Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking up a C4

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:06 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

So threepoint - whatcha gonna do with that c4??????

You'll find me at Road Atlanta in a couple weeks with NASA-SE!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Threepointlanding
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still gettting used to it. Friends are trying to get me to go to "import showdown" (drag). I keep telling them..."It's a chevy"..."God Bless America"!!!

I'm still getting used to it's limitations and frankly, "Mine". I'm honestly trying not to break it...lol.

I'm sure I'll be more comfortable with it in a while. My daughter says I'm going to get into trouble with it. I told her, I'm just testing it..."that's all".....snicker snicker...
Old 02-09-2016, 07:25 PM
tomaspuigjane
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know where you can jack up the front end? in one motion. (both sides at the same time)
Old 02-09-2016, 07:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I think the markings for jacking point changed over the years. I had an 86 that I sold 19 years ago but I remember jacking on the flange between the two marks. The black plastic edge would crush and then straighten out. I jacked it like I did my 69, 71, 97, 03 and 08. Lift the one corner high enough to take both wheels off the ground on one side and if I wanted jackstands on both sides of the car I would jack it high enough so it was only resting on the jack and one rear wheel. Then I would place my jackstands, move to the other side and use the jack to level the car and adjust the jackstand height on that side.

Bill
Old 02-10-2016, 08:16 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I think the markings for jacking point changed over the years. I had an 86 that I sold 19 years ago but I remember jacking on the flange between the two marks. The black plastic edge would crush and then straighten out. I jacked it like I did my 69, 71, 97, 03 and 08. Lift the one corner high enough to take both wheels off the ground on one side and if I wanted jackstands on both sides of the car I would jack it high enough so it was only resting on the jack and one rear wheel. Then I would place my jackstands, move to the other side and use the jack to level the car and adjust the jackstand height on that side.

Bill
One side at a time is the way to do it. the air dam is too low to get a jack in from the front, but I have on occasion been able to drive onto some wood blocks and jack up the front from the frame covering the spring.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:10 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Kubs
One side at a time is the way to do it. the air dam is too low to get a jack in from the front, but I have on occasion been able to drive onto some wood blocks and jack up the front from the frame covering the spring.

Yep, no way to get a jack under the air dam.

Now once you have it up in the air you can jack from a center point along the front frame rail.

When I need lots of space I do both sides till its level, then get out the big jack and lift it to the height I need, gotta watch the exhaust though.
If I need tons of space I get the rear up a little as well. Its a lot of side to side, then back and front till I get it to the right height.

Next garage will be tall enough for a lift.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:01 AM
technobob
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AIM manual says to place a floor jack under the front center of the car between the drive train and front suspension frame between the two front wheels. Why is this subject so complicated? I've been reading posts for hours now and everyone has a different opinion.

Is the manual incorrect?
Old 08-23-2017, 05:04 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Not everyone is running with the same ride height

Quick Reply: Jacking up a C4