Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an accusump worth the investment?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 12:17 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Is an accusump worth the investment?

Over the weekend I added this post to a thread entitled "Clearly LS3s make for horrible race motors"... had not heard much back so will start my own thread:

In order to get better oil lubrication on my LS3 for the track, I am considering installing an accusump. I realize most trackers put in a good dry sump, but I don't have the money to go that way. I am hoping to hear from anyone out there that has installed an accusump.
So far the only changes I have made to my '08 is to put on Pfadt street sway bars and I added a Z06 oil cooler. Plus each time before I head to the track, I change out wheels/tires & brake pads. I have been enjoying tracking my M F55 six to eight days a year in HPDE 4 and so far have only gotten away from run-flats by changing to Falcan 452's but hope to have something like Toyo 888's by next mid season.
So.... does installing the battery in the trunk and putting a 2 or 3 quart accusump make real sense for better lubrication on the corners of Thunderhill and Infineon?
Old 11-23-2009, 12:59 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
Over the weekend I added this post to a thread entitled "Clearly LS3s make for horrible race motors"... had not heard much back so will start my own thread:

In order to get better oil lubrication on my LS3 for the track, I am considering installing an accusump. I realize most trackers put in a good dry sump, but I don't have the money to go that way. I am hoping to hear from anyone out there that has installed an accusump.
So far the only changes I have made to my '08 is to put on Pfadt street sway bars and I added a Z06 oil cooler. Plus each time before I head to the track, I change out wheels/tires & brake pads. I have been enjoying tracking my M F55 six to eight days a year in HPDE 4 and so far have only gotten away from run-flats by changing to Falcan 452's but hope to have something like Toyo 888's by next mid season.
So.... does installing the battery in the trunk and putting a 2 or 3 quart accusump make real sense for better lubrication on the corners of Thunderhill and Infineon?
I have an LS1 (now stroked) and run with a 3 qrt accusump, as you already know its not as good as a proper drysump but it certainly helps when you hit high G lateral turns. I keep pretty good pressure running slicks on some very fast tracks.. For 500.00 its a good investment... not the best... but good.

Wish I could help you specifically about the LS3, but all I can add is that my raceshop feels its a very worthwhile investment on LSx motors due to their oiling issues.

Also, do you need to relocate the battery? On the C5's we tuck them in the inner front fenders.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:06 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Putting a 3qt accu-sump was one of the best mods I had done to my car.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:42 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

absolutely a great investment. Not only do you get added capacity in cornering, you get pre-lube every time you start your car.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:50 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a waste of time and money on an LS3 though guys...it does nothing...and will NOT keep it from blowing up...will NOT help with the oil temps...and will NOT help with the puking issue.

If you don't believe me, go back and watch the 2008 Runoffs at HPT - specifically Mike Tracy's LS3 go kaboom on lap 14. He had the GM optional pan and an accusump and none of it helped. It went up like a comet. Others have tried as well...

Last edited by wtknght1; 11-23-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about a accusump on a full blown 442ci LS7? My builder is looking more at doing accusump plus a nice baffled oil pan like that Miloden that was posted a few weeks ago. He has a World Challenge car and has had many issues with the dry sump system in that car and thinks a proper wet sump system with the accusump and baffled pan would be just as good and have less maintenance problems. I am building the car to run the Cannonball Run and the simpler and less potential for problems the better I will be off. For the Cannonball it will be on street tires but for normal track days it will be on non-DOT R-compounds. I have a 3 way adjustable Moton suspension for it and there will be a bunch of Pfadt stuff added as well...so G-force should be a decent amount in corners. Also Aero will be added with a 72" rear wing and 4" splitter.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I and my builder want to keep it as problem free for the Cannonball as we can as that is one of the keys to success on a race like that.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I feel an Accusump is worthwhile especially if you use sticky tires and run tracks with extended banked curves. There are never any guarantees...I've known guys with dry sumps that have trashed their engines due to oil starvation. The way I look at it...for the price of an Accusump and the potential benefit of saving a rather expensive built engine an Accusump is cheap insurance.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:05 PM
2002rich
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
absolutely a great investment. Not only do you get added capacity in cornering, you get pre-lube every time you start your car.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:17 AM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Putting a 3qt accu-sump was one of the best mods I had done to my car.
These recent LSx oiling threads are great. Do you mind sharing the total parts / labor cost of your accusump setup?

This would be an interesting comparison data point to the known-to-be-100%-effective dry sump parts / install cost at $7-8k.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Wren
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '03

We had a lot of problems using an accusump on a wet-sump motorcycle engined car. The solenoid was causing electrical interference issues and it didn't work all that well.

We had a one quart accusump, but it definitely could not maintain pressure through hard braking zones(2.9 g's). The best available solution was a different pickup and better baffling while waiting for a good dry sump system.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:12 AM
CRE_Vette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default agree

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I agree.......
Old 11-25-2009, 10:15 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by NOSLO6
These recent LSx oiling threads are great. Do you mind sharing the total parts / labor cost of your accusump setup?

This would be an interesting comparison data point to the known-to-be-100%-effective dry sump parts / install cost at $7-8k.
Phoenix Performance ( Phoenxville PA) did my accu-sump install back on March of 04

They also put on an oil cooler and trans cooler system at that time.

Plus some other small things.

So price I dont really remember, but they were the only place at the time that knew HOW to do the install. Other shops said, "Yah we can to that. We can FIGURE IT OUT"

so that and Phoenix's reputation, done deal
Old 11-25-2009, 11:10 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

YES! for a track driven Corvette, it is essential.......but it's not magic
Old 11-25-2009, 11:12 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't speak for the LSX cars, but on my LT4 I was getting wicked low oil pressures in high G turns. The pressure was low enough to turn on the big dummy pressure warning light on a regular basis (12 psi). I put in a 3 qt Moroso sump and no more light. The pressure stays at or above 45-50 psi (hot) now which is obviously a HUGE improvement.

I have a manual valve and forgot to open it once not long ago. In the first corner watched the pressure drop and knew exactly what I did. Like I said, I have no idea about the LS cars, but it has made a huge difference in keeping pressures where they should be on the LT.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:23 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have 2 1/2 seasons on a stock short block w/out any issues. I do run a Canton pan but that's it. It's not worth the price when my short block only cost $890.

Get notified of new replies

To Is an accusump worth the investment?

Quick Reply: Is an accusump worth the investment?