Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$$$ Harness Bars $$$

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:58 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default $$$ Harness Bars $$$

I've been shopping for a Harness Bar so I can mount a Camcorder at HPDE's and at some point maybe a 5 or 6 point harness. Why are they so expensive? Maybe I've just not found all that's out there but Shark Bar is about $320+ and Brey-Krause is about $700+. Why so much? Is anything else out there I have not found yet? I don't think it's the Corvette tax because of what I've seen they are costly for all cars. Why? Anyone know of any reasonably priced Harness Bars or Camera Mounts? I realize you usually get what you pay for. I don't want a cheap Bar if the quality is not there also. Is that possible?
Old 02-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

This is the one I have. Price has gone up about $100 since I got mine but it has camera mount, extinguisher mount, and all brackets for a 5-point harness. Some of the others you may have to buy additional hardware -- don't know.

http://www.azspeed-marine.com/c5harnessbar.html

Good luck...
Old 02-25-2008, 09:27 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Z06cool
This is the one I have. Price has gone up about $100 since I got mine but it has camera mount, extinguisher mount, and all brackets for a 5-point harness. Some of the others you may have to buy additional hardware -- don't know.

Good luck...
Thanks for input. I havn't seen that one before. It says C5 but I think it works in C6 also. I wish they showed some more pics and said a little more about installation, showed camera mount, fire extinguisher mount, etc.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:31 PM
wingman4rent
Instructor

Yeah some of the things are insanely expensive for what they are. I know rd racing makes one also but it is $375. If only I was not so lazy I could put my engineering degree to work and start making these in my garage, I bet it would only be like $30-50 to make it yourself.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:43 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wingman4rent
Yeah some of the things are insanely expensive for what they are. I know rd racing makes one also but it is $375. If only I was not so lazy I could put my engineering degree to work and start making these in my garage, I bet it would only be like $30-50 to make it yourself.
Thanks, another bar I havn't seen before. Does anyone know if bars made for the C5 will work on a C6?
Old 02-25-2008, 10:42 PM
cebars
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen used C5 Brey-Krause harness bars, fire extinguisher mount and 6 pt cam lock harness for about $500.00 -$600.00. No cutting of interior panels to accommodate install on stock positions required. However, I have not seen many C6 harness bars for sale and I noticed that one harness bar manufacturer requires that the C6 harness bar requires modified replacement panels that comes with the harness bar kit.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't know that they're any cheaper but you might check Doug Rippie Motorsports. I believe they sell them.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:32 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06cool

Good luck...
It is what I have. I bought it used for $300, but it works really well, especially the camera mount. I haven't gotten around to doing the harness yet but I will someday.

Good luck in your search!
Old 02-26-2008, 02:16 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1C5
I've been shopping for a Harness Bar so I can mount a Camcorder at HPDE's and at some point maybe a 5 or 6 point harness. Why are they so expensive? Maybe I've just not found all that's out there but Shark Bar is about $320+ and Brey-Krause is about $700+. Why so much? Is anything else out there I have not found yet? I don't think it's the Corvette tax because of what I've seen they are costly for all cars. Why? Anyone know of any reasonably priced Harness Bars or Camera Mounts? I realize you usually get what you pay for. I don't want a cheap Bar if the quality is not there also. Is that possible?
If you just want a cheap camera mount, I bought a suction cup mount from ChaseCam.com for $49. It works very well.

The harness bars are expensive because they are a safety item, so don't go cheap on those. I eventually upgraded to the HardBar from hardbarusa.com. It is very solid and probably stiffens up the chassis a little.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:25 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I have seen 4 or 5 differnt harness bar mounts. There are only two I would consider. HardBar and Brey-Krause.

I have a Brey-Krause only because when I bought mine I did not know about the HardBar.

You want a harness bar that is solid and will not bend. One that is IMO hard to put in so it is very very secure once it is in.

dont go cheep on safety equipment. Also dont spend the big bucks just because it is the most expesive.

