Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let me ask another way, who's LS3 HASN"T blown up on the track

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 12:05 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Pff...i hold over 1 g's on exit ramps let alone racing...i run a 3 qt oil cooler and a batwing oil pan...no issues on 20000 miles. My motor is a 416 though. The short was built by scoggin dickey
Old 04-29-2011, 04:19 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've opened up all the drains in the heads (LS6 on top of a '99 LS1 shortblock) and smoothed everything out. Installed .040" pushrods to reduce oil to the heads as well as replaced the restrictive (in terms of oil drain) lifter cups with link bar lifters and I still have times when I get next to zero oil pressure(according to the factory display) on the track. Not to mention I have an accusump. I'm not sure why the LS3 would be worse. As far as the C6Z06, it is a dry sump, but only has one stage of scavenge so I'd bet its possible to run the tank dry if it is not large enough and doesn't have the proper baffles inside.
I personally plan on adding a two or three stage scavenge pump to my car and dry sump using the internal pump for pressure, but only because it is a street car that I take to the track and don't want to go through the trouble of fitting an external pump with more stages (motor mount makes it difficult. On a race car I would use an external pressure instead of the internal pump simply because the stock pump will cavitate and a properly built dry sump external pump will not.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:26 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by errance
Do you know when the LS2 oil pressure pump was modified?

Also, how come people blow up their Z06 engines all the time? They have dry sump from the factory, don't they?
That is more of a damp vs a dry sump. The early tanks had a big of a challenge.

I think we have to remember these are darn good performance engines without being purpose built race engines. Real race engines are measured in hours of use, not years or thousands of miles
Old 04-29-2011, 08:14 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
until the oil pressure pump was modified
I had my stock 06' oil pump ported during the cam install. Would this "help" in this dept of concern?
Old 04-29-2011, 08:49 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
I had my stock 06' oil pump ported during the cam install. Would this "help" in this dept of concern?
Probably will. I'm not sure exactly when they modified the pump, but I do know they changed it due to the 2005 LS2s detonating after just a few laps. I raced a guy in 2005 at Memphis with a brand new C6 LS2 and his engine lasted 1 lap before it blew. I remember driving thru the oil and engine parts the next lap around. I'm pretty sure Joe Aqualante had a talk with GM shortly after that and the pump was changed to deliver more volume. He was a big help in the LS3 department too. It took until 2009 though to make everyone realize that a dry sump was the only solution to the LS2/3 engine problems.

I know there have been some C6 Z06 engine issues, but I don't know what the issues were. I've driven a bunch on track (all with different mods) and never seen any problems, other than a bit high oil temps. But I believe the dry sump tank capacity was increased specifically to address those issues.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:10 AM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the engine in my c6 z06 blew up after about 5 laps during the first heat at summit point, and many more have grenaded themselves
Old 05-04-2011, 11:54 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I've been waiting over a year now for my 140,014 mile stock LS1 time bomb to explode.
Just gotta make it to September.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:30 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
I've been waiting over a year now for my 140,014 mile stock LS1 time bomb to explode.
Scott

That is why when ppl with older LS1s or LS6s ask about engine up grades to this cam or that thing, we say DONT TOUCH it. Run it until it blows up.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

I've only run a handful of track days so far with my 2010 LS3 on NT01's, but so far, it's got ~10k on it, and hasn't blown up .

However, after only my first track day (saw some higher oil temps) and based on the horror stories I read here last year after I bought the car, I bought a used LS3 "Bat-wing" pan (specifically built for the LS3, not the one from the LS6), and had an LS7 oil cooler installed at the same time. Again, I haven't run a bunch of days yet (3 or 4) but knock-on-wood, no problems.

Will see how things go this season.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:49 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by Joe_Planet
the engine in my c6 z06 blew up after about 5 laps during the first heat at summit point, and many more have grenaded themselves
I thought the dry sump would protect them. That's scary.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:27 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

So...is thia the block...or the heads causing the problem?
Old 05-12-2011, 12:31 AM
slo_z28
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
So...is thia the block...or the heads causing the problem?
Oiling issues. Mostly the pumps fault.

