Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here tried the GoPro Motorsports HERO Camera?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:36 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Anyone here tried the GoPro Motorsports HERO Camera?

This looks pretty cool, but I'm needing a little feedback. YouTube videos haven't really helped so far.

http://www.goprocamera.com/index5.htm

Old 03-02-2008, 02:18 AM
Tourmgr1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one, although not tried at the track it's OK driving around town in the Tahoe. I like the waterproof idea.
Cheaper if you search around as mine was $139.00 shipped from a well known auction site.
Good Luck.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:50 AM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have one and have used it in the Z06. I velcro'd it on the dash directly in front of the steering wheel. The video came out amazingly well, but the sound was crap. All sorts of very loud noise that was not coming from the car. I contacted the company and they sent me a updated computer file that they said would correct it but I haven't done it yet to find out.

The picture with the HUD was cool! But if I don't resolve the sound issue it still won't be worth it to me. I paid $120 cash at a bicycle race directly from gopro. It looks like the price has gone up.

Dog
Old 03-02-2008, 08:11 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

A buddy of mine who defines racing on a budget has a great solution.

He went to Harbor Freight and found these round clamps with suction cups. I have no idea what they are called but they are yellow, 2 half circles with a bolt on top, and a big suction cup with a lever to suck it down to a surface.

He then takes a Logitech webcam which you can get in sphere's, puts some foam around them and then clamps them in and suctions them to various parts on the car.

Cut some plexiglass circles and glues them on the front face of the clamp for protection.

He'll record 3-4 of these things at a time and a cost of less than $40 a piece if your a bargain hunter. He put a few microphones around the car for sound.

Needs a laptop obviously but it works great. I'll try to get the HB part number.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:59 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by meldog21
I have one and have used it in the Z06. I velcro'd it on the dash directly in front of the steering wheel. The video came out amazingly well, but the sound was crap. All sorts of very loud noise that was not coming from the car. I contacted the company and they sent me a updated computer file that they said would correct it but I haven't done it yet to find out.

The picture with the HUD was cool! But if I don't resolve the sound issue it still won't be worth it to me. I paid $120 cash at a bicycle race directly from gopro. It looks like the price has gone up.

Dog
Put a piece of blue painters tape or masking tape over the camera's microphone. That may be all you need.

How long is the memory or time length of the video? can you get an hour?

The other thing guys, find a way to hard mount that camera. Suction cups or velcor may not hold the camera in an accident. Flying objects in the cabin is not a good thing,
Old 03-02-2008, 11:38 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by meldog21
The video came out amazingly well, but the sound was crap. All sorts of very loud noise that was not coming from the car.
That's exactly what I have seen on YouTube. Sometimes the audio is great and sometimes it sounds ike a rocket blasting off. It sounds more like something inside the camera or radio frequencies are interfering with it. Please let me know if the updated file works for you.

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Suction cups or velcor may not hold the camera in an accident. Flying objects in the cabin is not a good thing
This camera only weighs 4oz. I would run it outside the car as I already have a hardbar mounted cam.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:47 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Fast forward to 1:30 in this video and you'll see what I mean about the audio issue:

Old 03-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Another Video Cam Idea

I tried using my Sony video camera but the tripods I had didn't work too well in the back of my C6. I bought The Flip video cam to use at the track. Their Ultra version was about $175.00...a very light weight point and shoot video cam which holds 60 minutes of video. I also bought their action mounting attachment. I want to find a better way to mount the camera in the car but I was able to thread the velro straps (of the mounting attachment) through the slats over the speaker on the dashboard. With a little tape wrapped around the camera for added security...it worked.

I ran Friday and Saturday (yesterday) at the track and used "The Flip" video cam for the first time. It worked pretty well.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Snidley
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up one of these for my vacation to use in the water. Under water shots were good. Some of the above water shots were distorted. I decided to return it. I know it was only $140, but I think I would rather spend a little more for some better quality.

