Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We are SO dead...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 03:27 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default We are SO dead...

Now that Whitaker is at the helm (Obama administration appointed)...is this our last call for HP? This guy previously worked for my current company and he's a real winner. He even claimes he is almost completely computer illterate.

http://comcast.vehix.com/articles/au...ctric/?cid=806

Electric Vehicles: GM Goes Electric
by Michael Waterman & Katrina Ramser
Thursday, December 10, 2009

GM’s future is directly tied to electric vehicles. At least that’s the sense you received listening to Bob Lutz, vice chairman of GM, deliver the Motor Press Guild keynote speech at the 2009 Los Angeles Auto Show.

Here are highlights from the speech and overviews of two exciting new Chevrolet vehicles that point in the electric/alternative fuel direction.

View all 2010 Chevrolet Vehicles

Lutz began his speech by claiming that GM has an “unprecedented focus on green technology” and has ramped up the focus even more in 2010.

“In an energy-constrained world,” Lutz said, “it’s critical the auto industry develop alternative sources of energy.”

His logic makes sense and many observers agree that the auto industry simply can no longer afford to rely on oil to supply 98 percent of the energy requirements for vehicles.

Lutz then outlined GM’s E-REV (Extended Range Electric Vehicle) vision.

“GM is moving from a company that was focused on mechanically driven vehicles to electrically driven vehicles.”

These new GM vehicles will have a “nominal” range of 40 miles per charge based on the Advanced Lithium Ion battery technology. Although most will likely exceed the “nominal” range, Lutz stated that GM is intentionally providing cautious and conservative estimates. Time will tell if 50-70 miles are possible using GM’s battery technology.

“We’re confident we have a battery pack that delivers the power and safety consumers expect,” Lutz continued.

One of the most interesting statements around GM’s electric vehicles is the likely lifecycle of the battery—about 10 years or 100,000 miles. When pressed on the likely repair costs, Lutz claimed that replacement cost is likely the same “as an engine overhaul.”

There were no specific numbers attached to the cost of an “engine overhaul” so again, time and real-world experience will reveal actual and expected replacement costs. But that’s the story for now.

In the first full year of production for the Chevy Volt, which is slated for 2011, GM expects to deliver 8,000 – 10,000 units. The first vehicles will be purchased and driven primarily in California with other major markets to follow. Full capacity for the Volt is approximately 50,000 – 60,000 vehicles per year.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:34 PM
bjurasz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People whined in the 70s when pollution control started really kicking in, and yes HP shrunk for a time but the car manufacturers eventually figured it out and now look at what we have. We now have normally aspirated 3.5L V6's with more horsepower than the 5.7L V8 in my '92 Corvette had. Electric motors rock. Electric cars can be stupid fast. The only problem to solve (and its a big one) is energy storage. But I really do believe someone is going to find a way to solve that problem.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:52 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

2010 = 1970.

I think we have been here before, only it wasn't our own government taking it down.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:01 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
2010 = 1970.

I think we have been here before, only it wasn't our own government taking it down.
you will be sending out brush kits and armatures soon for electric motors
Old 01-05-2010, 04:05 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really don't care.

Ever since the Obama administration took my retirement money (GM Bonds) and gave it to the UAW so they could have their retirement money, I will never buy another GM product. I love both my Corvettes, my Grand Am, and my Denali XL, but never another GM product until GM makes their bond holders whole...which will be never.

Farewell GM. I was pleased to see your year-end performance come in worse than expected while your competitors continue to take your market share. Apparently you had more unhappy bond holders that used to buy your cars and feel just like me than retired UAW employees who are buying your cars now.

And BTW, since you've screwed me I purchased both a new Honda and a new Mercedes. Both of them are running great too.

Last edited by TedDBere; 01-05-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:21 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But, this time around I feel it is different. The first crisis was due to oil availability, this time it's worse, it's all the liberals and greenies in our own country that will put an end to the fun for sure, not OPEC.

Unlike back in 1973, the difference is that its now popular and trendy to be green. For the first time it is actually UNCOOL to be driving a powerful sportcars (I just can't figure this one out). Not sure who thinks electiric power is cleaner (still comes from mostly coal burning plants and batteries acids are by far worse ecologically than CO2).
Old 01-05-2010, 04:26 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere
IAnd BTW, since you've screwed me I purchased both a new Honda and a new Mercedes. Both of them are running great too.

I may buy a used GM product in the future, but never new... So sad.

Remember to VOTE in 2010!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-05-2010, 04:29 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Default Not done yet

Last Updated: January 05. 2010 1:12PM
CTS-V coupe to join Cadillac lineup in summer
David Phillips / Special to The Detroit News
General Motors Co. may have mothballed its high-performance vehicle operations in a cost-cutting move, but Cadillac has found a way to create some commotion inside Cobo Center this month.

The raucous 2011 CTS-V coupe will debut at the North American International Auto Show next week. Armed with the same engine as the CTS-V sedan, the coupe will tout a 556-horsepower supercharged V-8 engine, magnetic ride control and big Brembo brakes.

The V coupe's bulging body, wire mesh grille, and larger wheels and tires also are carried over from the current V-series CTS sedan.

Advertisement

When it arrives this summer, the CTS-V coupe will offer a 6-speed manual or automatic transmission with paddle shifters.

Look for pricing to start around $65,000.

