he is a good guy and will help you fit something to your needs.

My unit is here:
GPXT

Are you an electrical engineer or just a hobbiest? System looks good.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:19 AM
rbl
Drifting

Are you an electrical engineer or just a hobbiest? System looks good.
Retired. I do hardware/software but now just for fun. I was an electronic OEM in Alaska and designed, built and marketed telecommunication products for several years.

I'm happy with my unit and it is done now so I will find another project. Looking at in-car video with an RF link and also at critical gauges, especially warnings, with a speech synthesizer. I made a crude one a few years ago for my airplane with an altimeter/airspeed call out function. Just for fun, hobbiest, now and not interested in a commercial adventure. I think the "talking dash" might be fun.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:40 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
Retired. I do hardware/software but now just for fun. I was an electronic OEM in Alaska and designed, built and marketed telecommunication products for several years.

I'm happy with my unit and it is done now so I will find another project. Looking at in-car video with an RF link and also at critical gauges, especially warnings, with a speech synthesizer. I made a crude one a few years ago for my airplane with an altimeter/airspeed call out function. Just for fun, hobbiest, now and not interested in a commercial adventure. I think the "talking dash" might be fun.
"talking dash?" Isn't that ONSTAR calling when you spin off the track?

Mr Rex. This is OnStar calling. We noticed you had a spin. are you OK? Do we need to call for help?
Old 02-24-2008, 09:59 AM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
"talking dash?" Isn't that ONSTAR calling when you spin off the track?

Mr Rex. This is OnStar calling. We noticed you had a spin. are you OK? Do we need to call for help?
I had not thought of that but I wonder if they can tell!!
Old 02-24-2008, 11:56 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
I had not thought of that but I wonder if they can tell!!
Two or three years ago at a VIR THSCC event a guy in his Caddy CTSv spon off track at T5 He got a call from OnStar to ask if he was alright. The Instructor and the student just laughed and said, No we are fine.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:16 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got that part handled, I am a software engineer. I don't even need to use radio trandmission to do it. Basically the laptop will be sync'd with the laptop in the pits. Anything you see on one, you see on the other. So as long as info is routed through that, its routed through the pit laptop, and fully controllable through it. Right now I have about 8-10 Innovative sensors in the car.
It does have real time telemetry to a PC Laptop but it has to be connected to the PC via serial cable. I suppose you could then send a signal from one laptop back to the other but I'm not sure.

PROGOD

I have the installation instruction manual in PDF form so if you're interested it as all the information you need. PM me to discuss.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:25 AM
ProgGod
Drifting

Originally Posted by bowmanized
It does have real time telemetry to a PC Laptop but it has to be connected to the PC via serial cable. I suppose you could then send a signal from one laptop back to the other but I'm not sure.

PROGOD

I have the installation instruction manual in PDF form so if you're interested it as all the information you need. PM me to discuss.
Ah that actually sounds perfect, I have a small tablet mounted in the car. Have you gotten it installed yet?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:52 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Ah that actually sounds perfect, I have a small tablet mounted in the car. Have you gotten it installed yet?
I actually gave mine up to a fellow Corvette owner. He really wanted it so I was trying to help him out. I have more on order though. Should be only a few weeks.

How are you going to get the table to sync with the pits?

Sounds like a cool project.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:17 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Originally Posted by bowmanized
I actually gave mine up to a fellow Corvette owner. He really wanted it so I was trying to help him out. I have more on order though. Should be only a few weeks.

How are you going to get the table to sync with the pits?

Sounds like a cool project.
Basically using a remote desktop through sprint broadbands. Allows full control of the laptop from the pits. They could even adjust things remotely.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Jim Nilsen
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I was searching for IQ3 racepac stuff in google and found myself here.

I have waited a long time for a gauge setup like this and recieved mine on monday. It is soooo simple of an install that it is amazing. I hope it is as easy to work with as it sounds and look forward to sharing info with you guys as you go along. It will be a while before my car is ever on the road but this is one obstacle that I have been waiting to get over for a long time.

Talk to you later
Old 02-27-2008, 11:15 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jim Nilsen
Hello, I was searching for IQ3 racepac stuff in google and found myself here.

I have waited a long time for a gauge setup like this and recieved mine on monday. It is soooo simple of an install that it is amazing. I hope it is as easy to work with as it sounds and look forward to sharing info with you guys as you go along. It will be a while before my car is ever on the road but this is one obstacle that I have been waiting to get over for a long time.

Talk to you later

That's fantastic, would like to see some pics if you have any. I gave mine up to a customer but should have my new one and some pics soon.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:33 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Guys I just found out I have more of these for immediate sale and shipping

$1395 shipped.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 07-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Red C6 Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05 '09

I got that part handled, I am a software engineer. I don't even need to use radio trandmission to do it. Basically the laptop will be sync'd with the laptop in the pits. Anything you see on one, you see on the other. So as long as info is routed through that, its routed through the pit laptop, and fully controllable through it. Right now I have about 8-10 Innovative sensors in the car.
Wouldn't this violate the SCCA requirement? Comm to the pits is not specified by frequency, so the IP interface would violate the SCCA comm restriction (wouldn't it?)
Old 07-04-2009, 06:16 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

artsy picture:

Old 07-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I am interested in one of these.

Are you coming to one of the 2009 Cal Club Corvette Challenges by Speed Ventures?

You should. You are one of the sponsors!

Here is a short promotional video:
http://animoto.com/play/y6k47SdlaJ24ODuTM0cd8Q

There is a good size group of us at these events who are all candidates to buy one.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:50 AM
wmckeenster
Racer

subscribe

Get notified of new replies

To RacePak IQ3 Shipping Now!

Old 07-09-2009, 11:43 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wallyman424
artsy picture:

ewwww, very nice,

You going to get some data on that bad boy Wally?
Old 07-09-2009, 11:44 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Olitho
I am interested in one of these.

Are you coming to one of the 2009 Cal Club Corvette Challenges by Speed Ventures?

You should. You are one of the sponsors!

Here is a short promotional video:
http://animoto.com/play/y6k47SdlaJ24ODuTM0cd8Q

There is a good size group of us at these events who are all candidates to buy one.

I'll definitely be out there for an event.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

The next one is Saturday, August 15th at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana.

Quick Reply: RacePak IQ3 Shipping Now!