C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Steering column rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 10:30 PM
GTS34
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering column rebuild

Anyone ever have their steering column rebuilt? I took my 67's column apart to sandblast, repaint, and inspect and I was debating whether or not to reassemble myself or send it out (I took it apart awhile back so my memory of how it goes back together might be a little fuzzy). I plan on replacing the bearings, etc. All I see listed is rebuild services for the tele column?
Old 02-08-2005, 11:33 PM
bondtimbond
Instructor

I did it myself and its not that hard. All parts came from LIC. If you can't remember how it went together that could be a problem however...

Also, you have to figure out if you have an early 67 design or later design. They are different in the lower bearing area.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:09 AM
GTS34
Instructor

I have a late 67 (car was built June 67). It doesn't seem to hard to go back together, I just figured I need new bearings, etc so I thought I would see if anyone offered a rebuild service or if I should just order the parts and do it myself. I did take it apart some time ago, and can't find any diagrams showing the steering column though?
Old 02-09-2005, 09:09 AM
6tee6
Racer

Like Tim, I did mine myself. Ordered some replacement parts from LIC and put her back together.

I also, had waited a while to reassemble after taking it apart. I used the AIM along with the exploded view available in the LIC catalog and surprisingly enough it went right together.....Turns right and left, signals work and no parts left over...
Old 02-09-2005, 03:40 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 741 Likes on 461 Posts

Not difficult at all (mine is a 1965 non-tele). I can send you some pics of that tonite if you want them.

Check out Sect 18 of the LIC catalog here:
http://www.licorvette.com/pdfcatalogfiles/cat23/18.pdf

Their pics might be useful to you.

DZ

Last edited by DZVette; 02-09-2005 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:21 AM
GTS34
Instructor

Any pics would be appreciated. The one thing I can't seem to figure out is where one of the plastic spacer (collar)? goes. Not the black one that goes at the bottom, there is a yellowish clear looks like a gear on the outside, and is round on the inside and has a split in it (circled in red in the pic). When I disassembled the column it was just floating on the shaft in the crumple zone area of the column. This one definitely goes inside the tube housing unlike the lower one. Also any suggestions on what to use to cover the crumple area, I removed the original thin plastic cover, and electical tape which held it before I sandblasted it.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering column rebuild

Quick Reply: Steering column rebuild