Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RR Clutch high HP

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default RR Clutch high HP

I have been very happy with the Tex clutch. I had the single and was going to upgrade to the dual with my new setup, but they are on backorder so that got me to thinking what are other people with higher HP running for a clutch and how is it holding up.

I can tell you I ran the RPS single 2 years ago and it failed about 3/4 of the way through the year. I swapped that for the Tex and again that clutch has been flawless, but in case it is not possible to get the dual I want to have other options and who better to ask than you guys that have been out there doing RR.

thanks

Bob

Old 02-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

What kind of power are you pushing?
Old 02-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been running the Tex EXO SKELL since April last year and am satisfied with it on track. Flywheel is very light. Still a bit noisy but hey it's a track car. Having some other issues but pretty sure it's just my transmission slowly giving up on me...
Old 02-27-2008, 06:41 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Z06cool
I've been running the Tex EXO SKELL since April last year and am satisfied with it on track. Flywheel is very light. Still a bit noisy but hey it's a track car. Having some other issues but pretty sure it's just my transmission slowly giving up on me...
Yeah I want to run that, but if they are not around then I have to go with something else.

thanks
Old 02-27-2008, 06:43 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Jason
What kind of power are you pushing?
we have not dynoed the car yet, but I am saying 550-600rwhp and over 525rwtq.

This is my ECS build LS7-427 with a few extras .
Old 02-27-2008, 09:42 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

What are you all using the car for, just RR or are you driving it on the street?
I've had a Mcleod Street twin break a bolt on me and leave me stranded, but Mcleod did stand behind the clutch and replace it, however the pedal pressure is very high with this set-up. I'm not a big fan of the Borg and Beck style anyway.
The Exedy twin would definatly fit the bill, but if you are going to drive it on the street the metallic discs would wear out quicker.
If your going to drive on the street and track I would look at either the new RPS Carbon twin that Carolina Clutch is working on or maybe the Fidanza twin that just came out.
Here is a pic of the Fidanza

Unfortunatly I can't find more info on the Fidanza, like who sells it and how much.
Just a couple of thoughts.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
What are you all using the car for, just RR or are you driving it on the street?

The Exedy twin would definatly fit the bill, but if you are going to drive it on the street the metallic discs would wear out quicker.
If your going to drive on the street and track I would look at either the new RPS Carbon twin that Carolina Clutch is working on or maybe the Fidanza twin that just came out.

Just a couple of thoughts.
thanks

For road racing with limited street use.

basically I am trying to get a list of clutches that work and do not work for RR by rwhp/rwtq numbers that people can refer to when making mod changes or when they need a new clutch.

As stated I know the RPS single clutch failed with 460rwhp so that would not be tested with over 550rwhp.

I also know that the Tex single has performed flawlessly with 460rwhp, but that clutch in a car with over 525rwhp had an issue.

I also tested know the Tex Exo-Skel used on a car over 525rwhp had no issues.

So right now we have 3 results showing what worked and what hasnt worked.

Here is the start of the list
  • RPS - not to be used for RR
  • Tex single - good to 500 rwhp
  • Tex exo - good over 500 rwhp (we would need a top end rwhp number to complete this).

I also talked to LS7 owners that state they have no problems with their LS7 setup so maybe the LS7 clutch can be added to the list under 500 rwhp (unless someone has tested it over 500rwhp).

Remember this list is for RR. I would expect that a 1/4 mile list would be different, but that may not be 100% true.

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 02-27-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Info on the Fidanza Twin

Fidanza Twin Disc Clutch Kit with Flywheel.

These Fidanza twin disc clutch kits are designed to hold up to 800 hp. They achieve this by using state-of-the-art materials and incredible designs. Pedal feel is virtually unchanged and engagement is as smooth as single disc units. Fidanza twin disc clutch kits use a floater plate that is strapped to eliminate the annoying rattle. With only an 8 3/4 in. diameter, the rotating mass has been kept to a minimum to further improve performance. The included pressure plate, two discs, and performance flywheel make the Fidanza twin disc clutch kits the best choice for your high-horsepower street vehicle. Fits GTO,F-BODY,CORVETTE LS1,LS2,LS6,LS7
Old 02-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

How about a Spec?
Old 02-27-2008, 01:45 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

I knock that absolute dog-snot out of my SPEC 3 aluminum/aluminum with 530 rwhp 480rwtq.....lasted so far 2 years and I am MEAN to it. Drives like stock and is probably lighter than all of the others mentioned here....It is full size so the MOI is a little larger, but not noticable in my opinion....plus which I can drive my car into the trailer. I have been accused of no-mercy downshifts and rarely shift under 7400 rpm....

SPEC also has a new twin disc out, but it is the same wieght as mine I am told. I may try some crazy little 3-disc soon....I hope I dont have all of the associated problems that I have had in the past with triple discs...If I do , I'll go right back to the SPEC 3...
Old 02-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
I knock that absolute dog-snot out of my SPEC 3 aluminum/aluminum with 530 rwhp 480rwtq.....lasted so far 2 years and I am MEAN to it. Drives like stock and is probably lighter than all of the others mentioned here....It is full size so the MOI is a little larger, but not noticable in my opinion....plus which I can drive my car into the trailer. I have been accused of no-mercy downshifts and rarely shift under 7400 rpm....