Steve
Old 04-05-2008, 06:27 PM
vettemods.com
Former Sponsor

St. Jude Donor '06

Hi everyone! We are a GoPro Hero reseller. We sell the Motorsports kit for $179.00 but we also include a FREE 2GB SD card!

Here is the link to our product page.

http://www.vettemods.com/GoPro.htm

Keep in mind these things are great in many different situations. I recently sold one to a guy who races jetskis. It comes with a water tight enclosure!

Here is his video, the camera was mounted to his helmet..

JetSki Video

Last edited by vettemods.com; 04-05-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:28 PM
MJM
Drifting

Default it works great

Get the GoPro camera with the motorsports kit. I use the suction cup mount when flying and its good up to at least 4Gs.

With a 2gig card it will record almost an hour of high quality video. Set the camera to the LO audio setting for use in loud environments.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:31 PM
MJM
Drifting

I guess I should get around to updating my sig now that I'm back.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:49 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vettemods.com
Hi everyone! We are a GoPro Hero reseller. We sell the Motorsports kit for $179.00 but we also include a FREE 2GB SD card!

Here is the link to our product page.

http://www.vettemods.com/GoPro.htm

Keep in mind these things are great in many different situations. I recently sold one to a guy who races jetskis. It comes with a water tight enclosure!

Here is his video, the camera was mounted to his helmet..

JetSki Video
Have the 24 orders been reached yet? I am seriously considering this since Im getting tired of using my bulky Hi8 from the late 90s. Plus, I need to return it to my parents...
Old 04-07-2008, 12:14 AM
vettemods.com
Former Sponsor

St. Jude Donor '06

Nope still have some available! I started a new thread so Iw as not completely hijacking this one

Thanks,
Rick

Originally Posted by WBHighwind
Have the 24 orders been reached yet? I am seriously considering this since Im getting tired of using my bulky Hi8 from the late 90s. Plus, I need to return it to my parents...
Old 04-07-2008, 12:26 AM
bsim
Advanced

Rick, any details in regards to file format, compression type, bit rate, etc? I don't see any info on their site...
Old 04-07-2008, 01:48 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vettemods.com
Nope still have some available! I started a new thread so Iw as not completely hijacking this one

Thanks,
Rick
Ordered mine. Can't wait to try it out.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:13 AM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the latest on my Gopro situation. The file they sent me was no good. They had me send the camera back to them and I'm waiting for it to be fixed, or a new one sent to me.

I'm a little dissappointed with the customer service. As far as I can tell there is no phone number to reach them, only email. The emails they have sent me are never signed, just "customer service." And it takes them a few days each time too. Maybe I'm being picky but I think someone should be responsible, you know, an actual person.

Let me add that by mounting the camera on the dash in front of the steering wheel the HUD is in the picture and comes out really well. With the 2 GB card you get about an hour.

So I'm waiting to see how this turns out but so far some good, some bad. We'll see after they send me something back.

Dog

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone here tried the GoPro Motorsports HERO Camera?

Old 04-07-2008, 10:08 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just was autoxing with a friend this weekend who had one of these cameras and I was really impressed with how small it is and the amount of video it will capture. I love the idea of mounting this to my bumper!

His did have a problem with his though, it kept on shutting off on him for no good reason. He is sending it back to the manufacture this week so I am going to wait to see what kind of respose he gets before I pull the trigger on one.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:36 PM
vettemods.com
Former Sponsor

St. Jude Donor '06

bsim

f2.8 lense
3 Megapixel stills
512x384/30fps MJPEG, AVI wrapper
bitrate ~4.5Mbps variable

Originally Posted by bsim
Rick, any details in regards to file format, compression type, bit rate, etc? I don't see any info on their site...
Old 04-07-2008, 04:58 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

I have yet to hear anyone say nothing but good things about this product. It seems there's always an issue somewhere. I sure wish they would iron out all these problems as I really would like to buy one.

Quick Reply: Anyone here tried the GoPro Motorsports HERO Camera?