Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active handling defeated!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 06:46 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 383
does anybody know if this also disables "ice mode"?
No. Ice mode is in the EBCM programming.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:55 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by phipp85
No. Ice mode is in the EBCM programming.
someone needs to hack that thing.
HPTuners where you at with this
Old 06-10-2016, 08:40 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 383
someone needs to hack that thing.
HPTuners where you at with this
Agreed. That would be awesome. I'm sure the market is much smaller for something like this though.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:38 AM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Pulled the plug and had no issues without the TPMS.

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 07-15-2016, 07:31 AM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

*bump*

Has anyone experienced any drawbacks what-so-ever doing this?

If not, this should be a sticky here in the Auto-x & RR section.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:46 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by R_W
*bump*

Has anyone experienced any drawbacks what-so-ever doing this?
:
You lose Competitive Driving Mode (think newer driver and rain), and you will likely not have TPMS depending on the method you use to disable it. TPMS COULD help if you had a tire going down or had no idea where to set your tires. An advanced driver can tell to a high degree what each tire is doing pressure wise and can sense if there is a problem.. again something a novice could benefit from. I'm not arguing for it, just saying those are the likely counterpoints.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:53 AM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm only asking because I've had mine unplugged for a month now and have noticed no adverse effects what-so-ever. I have yet to track the car w/the plug out, but the appeal of not having to worry about TPMS or AH killing a weekend outweighs all other points against this.
It would be a big no for people with mag ride, but I'm not that fancy.
The following users liked this post:
HC Mechanic (01-28-2018)
Old 08-31-2016, 08:59 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I just had my tpms act up this with the DIC morning telling me I had a flat and 6 psi in a tire that clearly was inflated... after I parked the car to check it out the error went away. I never use AH and am considering disconnecting the sensor; has anyone had any problems with this? Will it screw up my steering wheel position (have the telescoping wheel on my c6).

Also does this allow the use of tc? I rarely use it but it would be cool to have some TC available if needed while still killing the AH.

Thanks!

Old 08-31-2016, 09:10 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
I just had my tpms act up this with the DIC morning telling me I had a flat and 6 psi in a tire that clearly was inflated... after I parked the car to check it out the error went away. I never use AH and am considering disconnecting the sensor; has anyone had any problems with this? Will it screw up my steering wheel position (have the telescoping wheel on my c6).

Also does this allow the use of tc? I rarely use it but it would be cool to have some TC available if needed while still killing the AH.

Thanks!

it kills every thing not a good idea for street driving
IE rutted highway in rain
Old 09-08-2016, 11:07 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
it kills every thing not a good idea for street driving
IE rutted highway in rain
I've had mine disconnected for a couple years now after the lateral accelerometer went wonky and gave me a lot of problems. The car is at 638rwhp with Toyo R888's. I've driven in downpours, through standing water, in 30F temps, auto crossed, drag races, 1/2 mile runway events, and lots of spirited driving on the street. The roads here in Iowa are pretty bad due to temp changes through the seasons.

I've had zero issues, ever. Not even a single close call or butt puckering moment. If you use a shred of common sense, you'll be fine. Especially if you use normal street tires. I've considered never even hooking it back up as it seems just plain unnecessary.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:17 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

question

other than not being able to read tire pressures why is it bad not to have TPMS in your wheels ( track or street )?

i have 2 sets of wheels for my 06Z06, 1 set has working TMPS and the other set has TMPS but not programmed to the car so the DIX reads xx xx xx xx on all for tires

i get no codes of yellow warning lights at all and can still cycle thru active handling modes

i have tested and my Traction control and Active Handling works ( trying to do a burn out, donuts, aggressive corners and getting off steep/angled driveways ) so i know my A/H T/C works as intended

can some1 explain me why is it "DANGEROUS" to drive with bad or missing TMPS?

Old 09-12-2016, 01:25 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MUKAK
question

other than not being able to read tire pressures why is it bad not to have TPMS in your wheels ( track or street )?

i have 2 sets of wheels for my 06Z06, 1 set has working TMPS and the other set has TMPS but not programmed to the car so the DIX reads xx xx xx xx on all for tires

i get no codes of yellow warning lights at all and can still cycle thru active handling modes

i have tested and my Traction control and Active Handling works ( trying to do a burn out, donuts, aggressive corners and getting off steep/angled driveways ) so i know my A/H T/C works as intended

can some1 explain me why is it "DANGEROUS" to drive with bad or missing TMPS?