11 years and 26000 miles (all racing) in the silver bullet, and its camaro LS6 is holding up great! I know that my old boss has the 7th LS3 made, he has over 200,000 miles on that car now and its running great!
Old 05-14-2011, 04:27 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I use a ported ls6 pump
Old 05-14-2011, 05:02 AM
KLJ
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kedvesh
Pukes oil out the relief valve under normal, highway conditions. The oil sprays out onto the inside of my LF fender, bleeds out where the fender meets the wheel well, engine compartment and left rocker panel, coating the underside of my 'Vette and dripping onto my driveway and my garage floor.

Loses the 'residual' bladder pressure it's supposed to have when the engine has no oil pressure in the block. Residual pressure was first advised to be set at 7 PSI, then after a few puking incidents and one self-replacement of the relief valve (hated having to remove the bumper to gain access), I was advised to bump up the pressure to 25 PSI.

Puking oil and loss of residual pressure happens in periods between a few weeks to a few months, no matter what the weather/temp.

Latest incident occurred a week before a non-refundable HPDE weekend. I let my engine installer deal with the whole thing this time. He sent the sump and gauge back to Canton for a rebuild. Was informed today that Canton did the rebuild, but could find no cause for the puking and pressure loss. Hmmm. Car's been down for a month as a result. (ARGH!)

I have the da*n thing there to protect the engine during HPDEs, but all it's basically done is frustrate the h-e-double hockey sticks out of me and cost me more time and money.

I don't want to drive my beast on the track until things are fixed/resolved because I'm afraid the sump will let go while in an event, puke oil onto the course, cause an accident and cause me extra cost to clean up the track.

Sooo much fun.
After reading your description of the problem and Canton's pdf manual I suspect that the location of your unit is causing unequal cooling of the cylinder surface and distorting it. This would allow the unit to become hydraulically locked and the relief valve to discharge even under normal highway driving. When the unit is subsequently inspected the temperature differential across the unit is gone and the cause will "disappear."

Suggestion: Insulate the unit well and perhaps install a shielding baffle where the air flow is coming from.

Good luck.

Kevin Johnson

Last edited by KLJ; 05-14-2011 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Some people like to accuse me of hiding who I am. Good day!
Old 05-14-2011, 09:22 AM
redZ06bri
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Probably will. I'm not sure exactly when they modified the pump, but I do know they changed it due to the 2005 LS2s detonating after just a few laps. I raced a guy in 2005 at Memphis with a brand new C6 LS2 and his engine lasted 1 lap before it blew. I remember driving thru the oil and engine parts the next lap around. I'm pretty sure Joe Aqualante had a talk with GM shortly after that and the pump was changed to deliver more volume. He was a big help in the LS3 department too. It took until 2009 though to make everyone realize that a dry sump was the only solution to the LS2/3 engine problems.

I know there have been some C6 Z06 engine issues, but I don't know what the issues were. I've driven a bunch on track (all with different mods) and never seen any problems, other than a bit high oil temps. But I believe the dry sump tank capacity was increased specifically to address those issues.
Chris,

Based on your observations and experience, is the 2009+ LS7 (stock sump volume 10.5 qt) pretty robust ?

How would you compare the LS7 with the enhanced sump to the LS3 and versus LS6 in terms of durability under hard track conditions ?

Trying to figure out if I should put mine to the test.

