Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA Mid-Ohio 7/13 and 7/13

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 11:40 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default NASA Mid-Ohio 7/13 and 7/13

Good to see all my rowdy friends again.

Congrats to L98 Terror on his jump to ST1 in his "little more then a TTA car" and to Aaron Quine for his ST2 wins, including the overall on Saturday in the rain. The battle between him and James Forbis on Saturday in the rain was awesome to watch. James qualified on the pole and held the lead for most of the race even after a 360` spin on the first lap in traffic coming down madness. Also Congrats to Danny Popp for a second place finish on Sat. in ST1 and 4th overall driving a Miata on Slicks and I believe the first person to ever drive out of the back of China beach in the wet. Bill Lex of TCC fame came and won ST1 both days in his pewter FRC. I have always said pewter is the fastest color.

Sunday was a great race to watch, 2 well driven Panoz race cars came up from Florida to run ST1, along with Lex, Finlayson in his wicked copper C6, and Ken in his TTAish car. Lex had a pretty solid lead both days and the Panoz cars were fast. But Ken was moving up quick, passed the Panoz and then had some challenges in traffic along with an uncooperative car. The real race was between Quine the other Finlayson in his LT4 car and Forbis. They had some great racing and really made it fun to watch. Along with motivating me to try and get a cage done for my car.

Popp also set TTS lap records, one on Sat with a 1:31.8 then another on Sunday with a 1:31.3 in James car but he was awarded the win in TTU? Possibly because that's how he registered, but it was in James's car so it should have been TTS. Overall pretty solid weekend for the Corvette's again. (sans Scaryfast's penchant for Optisparks)

TTU - Vette (Though like I said it is an S car)
TTS - Vette, Vette, Vette
TTA - Vette,
ST1 - Vette
ST2 - Vette, Vette, Vette

Seeing Popp run a 1:31.3 in a poorly shifting TTS/ST2 car tells me we might just see some scary low times from his car when it hits the track here soon on new tires because the tires he did this with were a long way from new. I predict some eye opening times here very soon.

Can't wait till Nationals.....

Oh yeah, and to the drivers of the Porsche cup cars that tried to use the TT sessions of the weekend as a practice. Go $%^$ yourselves.

Last edited by RogueVette; 07-14-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:53 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 07-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Great write up! Your enthusiasm always shows through.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:10 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Thanks Bink. We missed you up there. 6 of those 9 podium finishers were on RAFT prepared cars. I know we'll see you kicking some TT NASA a** pretty soon buddy.

It was nice to see such strong fields. I believe between ST1 and ST2 we had 19 cars. And some very fast racers. Hopefully the TCC crowd shows up and plays more often. And I can think of 6 more ST1/ST2 cars that will be joining in next year, without the TCC influx. The races just keep getting better and better.

Oh, also Jessie and Moser if you are reading this, 30 minutes after ya'll left it got beautiful out, and no more cup cars.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:46 PM
racesports
Instructor

took "some" pictures on Saturday (300+).

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...localeid=en_US

Pretty much morning only, had to get going just as the rain came.

Last edited by racesports; 07-14-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:58 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I must reflect Rogue's impression.....

A great time was had by all ( except maybe the Group C racers on Sunday ). It was great that the TCC gang came down and ran , hopefully we can have more get togethers with that group. Pleasure meeting each and everyone of them.

It was kewl seeing Ken's new blue car and great that he is now in the mix......There were alot of new ST1-2 cars there and only one of them was slow (mine). I'll try to bring more car next event........

The outcome of the Saturday rain event was a suprise, who would of thought that a spec miata could podium in ST1.....Poor Ken thought that I lapped him ( he didn't see me go off into China Beach ) I passed him unfortuneatly a 2nd time ......He looked like he was ice-skating the whole time........I have sampled that pain myself in my own car in the rain.....sucks.....

Pretending to be Bo Duke in China Beach was awesome......everyone on the hill in madness seemed to enjoy the entertainment. I was glad that my buddy Ricks Miata was going through China Beach instead of my Corvette.....

The Forbis/RAFT ST2 car was stupid-fast for its gearbox limitations this weekend.....James and I were pleased with its performance. With a couple of "tweaks" and a transmission repair, I believe his car should be capable of sub 1:30's ( 29's baby !!! ) James was busy all weekend blowing the "rust" out of his head, but ran the fastest ST2 time of all weekend during Saturdays qualifying. A little more seat time and 'ole James will be ROCKIN'.

Congratulations are in order for Aaron Quine who won ST2 both days and to Bill Lex for winning ST1 both days, both of those guys are FAST.......

Finlayson's new car is awesome, and I cant wait to see his brother Randy's new C5 when it is done...

Looking forward to August.............
Old 07-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Congratulations to all you guys! Hopefully, Aaron likes the NASA home well enough to come again.