Normally if the car detects none or malfunctioning tpms it goes into limp mode, which imposes high or max levels of AH/TC and limits speed by cutting engine power (ignition?). I've had it happen on track and the car was alternately a handful and then really slow and non responsive......I felt I had limited control of the car, not good on track. On the other hand, I have driven home with non functioning tpms and it seemed to be ok; it allowed me to drive at 75mph, which puzzled me since I assumed the car was limited to 55 when in limp mode.

I found tpms to be of limited value until last month's Laguna track day where I discovered a slow leak after lunch. I pumped the tire up and crossed my fingers as I drove two hours back home. It turned out to be a loose stem nut, but once I figured out how to reliably reprogram the tpms, it's not a big deal.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:50 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by harrydirty
Normally if the car detects none or malfunctioning tpms it goes into limp mode, which imposes high or max levels of AH/TC and limits speed by cutting engine power (ignition?). I've had it happen on track and the car was alternately a handful and then really slow and non responsive......I felt I had limited control of the car, not good on track. On the other hand, I have driven home with non functioning tpms and it seemed to be ok; it allowed me to drive at 75mph, which puzzled me since I assumed the car was limited to 55 when in limp mode.

I found tpms to be of limited value until last month's Laguna track day where I discovered a slow leak after lunch. I pumped the tire up and crossed my fingers as I drove two hours back home. It turned out to be a loose stem nut, but once I figured out how to reliably reprogram the tpms, it's not a big deal.
Basiclly the same experience here. Drive around on the street with XX on the DIC at freeway speeds no problem. One goes out on the track and tries to kill me.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:17 PM
Oversight
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This works on a C5 Z as well. I was having issues with the car going into "reduced engine power"/ "Service Active Handling" during autocross runs. It would do it at least once per event. After finding this thread, I unplugged the steering angle sensor before going to a track weekend, and it's perfect. No issues whatsoever. I don't use Competetive Drving Mode so no loss there.

This is at the base of the column closest to firewall. You don't need to take any part of the dash or under steering wheel plastics. It looks similar to the C6 pics on page 1 of this thread except it's a light green color on the C5.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:37 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by el es tu

Thanks!

Traction Control on / off is still an option for me with the sensor unplugged.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:57 AM
gun5l1ng3r
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other magical question....

Does this defeat Dynamic Rear Brake Proportioning on my 2004 ZO6?

If I brake while turning it feels like the ABS is rattling my pedal and I am almost positive it is not regular pad knockback...

I have a feeling Dynamic Rear Brakes is stuck in the ECBM....
Old 09-30-2016, 09:39 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
The other magical question....

Does this defeat Dynamic Rear Brake Proportioning on my 2004 ZO6?

If I brake while turning it feels like the ABS is rattling my pedal and I am almost positive it is not regular pad knockback...

I have a feeling Dynamic Rear Brakes is stuck in the ECBM....
It should not affect ABS

Get notified of new replies

To Active handling defeated!

Old 12-14-2016, 11:17 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

got a question im looking for clarification on.

if i disconnect the SWPS plug under the column, and my track wheels DO have TPMS in them. does the TPMS work correctly? ie are Psi still displayed on dash?

or does disconnecting the plug also cut the communication coming from the TPMS? ie no Psi readouts on dash? what does it display? XX?
Old 12-15-2016, 07:49 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS

if i disconnect the SWPS plug under the column, and my track wheels DO have TPMS in them. does the TPMS work correctly? ie are Psi still displayed on dash?

or does disconnecting the plug also cut the communication coming from the TPMS? ie no Psi readouts on dash? what does it display? XX?
I think they still work. I'm going to try it soon.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:08 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS

Yes the TPMS still displays tire pressures,............. however
My last track session the active handling did kick in with the SWS disconnected! I couldn't go over 35 on a corner
I broke down & got a track box from LG, nothing like losing a whole day at VIR

Quick Reply: Active handling defeated!