Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic pads on track?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 04:39 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

Default Ceramic pads on track?

So the brakes on my 2010 Grand Sport are squeaking at times. With 3 days of track use on what I assume are the stock pads, I'm looking at replacements.

The car doesn't get tracked anymore really, but it would be a backup so it may end up on track. I was looking at some centric ceramic pads, and was wondering if something like that would be ok to run on the track.

I know the performance won't be as good as a hawk or Carbotech or whatever, but since it is predominantly a street car I'm not very concerned that. The question is if they would be safe to use on the track rarely.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:18 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're cruising around at 5/10's, maybe. But I don't think they take heat well at all. I wouldn't.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:01 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by FAUEE
So the brakes on my 2010 Grand Sport are squeaking at times. With 3 days of track use on what I assume are the stock pads, I'm looking at replacements.

The car doesn't get tracked anymore really, but it would be a backup so it may end up on track. I was looking at some centric ceramic pads, and was wondering if something like that would be ok to run on the track.

I know the performance won't be as good as a hawk or Carbotech or whatever, but since it is predominantly a street car I'm not very concerned that. The question is if they would be safe to use on the track rarely.
Is the car going to see track time again, I mean HPDE? Auto X or Drag strip are fine to run the 1521 compound.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 09-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't put them on my car as a backup HPDE pad.

I was instructing a beginner-group C5Z student with ceramic pads last month, and he overheated the pads half-way through his first session.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:42 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

I don't expect it to see the track... but I didn't expect to use it at the last event either and ended up using it mostly.

Hokie, that's the sort of stuff I was looking to hear about. I may just go with a standard set of Semi-Metallic replacements. I know they'll hold up well enough, and they'll be fine for everything else.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:33 AM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I may just go with a standard set of Semi-Metallic replacements. I know they'll hold up well enough, and they'll be fine for everything else.
This is the right decision. I have the same centric pads you are talking about on my C5. They work well for street and auto-x use, but after five bed-in stops from 60 down to ~10, there is noticeable pad fade. I absolutely would not recommend them for any kind of track use.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:16 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

The stock pads would be far superior and safer to use on track than any ceramic pad out there.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:25 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports

The stock pads would be far superior and safer to use on track than any ceramic pad out there.

Jim
Old 09-21-2014, 06:07 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I was doing HPDE with a pontiac G8. Made the mistake of putting on hawk ceramic pads. Drove 12 hours to see friends and do an event at autobahn.

My rotors turned black and the brakes stopped working, from what I assume was the melted pads. The 12 hour ride home was interesting to say the least. The last 10 feet or so of trying to stop the car was tricky.

I appreciate the G8 is a much heavier car, but there is no way I would ever use ceramic pads on the track again. Regardless, it was a very fun event. About 6 other G8s were there.

Get notified of new replies

To Ceramic pads on track?

Quick Reply: Ceramic pads on track?