It's good to hear James is back in the hunt. And hearing Ken is "All In" is great. The Vette contingent is growing by leaps and bounds.

And the Raft Meister his ownself blowing by everybody in a Miata wold have been a sight to see.

Way to go guys!!!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:30 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats right Jody, we are having a blast up here. Get to the computer and sign your self up for August , and get your happy -a$$ up here and join in on the fun. Hopefully in August there will be even more cars..

You can ditch your SE buddies and come hang with us for a while.....

Just like the lottery, you can't win if you dont play...........

I want to finally check out your "pit babes" ....If I can handle it ..
Old 07-14-2008, 10:38 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for taking the pictures Tim.

I had an absolute blast this weekend and the NASA group put on a great event. This was my first race with them and all went well with the car in one piece after the weekend was over. I didn't expect to have 2 wins with all the good drivers and cars but I'll take em.

It was a pleasure meeting Ken Smith (AKA SHADY) Inside joke, you had to be there. Love the new car brother. Also met Jon Cisler with his awesome black C4. James Forbis I finally met too after all these years and congrats on the new mods, looks great.

Rudy Oraweic,Parker Berry, Ed Gelston (Sorry about the blown motor) Nice chatting with you guys too.

Matt Carlyle, nice seeing you after 2 years and the RED rocket was smoking fast buddy.

It was a busy weekend and I still missed meeting a few of you forum guys like Randall Findlayson,Robert Findlayson,Rick Wilson and a few others. However, I did NOT miss your STUPIDFAST GOOD LOOKING cars on the track.

BTW, Randall and James were up my A$$ for Sundays race for 30 minutes and wouldn't leave.

I have to say the ST1/ST2 group was a first class field of clean racers that respected everyone with not one scratch on nobody. I hope to get back out with you boys when the work schedule allows.

Congrats to Danny Popp on your CHINA BEACH RACE, wish I could have saw that. From what I heard the crowd was chearing him on through it all. Great run in Jeremy's TTS car as well, those are some smoking fast times. Can't wait to see your car when it's done.

I have awesome in-car of the sat rain race and sunday dry race but I have no DVD player on my computor so I can't download it so you all can see it. I really need to get up to par with a new computer. If anybody wants to borrow my MINI-DVD disc, download it and post it, I will send it to you and you can have at it.

Till next time,

Aaron Quine

Last edited by rasrboy; 07-14-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:59 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got home. More adventures in trailering. Right rear wheel flew off the dualie just west of the Indiana border around 11:00 last night. And you thought the race was exciting!

My first time racing with NASA was an awesome event. Great to see the paddock so full. Awesome sight to see all the Corvettes at this race! It is too bad that TCC couldn't get its s@#* together for this event. With another dozen or so Corvettes, this would have been the race of the year. I may have set the record for the shortest race ever on Saturday. From the flagstand to China Beach, what's that about 5 or 6 seconds? No wipers, no defrosters, no ABS, no rain tires. I never did like trying to survive in the rain. Sunday was another story though. That first lap with all of us going side by side through madness and into thunder valley and nobody touching anyone, awesome job by everyone! I would like to see the "pros" do that.

Great to meet everyone and finaly put a face to some names. Aaron, sorry I didn't get time to come down and meet you, but had a great time racing with you. TCC will most definately be back with NASA. We will be talking alot and will be looking for your input as to the future of TCC.

Robert Finlayson
TCC/ST1 #59
Old 07-15-2008, 07:03 AM
GS023
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Enjoyed watching the slideshow. Great to see theres still some C4's bangin around out there. I think I have seen the yellow C4 (33) in the SW region before.
Congrats on your good run Aaron. Dad looks good sporting that SW Region shirt.

Joe
Old 07-15-2008, 07:26 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Video at 11?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:18 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Of course I also had a great time. I want to specifically thank everyone for not only a good time but for getting the 'ol POS C4 running in time for the race Sunday. It wouldn't have been nearly as fun to watch Randy running down Aaron from the bleachers as it was from the infield

First off, thanks to Robert and Randy for having the time, the spare parts, and the know-how to get the optispark running again. We knew it might not last when the plastic rotor cracked but I had to give it a go.

Thanks to Matt (spec5) for a rockin place to camp and the Coors light. I was coming for ya, buddy! Thanks to Ken, Rob, and Scott for helping me put the car back together. Thanks to Jeremy, Danny, and James for the advise and comeraderie. Oh, and all the same people for helping push it back on the trailer.

Thanks to the M-O safety crew for the two tow-ins

It was great to meet the TCC guys (Parker, Gary, Bill, etc) and Aaron (Great racing, buddy), looks like NASA has some more converts. Give me two weeks to fix the oil leaks and the optispark and I'll be a bit more of a contender in August. Last year the car used to be sorta fast...must need a new driver!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:23 AM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the event, my first with NASA Great Lakes Region. Really enjoyed meeting everyone, and good to see the number of Corvettes on track!

