Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire wear at the track... please advise.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:51 AM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire wear at the track... please advise.

My tires have worn more in the rear than the front... Not very shocking with the fun cars that many of us possess.

I went to the track back in February and my Front tires wear caught up pretty close to where the rear ones were after the 2 day event. It was 8 sessions about 20-25min each over the course of the 2 days.

I am looking to go back in May and my rears are above the treadwear indicator but getting close to it but the fronts are definitly fine.

I would replace just the rears, but they are the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval RFTs, and the rear 2 (since I don't want to mix and match) would cost the same as the full set of Hankooks i plan to get after the track day.

If my tires are where they stand now should i be okay for a track day (of course if it rains i think ill bite the bullet), and then replace them shortly after i return from the track?

I would really like to get more use out of these tires before i put a brand new set on and get 2 days of track wear on a new set if i don't have to.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:08 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=136898

Here are some pictures of the tread. Any advice?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:21 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 284 Likes on 200 Posts

Why not order 4 NT-05s NOW since you are going to track your car? Then you can either replace your tires immediately after your May event, OR use them there if your current tires should cord there?
About $800 for all four from Discount Tire direct?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Greywolfe
Racer

I couldn't see the pics but I have run street tires that were down to the wear bars and beyond with no issues. On a dry track they are better than full depth street tires. If it rains then you better be real careful.

My tires seem to wear evenly all the way around so I always replace a full set.

I am assuming you drive this on the street also so in that case I would get at least the rears for when it rains (and to be legal).

The wide ovals are a decent cheap street tire.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Greywolfe
Racer

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Why not order 4 NT-05s NOW since you are going to track your car? Then you can either replace your tires immediately after your May event, OR use them there if your current tires should cord there?
About $800 for all four from Discount Tire direct?
I had the NT-05s and they were good tires for dual purpose but you won't get as many miles or track days out of them as the Wide Ovals and you can go almost as fast on the WOs.

I also was intending to use the WO for the street only since I have now I have a second set of wheels with Hoosiers on them . But I have run the WO on the track and the NT-05 on the track and there is not a huge difference. WOs are better in the rain also. Can't go wrong either way. I think I will try the Potenza RE11s next.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:34 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Originally Posted by Greywolfe
I couldn't see the pics but I have run street tires that were down to the wear bars and beyond with no issues.
This is the reply i was looking for. Ill monitor them and drive nice till the track day. I love these forums, someone else has probably been in your situation if you ask around enough.

Thanks for the info ill keep them through my event.

The Firestones are good, but with the rebate through May 31st, I am going to try the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110. Full set for about $850 through Discount Tire and that Rebate.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:44 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If the wear bars are showing on your street tires, that is just pefect.

Street tires with too much tread, will chunk, block and wear out. As long as your street tires do not show cording, use them up.

on those photos of pennies in the tread, NOT a good indicator.

When you can see the top of Lincoln's head, then the tires are just right to track.

best answer is to get the nittos now.

Good Luck
Old 04-07-2010, 02:03 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Thanks for the replies i feel better about taking it to the track. Well i was at work and didn't really have anything good to use except that for some reference.

I am close to the wear bars but not there yet so i should be good from what you guys are saying for the track day, its about a month away.

Appreciate all the help.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

1.) What track? Clock or counter clock?
2.) stock suspension? coil overs? etc?
3.) tire pressures? cold? hot?
4.) track day temps?

I find in IMHO that improper tire pressure or suspension settings tends to be the biggest factor in tire wear sadly.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:37 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

MotorSport Ranch, 3.1 CCW.

Stock suspension.

Tire pressure is kept at 32 cold, last time i was at the track they warmed up to around 38-39

Track day temps, well Texas in May i would guess rougly 85 as a shot in the dark.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire wear at the track... please advise.

Quick Reply: Tire wear at the track... please advise.