SPEC also has a new twin disc out, but it is the same wieght as mine I am told. I may try some crazy little 3-disc soon....I hope I dont have all of the associated problems that I have had in the past with triple discs...If I do , I'll go right back to the SPEC 3...

Thanks - for the update I will add it to the list......
Old 02-27-2008, 02:02 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS

Thanks - for the update I will add it to the list......
Stupid little over-square motor....I didn't want so much bottom end grunt that the car burned tires through its torque peak, and make the car nervous on corner exits with DOT tires.....plus which I like RPM.. If I could afford a real intake manifold I could spin 8k easily, but the FAST runs out of poop up top.

Maybe next year....
Old 02-27-2008, 02:23 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

I am also in the market for a RR friendly clutch for my C5. I'm only making about 424 rwhp and 396 rwtq so I don't need anything quite as fancy. I was thinking heavily about the Tex and have looked at the Spec as well. I just get confused when I start looking at all the options like X or Z grip, 2+ or 3? Ive also been thinking about mating a Ls7 clutch with an aluminum flywheel since its cheaper.

I dont mean to hijack your thread, but Ive been trying to find input elsewhere and nobody seems to want to talk...
Old 02-27-2008, 02:30 PM
racerwannabe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

i run the 3 disk carbon that carolina sells.....best clutch i have tried...spec slipped first day exedy twin 3/4 season.....this one is smooth and no slip at all...how long it will last ..i don't know yet..but i bang on it pretty hard... 530 at the tires

Johnny
Old 02-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by WBHighwind
I am also in the market for a RR friendly clutch for my C5. I'm only making about 424 rwhp and 396 rwtq so I don't need anything quite as fancy. I was thinking heavily about the Tex and have looked at the Spec as well. I just get confused when I start looking at all the options like X or Z grip, 2+ or 3? Ive also been thinking about mating a Ls7 clutch with an aluminum flywheel since its cheaper.

I dont mean to hijack your thread, but Ive been trying to find input elsewhere and nobody seems to want to talk...
this is what this thread is for. Put together a list of clutches that will work for your HP.

I have talked to a bunch of people about their LS7 clutch and they all say that they have no issues.

I personally like the Tex Single which is what I ran this year, but I had more HP than you. I also did a few 1/4 mile days which the LS7 clutch doesnt seem to like.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by racerwannabe
i run the 3 disk carbon that carolina sells.....best clutch i have tried...spec slipped first day exedy twin 3/4 season.....this one is smooth and no slip at all...how long it will last ..i don't know yet..but i bang on it pretty hard... 530 at the tires

Johnny
NICE.... another one added to the list. I will start a list at the top of what people have used and their HP level.....
Old 02-27-2008, 07:50 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Stupid little over-square motor....I didn't want so much bottom end grunt that the car burned tires through its torque peak, and make the car nervous on corner exits with DOT tires.....plus which I like RPM.. If I could afford a real intake manifold I could spin 8k easily, but the FAST runs out of poop up top.

Maybe next year....
Come on Danny, lets just put a carb on that thing then you can spin'er till 9k like the NASCAR West LS2's!

Get notified of new replies

To RR Clutch high HP

Old 02-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

well for my new setup if I cannot get a Tex Exo then it is a toss up between the Spec Twin and the 3 disk carbon from Carolina Clutch both seem to be good choices.

since my ECS LS7 is close to being done I will probably run the single Tex which I had on the car for the break in miles and then make a decision before April Track Days.

Oh well what fun would it be if everything went 100% smooth

Old 02-27-2008, 08:14 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by racerwannabe

Johnny
I've also installed the RPS Carbon Triple from Carolina Clutch and it's an awesome clutch, we are putting 550 rwhp and tq through it but so far we have just put it through the paces on the dyno. We'll see how it handles things this year, for close to $4k it better hold up for several years!!!

I mean check that thing out that's a lot of carbon going on there!!

The clutches I listed above were some new stuff that is out and looks promising the RPS Carbon twin that Carolina Clutch is testing will be between $2400 and $3k and I would guess that the Fidanza will be close to $2k as well.

I can't say anything bad about Spec I think they get a bad wrap because some people install them incorrectly and blame Spec when something goes bad. Sometimes that's what you get when you install a clutch in your C5 on your garage floor - no offense to anyone that has done it, but it's not your typical do-it-yourself job.

I would think that there are some singles that could handle a LS7, but even the LS9 needs a twin disc from the factory. Kind of makes you think.

So from my end I don't have any clutches that have survived 500+ whp (yet) Exedy single lasted almost 1/2 season, and the Mcleod twin broke at the end of the 2nd 1/2. (But again they did stand behind it.)
So for this year we are trying the RPS Triple Carbon in one car and a 2nd Mcleod twin in the other.
I do know of 2 other cars in my area running 440ci LS7's (both over 550 whp) one of them is running the Ram HD single disc and the other is running a Cartek and they both lasted at least 2 events last year.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:38 AM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

What about steel vs aluminum flywheels with each respective clutch setup?

Quick Reply: RR Clutch high HP