Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone point me in the right direction (C3 Vintage racing)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:33 PM
1968OldsMan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can someone point me in the right direction (C3 Vintage racing)

I'm entertaining the idea of vintage road racing maybe even getting back into autox'ing. Does anyone know of or where i can go to find information on setting up a C3 (tires, suspension, and so on). I've tried different key words in the search function but it's just terrible.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:26 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

There are quite a few C3 vintage racers in the C3 Tech/Performance section.

You will most likely have to figure out which group you want to run with. Their rules will determine how far you can go with the tires, suspension, etc.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:45 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by 1968OldsMan
I'm entertaining the idea of vintage road racing maybe even getting back into autox'ing. Does anyone know of or where i can go to find information on setting up a C3 (tires, suspension, and so on). I've tried different key words in the search function but it's just terrible.
From your profile, I see your in NY. You may want to reach out to Jim Glass of Jim Glass Corvettes in Kingston, NY. Jim campaigns a number of Corvettes in vintage racing, and has a division of his company that specializes in selling, finding, restoring and maintaining vintage racers, mainly Corvettes. He can tell you all you need to know, to get started in vintage racing.

He can be reached at 845-331-5666, or www.jimglasscorvette.com.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:27 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

There are a few around
Old 09-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Mike P
Instructor

This forum right here has a few vintage racers and autocrossers.

There's also a basic guide on the Vette Brakes website with starting alignment information for road, track and autocross.

Ask your questions here, and we'll help you get started.

Mike
Old 09-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Paul at Vansteel can help you with chassis parts and set up advice.
He can be reached at 800-418-5397 and you'll find him on the forum with the Vansteel logo.

The post about Jim Glass is spot on. I've talked with him a couple of times and he can supply a complete car, set up, or build your existing car in his shop. They also offer trackside support if you want.

I don't know were you are in the process but remember it's cheaper to buy an existing car than building your own from scratch.......but not as much fun

Locke
North Florida Corvette Assn., NCCC
Buccaneer Region, SCCA
Jacksonville, FL
Old 09-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Let me add that if the car you intend to road race is the one in your avitar, buy a prepared race car.
I've been down the road of turning a nice street car into a race car and it isn't worth the time or money wasted.
Look into vintage racing and find out the sanctioning bodies available in your area. The latest edition of Grassroots Motorsports has a special story on Vintage Racing. Vintage Motorsports Magazine is fantastic (better than Playboy!) and lists Clubs/Sanctioning Bodies.
Before you jump in with buying or building a car, join a Club and go tothe races and talk with the people/see the cars.

Autocrossing is different in that running the car in a stock or lightly prepared class will not ruin it's value as a classic street car. Once again, find a Club you want to run with and research the rules before you spend money on parts. There are not very many places a C-3 car be competitive except the National Council of Corvette Clubs.

Have fun and don't hesitate to ask questions either on the Fourm or PM us.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:51 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

This is a great time to be a buyer of a C3 Corvette race car. The market is pretty depressed right now and I've seen a lot of bargains. Keep in mind that you might have to do some work on the car but that's part of the fun.

When you're just starting out focus on reliability. Speed is nice but it's more fun to drive the car all weekend. I'm not big on working on a car at the track. It's really not why you're at the track.

The other good thing is that if it's a race car people know about it. Every racer in your area can give you the story on the car you're looking at.

Richard Newton
Vintage Motorsport Magazine
Old 09-28-2011, 05:49 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Ditto with what Richard said.

Also, is the actual 'vintage' racing?

If so there are modification rules, basically you need to set up the car as it was run 'back in the day'.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:03 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

You may want to take in a vintage race to get an idea of what it's all about.

The Vintage Racer Group (the VRG) will be hosting an event at Watkins Glen, October 14-16. I hope to be there with Jim Glass, to crew on the ex-Doug Rippie 64 Corvette he has.

On can find out more about the VRG and their Watkins Glen race at www.vrgonline.org.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:05 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Excellent advice from knowledgable Forum members.
Here are four Vintage Corvettes currently for sale at very attractive prices. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-for-sale.html
Old 10-02-2011, 03:11 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Check out the websites for http://www.hsrrace.com and http://www.svra.com they are the two biggest/most popular vintage vette racing groups in the ne/midwest.
Have fun...be safe

Get notified of new replies

To Can someone point me in the right direction (C3 Vintage racing)

Quick Reply: Can someone point me in the right direction (C3 Vintage racing)