Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine compression lock-up of rear wheels on decelleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 12:26 AM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default engine compression lock-up of rear wheels on decelleration

Hi guys... just want some feedback as to whether this is a typical issue that anyone has experienced, or whether I may have some other problem ....

Motor is a 475hp 383, 10.3:1 static comp with a manual 5sp box (TKO600)

Hard accelleration in 2nd gear to ~ 5800, as I lifted throttle I detected the rear wheels momentarily locked up before engine rpm followed axle speed on decelleration.

rear wheel squeal was momentary, but detectable. This on a dry bitumen straight road surface.

I've never experienced that under engine braking alone....
Is this typical ??

I'm thinking on a greasy surface it could provide a bigger surprise
Old 05-25-2008, 07:07 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

are you blipping the throttle to rev match on decel?
Old 05-25-2008, 07:16 AM
RAFTeRACER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your wheels likely didnt lockup, they were just not mooving as fast as the car for a moment. Happens all the time, but you usally dont hear it as much as you can feel the result. Especially if you jump off the throtte in the middle of a hard turn and go spinning
Old 05-25-2008, 10:36 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 494 Posts

I think that is pretty common in first and second gears, where the engine has a significant torque advantage over the wheel speed. That is why the new Z06's have an engine-brake warning that comes on if you download, and actually adds throttle to the engine to prevent this.

As above, your wheels didn't "lock up", they just moved slipped....I'm sure that's what you mean anyway.

This is specifically why we rev-match and heel/toe during downshifts. It's usually not a problem during same-gear deceleration, as you hardly ever have a braking zone following a 2nd gear straightaway.....as a matter of fact, I've never been on a 2nd gear straightway......
Old 05-25-2008, 05:53 PM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

thanks for responses....
I understand about rev matching on down shifts..... but I noticed a momentary "chirp" from the rear tyres when I lifted off the throttle after a flat run in 2nd gear to near redline..... no down shift, just lifted off throttle to coast down during some shake down accelleration runs.

Like I said, I hadn't experienced it from engine braking alone with any other vehicle, and was curious if it was typical behaviour.
Rafteracer considers it typical, so I'll keep an ear out for it if it occurs again.....

thanks
Old 05-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Mike P
Instructor

Default Decel lockup

OzzyTom,

Yes, that is completely normal for a high compression motor. I have the same thing happening in my '68. It's an autocross car with a triple disc clutch and a flexplate (ie - 15 lb rotating mass at 6"-7" diameter VS. 40-50 lb rotating mass at 12"-13" diameter stock). I get pretty annoying corner entry oversteet due to the rear wheels slowing down faster than the car and sliding, causing the oversteer on entry. They're not locking up, or I don't think they are, but just slowing too fast.

I'm changing to a JW "Wheel" flexplate in the next few weeks to add some rotating mass to the clutch. Should just about double what I've got now. Still nowhere near the stock level, though.

Mike P
Old 05-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I think that is pretty common in first and second gears, where the engine has a significant torque advantage over the wheel speed. That is why the new Z06's have an engine-brake warning that comes on if you download, and actually adds throttle to the engine to prevent this.

As above, your wheels didn't "lock up", they just moved slipped....I'm sure that's what you mean anyway.

This is specifically why we rev-match and heel/toe during downshifts. It's usually not a problem during same-gear deceleration, as you hardly ever have a braking zone following a 2nd gear straightaway.....as a matter of fact, I've never been on a 2nd gear straightway......
is that the same thing they've been talking about not having in Formula 1 this year?
Old 05-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Jim_Harrison
Racer

Mike;
Nice to see you are still around, missed you at Nats, the last few years. I resolved my rear lockup off throttle by;

Reducing the amount of rebound in my shocks, (I have dual adjustables but a shock that is too firm like the the Bilstein extremes will cause this.

Heavier front springs, I would suggest 550lb for the street.

I have stock pads in the rear semi metalics up front.

Dial in a little rear toe in...I have a bunch.

Ozzy Tom if the car isn't getting loose on corner entrance, only chirping the tires, I wouldn't be concerned but if it is wanting to come around then time to do some suspension mods.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:47 PM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

Thanks for that further feedback. I have got a lightened flywheel which I guess may be contributing a little...

Jim, It's not bringing the rear around.... well not on a dry surface anyway. Like I said, I was just surprised that it did it under simple throttle lift off.
Your suggestions of beefing up the front suspension makes perfect sense if it does become an issue.... reduces front dive and subsequent unloading of weight at rear

Thanks to all...
Old 05-28-2008, 12:18 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Im guessing you have an aggressive clutch and small low traction tires.

Get notified of new replies

To engine compression lock-up of rear wheels on decelleration

Quick Reply: engine compression lock-up of rear wheels on decelleration