Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

if ya had a skf choice / front or back

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 10:29 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default if ya had a skf choice / front or back

If ya could only 2 SKF bearings at a time .... would you do fronts / rears / Left side / Right Side / 1 L 1 R ???? just wondering .. typical HPDE car up and down the east tracks....
Old 01-26-2014, 10:42 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More weight and more heat from the brakes at the front, I'd do both fronts.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:43 PM
zigspeed10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fronts. When I was running stock replacement bearings, the fronts would die faster than the rears. I guess they take more abuse from the brake heat.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:01 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Fronts.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:38 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I disagree with the above posters. In the last two years, I personally saw three different hub failures - 2 at VIR and 1 at Summit. ALL THREE WERE REAR HUBS !! Two were passenger side and 1 drivers side. IMHO put them on the rear !

Last edited by CHJ In Virginia; 01-27-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:36 AM
5280Racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like your getting all 4 !!!
Old 01-27-2014, 10:25 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Did the actual hubs fail or did the bearings wear out?
I'm not sure if the hubs in the SKFs are any stronger than OEM.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:07 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For what it's worth, I installed 4 brand new SKF Heavy Duty hubs at the same time on my C6 track car 23 months ago. They lasted almost 2 seasons, but the driver's rear ABS sensor was flaky, causing ABS issues 3-4 laps into each ignition cycle. That started in September and I chased it thinking it was wiring and EBTCM. Fast forward to two weeks ago, I traveled to Houston for the NASA TX season opener. Normally I travel with spares but I forgot them at home. Jay (crease-guard) saved my bacon by loaning me a spare, thanks again sir!! Hub was fine, ABS sensor crap.

My vote: Rear
Old 01-27-2014, 11:42 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

My experience is that the OEM flanges crack on the front vastly sooner than on the rear.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:15 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

My rear stock ones always wear out first, c4 and c5z, I would replace rears.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:16 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

I have found that the wire used on the SKF ABS connectors is not that great (one wire simply cracked in two). I have rebuilt a few, adding in teflon (very high temp) wire.
If you are regularly tracking, wrapping the wire in heat shielding is a good idea (I think), though a bit of the heat surely comes through the wire's copper, from the hub.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:08 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Did the actual hubs fail or did the bearings wear out?
I'm not sure if the hubs in the SKFs are any stronger than OEM.
If you see a side by side comparison - OEM / SKF it is apparent that the SKF is a MUCH stouter, more strongly built unit. Some one posted pics a while back.
Two of the failures I saw were the flange actually separating from the body of the hub. They broke at the weld point. The rotor / wheel was held in place only by the caliper bracket. Both cars made it into the pits without major problems. The third was a bearing failure. Rotating the OEM hub it sounded like the bearing was full of sand !
Old 01-27-2014, 05:06 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
I disagree with the above posters. In the last two years, I personally saw three different hub failures - 2 at VIR and 1 at Summit. ALL THREE WERE REAR HUBS !! Two were passenger side and 1 drivers side. IMHO put them on the rear !
I may have been the one at Summit - broke rear drivers side coming out of turn 9 at the NASA event on Nov 3rd. I was over near you asking Jack M. for tools (34 mm socket)...LOL. But, in my case - the fronts were already SKF and the rears were originals from '99 with about 65 track days on them (yikes!).

Although its possible the rears may take more abuse and fail sooner (but the results noted above are not conclusive), IMO *IF* I could only afford two SKF hubs I'd do the fronts. If they do break - I'd way rather the rear break than the fronts. In my case, the rear failure was almost a non-event - the motor overreved for a moment then the LSD caught - I just slowly went up the hill and into the pits.

Last edited by argonaut; 01-27-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:18 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

The fronts take far more load than the rears. Now if the fronts are new and your rears are used...yeah I would either move the fronts to the back and put the SKF's on the rear or just put them on the rear and get fronts when they wear out.

What we have seen for life on track using slicks on our Corvette's both World Challenge and GrandAm.

OEM bearings 5-8 hrs on track

GM 'Race' bearings 12-18 hrs on track

SKF HD bearnings 36-38 hrs

As with any electronics on the car you need to make sure the wires are supported and not being pulled or pushed to much. Zip ties and wire mounts are your friend!
Old 01-27-2014, 10:09 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Bend over and replace all four. I had a driver's rear go out one weekend and then the driver's front the next weekend. The second weekend resulted in coming home on a trailer. I ordered SKFs that evening.

Which ones wear out is going to depend on the tracks/courses you run. Lost track time costs money. Breaking and crashing is even more. My breaks occurred at lower speeds. Be safe.

--Dan
Old 01-28-2014, 12:01 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by dbratten
Bend over and replace all four. I had a driver's rear go out one weekend and then the driver's front the next weekend. The second weekend resulted in coming home on a trailer. I ordered SKFs that evening.

Which ones wear out is going to depend on the tracks/courses you run. Lost track time costs money. Breaking and crashing is even more. My breaks occurred at lower speeds. Be safe.

--Dan
yea that's probably the best thing
Old 01-28-2014, 03:10 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Here's what one OEM looked like with a full circumference break --

And here's a shot of the disassembled rear during replacement where I found it much easier to remove the spindles by popping off the ball joints and tie rods to be able to work on the hubs out in the open with air tools or a vice.

On the rear I left the upper a-arm attached as it doesn't affect alignment. Either way.

On the front, I popped the ball joint and left the a-arm in place as I have shims up there as I use the camber plates for alignment.

--Dan

Get notified of new replies

To if ya had a skf choice / front or back

Old 01-28-2014, 10:56 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Sounds about right. I've only seen that cracked flange on an OEM hub.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:55 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by dbratten

And here's a shot of the disassembled rear during replacement where I found it much easier to remove the spindles by popping off the ball joints and tie rods to be able to work on the hubs out in the open with air tools or a vice.
Not the only selling point...but FYI for those of you running our billet drop spindles. You can change front and rear wheel bearings without removing the upright, or even breaking a ball joint loose. The bearing is located far enough up that it clears most socket bits to pull it out.

Made my life that much easier at the track for a bearing change

Old 03-23-2014, 09:03 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
The fronts take far more load than the rears. Now if the fronts are new and your rears are used...yeah I would either move the fronts to the back and put the SKF's on the rear or just put them on the rear and get fronts when they wear out.

What we have seen for life on track using slicks on our Corvette's both World Challenge and GrandAm.

OEM bearings 5-8 hrs on track

GM 'Race' bearings 12-18 hrs on track

SKF HD bearnings 36-38 hrs

As with any electronics on the car you need to make sure the wires are supported and not being pulled or pushed to much. Zip ties and wire mounts are your friend!
Anthony - which of the above 3 are on your website - the SKF HD??

Anyone have a pic of all 3?? Basically what's the visual difference between GM race bearing and the SKF HD??

Quick Reply: if ya had a skf choice / front or back