Had a great Friday on track, but with the motor blowing up Saturday morning, I was “powerless” to compete in the races. Thanks for the help loading up.

Congratulations Aaron on your two wins!

Look forward to seeing all of you again,

Ed Gelston
TCC / ST2 #09
Old 07-15-2008, 09:47 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Ed, any news yet on the motor? It was great to finally meet you, too bad it ended poorly...
Old 07-15-2008, 09:48 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by racesports
took "some" pictures on Saturday (300+)
These are awesome pictures, THANKS!

Everyone please note that in #072 I was just about to pass Quine...
Old 07-15-2008, 10:03 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Video at 11?
As soon as I get it uploaded, takes a little longer than doing a single lap.

Wow!! That is all I can say.

Ok maybe I can say a little more, what a weekend!!! As you all know by now I sold Katrina and moved up from the TT ranks to W2W. After my 1st weekend I’m thinking I should have done a George Costanza last year, it turns out I my old TTA street car is just as fast as my ST1 race car. It makes my wife happy I have all this safety equipment and I’m not going any faster, although she still isn’t happy about the $$$.

The weekend was a blast, what a great field, a little stronger than I would have liked for my first race but boy did I learn that being a nice guy only works in TT. Shady Aaron taught me that, he waited till after I went to grid to change to rains, damn SCCA guys. Just playing with you, but I do like the “Shady Aaron” name.

Friday was busy, between getting the car teched, instructing, trying to feel out the new car and meet some of my fellow racers. I did get to play with Panoz boys, I will say they had some HOT chicks hanging out at there rig, I think they liked me more when I was behind them.

Driving the new car was a hand full, it pushed like a pig though the middle of the corners and no ABS or power brakes will take some getting used to. I compared a 1:35 flat lap with my stock Z06 to a 1:34 flat lap in the race car & I was faster in every single corner around Mid Ohio in my street car, I was only faster on the straights in the race car and only by a few tenths and only by 3 mph at the end of the back straight. WTF, I need to do some work, Thanks Danny for your input. I our defense we spend most of our time trying to make sure the car would pass tech and never checked the set up, I guess there is never really a turn key race car.

I’m not going to talk about the races much I’ll let the video speak for itself, I hate video because it makes it hard to tell stories.

It was nice meeting all the TCC guys, keep in touch and let’s get a new class set up in NASA and keep you guys here with us. There has to be something between 8.7 to 1 and 5.5 to 1.

Matt thanks for saving a parking spot and helping out all weekend, man I needed my nerves calmed, maybe I just didn’t drink enough.

Shady Aaron it was great meeting you and thanks for teaching me a much need lesson and congrats on your wins Great job!!!

Rogue nice hanging with ya, you need to get that cage in and come play. It’s just like TT.

Danny thanks for lapping me in a Miata & all your advice and your willingness to lend a helping hand & give out advise like candy to little kids.

James thanks for not hitting me even though it looks like you tried.

Spectator Racing as a whole didn’t really have a great weekend but we’re getting there, Rob sorry about the car we need to get that thing running so you can get out there with us. Jon sucks about the opti, you worked your *** off just to start on Sunday, great job. You’ll get there I hope having your ***** back helps. And for me a podium on Sat 1st race even though it was behind a freaking Miata and I had some great battles on Sunday but I made a few rookie mistakes and ended up coming in a few laps early, I felt coming home in one piece was more important.

I'll start a new thread and post video once I have it uploaded.

Last edited by L98Terror; 07-15-2008 at 10:21 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To NASA Mid-Ohio 7/13 and 7/13

Old 07-16-2008, 09:36 AM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Congrats Aaron, Danny, Lex, et-al, sounds like we missed a good one. see you at the nationals
Old 07-16-2008, 09:50 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Group B race in the Rain ST1 Corvette

Sunday's Race in the dry, my 2nd race ever, the first 5 minutes of this rock, quite the battle with the panoz
Old 07-16-2008, 09:52 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ditto on a fun weekend everyone It was nice to see the TCC guys make the event. Now we just need to keep them coming back.

Thanks to Bill, Ed, Robert, Randy, Parker, and Gary for giving NASA GL a try and showing me what TCC is all about. You guys have a great group.

It was also nice to see that Aaron hasn't slowed down any with the switch to those lowly C5Z's. (traitor)

Scary, you're aiming pretty low if you were gunning for me. These boys mean business. Randy proved that it isn't our cars...

Time to find a couple of seconds for August.

Quick Reply: NASA Mid-Ohio 7/13 and 7/13