C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1963 electrical question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Tonytz06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1963 electrical question

Hello;

I have a question about the engine harness.

First, what I have done:

Added Vintage Air

Relocated the alternator to the driver side and convert to an internal regulator.

Relocated the battery to the rear compartment behind the passenger seat.

Rewired the starting system according to MAD Electrical for a rear battery relocation.

Converting to HEI.

What I would like to do:

Rework the existing engine harness, move it to the drivers side and eliminate the wires that will not be used.

Eliminate the following wires in the harness:

All blower motor blower motor wires.
All wires going to the starter, red with black, purple wire, and pink wire.

My question is:

The red wire going to the starter solenoid has a black wire attached. The red wire goes back to the horn relay bus bar and the black goes back to the plug in at the firewall. According to the wiring diagram, at the plug in, the black wire appears to be inter-grated with a tan wire that goes to the plug in at the horn relay. I would like to eliminate this portion of the harness, but not sure if I can as it looks like this is used to supply power to the horn relay and the horns. Can I eliminate this or does it have to remain in the harness?

Thanks;

Tony
Old 07-18-2010, 05:18 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Why remove them if they aren't connjected to a hot lead. Simply werap them in harness tape to hide them. That way if anyone wanted to use the original hook-up the wires are still there. Seems like actually removing them wold just be a big waste of time and effort
Old 07-18-2010, 05:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonytz06
Hello;

I have a question about the engine harness.

First, what I have done:

Added Vintage Air

Relocated the alternator to the driver side and convert to an internal regulator.

Relocated the battery to the rear compartment behind the passenger seat.

Rewired the starting system according to MAD Electrical for a rear battery relocation.

Converting to HEI.

What I would like to do:

Rework the existing engine harness, move it to the drivers side and eliminate the wires that will not be used.

Eliminate the following wires in the harness:

All blower motor blower motor wires.
All wires going to the starter, red with black, purple wire, and pink wire.

My question is:

The red wire going to the starter solenoid has a black wire attached. The red wire goes back to the horn relay bus bar and the black goes back to the plug in at the firewall. According to the wiring diagram, at the plug in, the black wire appears to be inter-grated with a tan wire that goes to the plug in at the horn relay. I would like to eliminate this portion of the harness, but not sure if I can as it looks like this is used to supply power to the horn relay and the horns. Can I eliminate this or does it have to remain in the harness?

Thanks;

Tony
Tony,
I am at home now...and do not have a wiring diagram with me. But I do at my shop. If you want to...you can call me tomorrow and I will be glad to help you in this. But from memory...which sometimes I am mistaken...the red wire from the solenoid to the horn relay is 12 volts....and needs to be there. Because there are often times other wires that bolt to the horn relay to get power. And they often times may have a fusible link attached to it. You can wire in another wire...if you choose...to complete your vision on what you are looking for.

I need a clearer picture on what you are doing..or wanting to achieve....because I often times remove wiring due to upgrades and add new circuits and what have you. Been here before...just need to "see" your vision.
(704) 394-5150 EST M-F 8:30-5:00
"DUB"
Old 07-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Tonytz06
Pro

DUB;

Thank you I will give you a call in the morning.

GCD 1962;

The harness has been patched a couple of times by the previous owner. I am doing a body off with some upgrades and wanted to clean the harness up. I have another harness for replacement if I decide to sell the car and someone wanted to return the engine harness to original configuration.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:45 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonytz06
DUB;

Thank you I will give you a call in the morning.

GCD 1962;

The harness has been patched a couple of times by the previous owner. I am doing a body off with some upgrades and wanted to clean the harness up. I have another harness for replacement if I decide to sell the car and someone wanted to return the engine harness to original configuration.
Sooo, I am adding additional electrical circuitry to the car and I am adding additional electrical load on the car and I have another harness (hopefully new) for the car and I am going to continue to modify an already modified 47 year old harness.

My suggestion is get that old wiring harness out of the car and replace it as a safety consideration. You don't have to take my suggestion. It is your choice.

Rich
Old 07-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Tonytz06
Pro

Rich;

I agree, everything in the car is new, including all of the wiring. I have installed a separate fuse block with appropriate size wire for voltage drop and amp rating to take care of any additional load. This panel will be fed using the system described by MAD Electrical and will not affect the new replacement underdash harness. The engine harness is the only one not replaced, but again is not going to be a part of the system supply for any additional load.
I have done this in a couple of cars, last one a 67 El Camino with a 572 crate motor, added Vintage Air, and a good, not over done, sound system. No problems.
The wiring for the 63 starting circuit is somewhat different than my 67, that's why my initial question.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:49 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,058 Posts

10-4 Looks like you should have it under control.

Rich
Old 07-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Tonytz06
Pro

Hey, I think I am having fun.

Again, thanks everyone for the information.

Tony
Old 07-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Harness

I have the same set up in my 66. I ordered a harness for an A/C car. The alt. wiring is on the driver's side. I also feel more comfortable with a new harness using a 100 amp alt. Since it is a factory harness, the wiring does not look out of place in my engine bay. I know 63 was the first year of factory A/C for our cars, so the harness is available. You can even leave the voltage regulator in place, just remove or block the gang connection. Good luck. Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 electrical question

Quick Reply: 1963 electrical question