In addition to the CTS-V Coupe, the XTS concept sedan will be introduced, signaling how Cadillac plans to replace the STS and DTS sedans in a few years. But we'll have to wait until the show for more details.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:31 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Default bring your charger Matt!

Last Updated: January 05. 2010 1:52PM
GM's first Volt battery pack to be assembled Thursday
Robert Snell / The Detroit News
General Motors Co. will start assembling the first lithium-ion battery pack for its Chevrolet Volt extended-range electric car Thursday, at an event that will be attended by U.S. Secretary of Energy Steven Chu, Gov. Jennifer Granholm and GM Chairman and CEO Ed Whitacre.

Chu's presence underscores the importance that the Volt and other alternatively powered vehicles could have on cutting consumer reliance on foreign oil. GM is receiving about $241 million in federal grants, including $106 million for its planned battery pack assembly factory in Brownstown Township, which will be the first such facility in the U.S. operated by a major automaker.

The $43 million lithium-ion battery plant alongside Interstate 75 is in the Brownstown Business Center industrial park. Brownstown Township, a Downriver community 14 miles southwest of Detroit, has approved a 50 percent tax break on new machinery and equipment for up to 12 years -- a deal worth several million dollars.

The site is minutes from Willow Run and Detroit Metropolitan airports, where lithium-ion battery cells could be delivered from Korea.

From there, the battery cells will be assembled into T-shaped packs at the Brownstown plant and hauled to GM's Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant, where the Volt will be built.

The Volt is scheduled to go on sale late next year and will let commuters travel up to 40 miles on electric power. The engine kicks in after its battery is drained by about 70 percent to sustain the battery's remaining charge to keep the car running for several hundred miles. The Volt's four-cylinder engine will be made at the Flint Engine South plant.

GM plans to produce about 8,000 Volts for the 2011 model year before eventually expanding to as many as 60,000 a year.

rsnell@detnews.com (313) 222-2028

Article Tools: Print Email Comment Read Comments Share
Old 01-05-2010, 04:42 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Old 01-05-2010, 05:12 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
they have sold millions now I doubt it will not happen even more. Every major car manufacturer has some electric cars coming in the next few years.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere
I really don't care.

Ever since the Obama administration took my retirement money (GM Bonds) and gave it to the UAW so they could have their retirement money, I will never buy another GM product. I love both my Corvettes, my Grand Am, and my Denali XL, but never another GM product until GM makes their bond holders whole...which will be never.

Farewell GM. I was pleased to see your year-end performance come in worse than expected while your competitors continue to take your market share. Apparently you had more unhappy bond holders that used to buy your cars and feel just like me than retired UAW employees who are buying your cars now.
Hear! Hear!

My sentiments exactly.

I've purchased more that 2 dozen new GM vehicles, either for me or for our company, and I can say I'll never buy a new one again, for the exact reason you stated.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:39 PM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

Location: Formerly from the Great White North but now residing in the Desert Southwest NM (The Land of Dis-Enchantment?)
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
2010 = 1970.

I wonder how long it's going to take for them to take down the last American car company...Ford...who would have thought?
Old 01-05-2010, 05:40 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

The only way I could possibly see buying another new GM is if i magically won the lottery, then I'd buy a new ZR1. Otherwise, no.

WTF am i going to do for a tow rig now? I'd rather push a ford than drive a dodge. And I can't buy a GM. Will Toyota please make a big turbo diesel for the tundra?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mgarfias
WTF am i going to do for a tow rig now? I'd rather push a ford than drive a dodge. And I can't buy a GM. Will Toyota please make a big turbo diesel for the tundra?
Buy a new usedDuramax. GM has already made it's money off the vehicle and you get the 100K warranty (Obama pays for those repairs). Wallyman just found a new used one, so they're available.

Just don't buy a new one.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:37 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Buy a new usedDuramax. GM has already made it's money off the vehicle and you get the 100K warranty (Obama pays for those repairs). Wallyman just found a new used one, so they're available.

Just don't buy a new one.
I know, but I fear that by the time I can buy, those 100k warranties will be expired. Time to get to work bringing more cash in.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:46 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
But, this time around I feel it is different. .......
For the first time it is actually UNCOOL to be driving a powerful sportcars .........
Damn, I just became uncool WTF?

Let the green turds drive their little turd cars and let me drive my car.

I can't believe they'd classify me as uncool. I don't classify the tree hugging granola eating electric car driving extremist idiots as uncool just because they drive those POS cars. I classify them that way because of the way they are.

Dog

Get notified of new replies

To We are SO dead...

Old 01-05-2010, 06:46 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the sky is falling and it's the government's fault!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:17 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by longdaddy
the sky is falling and it's the government's fault!
No it's the fault of the voters who elected them and have not done anything to stop it.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:32 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i would think that consumers supporting big 3's 20 year binge of developing and selling ****ty supersized cars has more to do with the problem than the logical conclusion of that process we are seeing now which is a number of choices between bad options (taking our money and dumping it into not-so-private-anymore businesses, screwing debt holders for GM/Crysler and fire sale of the brands) and worse ones (meltdown and shutdown of US auto industry and total - as opposed to partial - loss of anything related to it)

electocars and gas guzzler hate are just fads that companies and governments are trying to milk for PR, it will pass and we will eventually have viable alt fuel cars. which is good - I can't wait, but the priuses and volts aren't it. I am saving my knee jerk reactions for other problems

Quick Reply: We are SO dead...