I think prices are what they are as these items are not mass produced.

Here is my BK
Old 02-26-2008, 08:32 AM
whosurdaddy
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought one of these and I drop on a Cannon SD750 with a 2gig SD card. I get a nice picture and flexibility of where I put the thing. I use a tether to make sure it doesn't go flying in case of an incident, but thus far its taken 1.5g's and stayed put nicely.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:45 AM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I have seen 4 or 5 differnt harness bar mounts. There are only two I would consider. HardBar and Brey-Krause.

I have a Brey-Krause only because when I bought mine I did not know about the HardBar.

You want a harness bar that is solid and will not bend. One that is IMO hard to put in so it is very very secure once it is in.

dont go cheep on safety equipment. Also dont spend the big bucks just because it is the most expesive.

I think prices are what they are as these items are not mass produced.

Here is my BK
In my case, the hardbar prevented the Semi Tractor/trailer from breaching the cockpit when it nailed my Z16. Considering that I've had eight surgeries and my wife two from the wreck, we are very lucky. If it were a Brey-Krause, I know I would not be writing this post.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

C5s and C6s are different animals when it comes to harnessbars. The seatbelts systems install differently w/ different interior trim. The C5 upper mount point bolts into the B-pillar roll bar and is seen outside of the trim, on the C6 that is all covered and the belt comes out of a slit in the trim.

I helped my buddy Rich (DoingOK) install his BK bar in his C6Z in my garage. Once you see how complex the mounting braces are you'll understand why it costs what it does.

Here's our install pics:

Old 02-26-2008, 10:21 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by naschmitz
If you just want a cheap camera mount, I bought a suction cup mount from ChaseCam.com for $49. It works very well.

The harness bars are expensive because they are a safety item, so don't go cheap on those. I eventually upgraded to the HardBar from hardbarusa.com. It is very solid and probably stiffens up the chassis a little.
I thought about going that way until I find the Harness Bar I want but I don't think the suction cup mounts would be permitted for safety reasons at most HPDE's.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:28 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I thought about going that way until I find the Harness Bar I want but I don't think the suction cup mounts would be permitted for safety reasons at most HPDE's.
I know guys that run suction cup mounts at HPDEs, but you have to have a tether.

Just noticed you are from Troutville. I know it well. I lived in Roanoke for 13 years. Much nicer part of the world to own a C6 than where I am now in New England.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:38 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by naschmitz
I know guys that run suction cup mounts at HPDEs, but you have to have a tether.

Just noticed you are from Troutville. I know it well. I lived in Roanoke for 13 years. Much nicer part of the world to own a C6 than where I am now in New England.
Yes, very close to VIR (near Danville) also, I was there with NASA over the weekend for a HPDE. Just got home yesterday.

I will investigate the suction mount more. Does Chase Cam have the tethers also? What is the tether connected to?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:44 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Most HPDE and race organizations, SCCA and NASA state there must be "hard" camera mount with tether.

ie no suction cup mounts.

Get notified of new replies

To $$$ Harness Bars $$$

Old 02-26-2008, 10:49 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Most HPDE and race organizations, SCCA and NASA state there must be "hard" camera mount with tether.

ie no suction cup mounts.
Thanks Tom, thats what I thought. I would assume that would also be true for our NCM event at VIR coming up this summer.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Yes, very close to VIR (near Danville) also, I was there with NASA over the weekend for a HPDE. Just got home yesterday.

I will investigate the suction mount more. Does Chase Cam have the tethers also? What is the tether connected to?
If you wanted to and had the setup I have, it would be possible to tie the camera to the rear view mirror with a tether.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Z07coupe
Racer

Default Try This

HardBar Harness Bar and Substrap Bar for sale...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C-5 like new...300.00 for both...buyer pays shipping and any paypal fees.

email Lanjett@hotmail.com

Quick Reply: $$$ Harness Bars $$$