Thanks !
Old 05-14-2011, 12:17 PM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sperkins
Scott - Congrats on the strong and long life of the engine. More power to ya and have fun!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Scott

That is why when ppl with older LS1s or LS6s ask about engine up grades to this cam or that thing, we say DONT TOUCH it. Run it until it blows up.
Tom - Amen! At this point, my wallet wishes I had never put that mild cam in my OEM LS1 in the first place, and that was 6 years, 90K miles and two engines ago. Mod and especially HPDE fever struck hard!
Old 05-14-2011, 12:53 PM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KLJ
After reading your description of the problem and Canton's pdf manual I suspect that the location of your unit is causing unequal cooling of the cylinder surface and distorting it. This would allow the unit to become hydraulically locked and the relief valve to discharge even under normal highway driving. When the unit is subsequently inspected the temperature differential across the unit is gone and the cause will "disappear."

Suggestion: Insulate the unit well and perhaps install a shielding baffle where the air flow is coming from.

Good luck.

Kevin Johnson
Kevin,

Thanks for the comment. To my non-mechanical engineering educated mind, your assessment seems plausible. I'll mention your suggestion to my shop.

FYI, my shop (a reputable CF sponsor) installed the Accusump with an inside left front fender install kit (from another reputable CF sponsor). They told me that they've never seen issues similar to mine with the sump system itself, until recently, when another car came into their shop with the same install kit (work done by another shop). Maybe install location is a contributing factor. Maybe (as another CF member posted), the sump gauges both I and this other driver have/had experienced an internal failure, causing non-typical sump problems. I don't know. Needless to say, it sounds like my shop is thinking more than twice and may shy away from using that plumbing and location install kit again, at least without some modification to the total system (sump and plumbing).

As for resolving my issues, the shop got with Canton and had my sump rebuilt (no labor/parts charges from Canton to me or to my shop that I know of ). My shop also provided a home-grown preventative fix to the relief valve puking issue - instead of puking on my fender, the relief valve will puke into one of my valve covers. Maybe my shop, the install kit maker and Canton will commiserate in the future over everything I experienced and make things better for future customers. We'll see.

Enjoy the summer!

Last edited by kedvesh; 05-14-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Let me ask another way, who's LS3 HASN"T blown up on the track

Old 05-14-2011, 12:57 PM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fennerhillpro
SO Puking oil hmmmmm just got back from Watkins Glen 2 days HPDE noticed a good size oil spot on left side mixed with water figured from air conditioning. I took it to the dealer said oilpan was leaking which it has for about a year. I wonder I think it is the check valve Would a catch can solve this? I have Lime rock in 10 days
Paul,

Sorry; just noticed your post from the end of April. Hope Lime Rock went well. PM about to be sent.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:05 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
I was having a problem with my Accusump similar to what the other poster had.

I finally found out what was causing it.

There was a very slow leak in the gauge fitting on the tank I didn't know about. Over a short period of time (1 week) it would completely lose all pressure and when the engine started there was a big instant pressure buildup that would blow the pressure relief valve momentarily and blowing oil everywhere. Not knowing at first what was creating this oily mess I installed another pressure relief valve. It happened again.

I mentioned it to Danny Popp and he diagnosed the problem as a probable loss of residual pressure and the engine creating enough momentary pressure to blow the valve.

I soaped up all the fitting on the Accusump tank and pumped it up to 50#. I immediately saw the bubbles around the gauge fitting. Replaced that, pumped the tank up to about 25#'s and haven't had another issue with it for the past 2 years.

Key to it is not let the engine try to pressurize the tank with no pressure against it. Always make sure there's air pressure.
Picking up my car from Danny this Sunday on the way to Mid Ohio. He told me yesterday that mine did the same thing. No pressure in the accusump and puked oil everwhere during his 'road test'. Will use the soap snooper next week and find it.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:45 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

My 08 base hasn't blown yet...only two tracks so far so I'm worthless was going to do an accusump with the electric valve setup next week with my ron davis radiator with an eoc. After reading all the accusump threads I'm a bit concerned with oil puking. Does the electric value solve that problem? Any reason not to use the 2 quart accusump? Does the 3 quart fit in the driver fender well without modding?

Quick Reply: Let me ask another way, who's LS3 HASN"T blown up on the track