C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 vert with air

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 11:01 PM
robbie shirkowski
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 64 vert with air

I am going to look at a 64 vert with (according to the owner) factory air conditioning. What should I look for to prove it is a factory A/C car? I don't think there is any info on the trim tag? How about the engine code? Lastly, the car is in decent shape,it runs and drives, what would the car be worth? I don't know the HP. Thanks
Old 09-22-2014, 11:21 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me jump in with some basics first. The central vent, battery on the drivers side, washer bag on the same side. That will get you into the ball park if it was factory installed. Value is more difficult. Lots of variables. I'll let someone else try that.

Make sure the bird cage is solid. Check for rust in the frame at the kick-up and take the glove box out to check up in there. Think there are either 6 or 8 screws to take out for the glove box. Sure does open up the section of the cage for viewing.

Bud.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:31 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 161 Posts

I have a 64 Coupe with A/C for sale in the "For Sale" section. A/C cars have a vent over the clock in the center of the dash. Also, the alternator is on the driver's side. Look also for tinted windows.

My coupe has an Air Condition sticker on the back window. Don't know where or if this was affixed on Verts.

I would also ask if the car is running R12 (the original refrigerant), or converted to R134.

NADA indicates about $3k upcharge for Average Retail.

Good luck and if you need more info, shoot me a PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:50 AM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by robbie shirkowski
I am going to look at a 64 vert with (according to the owner) factory air conditioning. What should I look for to prove it is a factory A/C car? I don't think there is any info on the trim tag? How about the engine code? Lastly, the car is in decent shape,it runs and drives, what would the car be worth? I don't know the HP. Thanks
Yes the engine suffix would indicate a factory A/C car.

In addition to the indicators already provided, check:

the driver's side inner fender has an access panel for battery removal

the core support does not have X bracing across the opening

the right side kick panel vent has no louvers in the top half.

The decal would be on the passenger window, lower left corner I believe.

Good luck on the hunt!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:04 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Aside from the engine code, all that can be bolted on well after the factory. On the passenger side firewall will be a place to look for the cut out. But, that could be faked too if a full rest was done. However, if original paint on the firewall, I think you can determine originality there.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:19 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

The presence of A/C will show on the trim tag IF the car was built after March 25th.

Factory A/C will have a very large steel evaporator case on the engine side of the firewall; aftermarket A/C has everything inside the car, under the dash, with a flat plate on the engine side.

A/C Engine codes: 250 manual = RP, 250 Glide = SK, 300 manual = RQ, 300 Glide = SL, 365hp manual = RR (standard ignition), RU with T.I.
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2014, 10:44 PM
robbie shirkowski
Instructor

Thanks for all of the replies. i have found out more info on the car. It has factory A/C PS PB automatic. 300 HP. If all checks out I would still like your opinion on value. The 64 is the white elephant of the midyears but it has nice options! The auto is a rare option but hurts the value.

Last edited by robbie shirkowski; 09-23-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:25 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,238 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Thanks for all of the replies. i have found out more info on the car. It has factory A/C PS PB automatic. 300 HP. If all checks out I would still like your opinion on value. The 64 is the white elephant of the midyears but it has nice options! The auto is a rare option but hurts the value.
Runs and drives isn't quite enough info to come up with a value. Post some pictures and check out the birdcage and frame and post back what you find. Then you'll get within $20K one way or the other with guesses.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:07 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Enough with all this white elephant stuff about '64's. I try to be respectful on the forum but the fact is that car for car a 64 TENDS to be a bit less expensive- hey, some year had to take the slot- but I feel zero inferiority about owning one. Rather, I feel strongly that "stigma" of a 64 is wayyyyy overblown by a minority of loudmouths in a few circles we all know. I happen to like my '64 aesthetically better than any other year, and 65/66's come next. The general public appreciates all the years, even if they have an easier time "spotting" a SWC. To the OP (to keep this slightly on topic) if you are new to this, don't buy into "white elephant" BS. Buy the car you like, pay what you feel comfortable paying, and drive it!
Old 09-24-2014, 12:16 PM
robbie shirkowski
Instructor

I meant no disrespect to any corvette owner. A corvette is a corvette!
Old 09-24-2014, 01:15 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

I meant no disrespect to any corvette owner. A corvette is a corvette!
I don't think you do, but the fact that you called it a white elephant means the rhetoric spreads easily to new folks coming in. Rest assured there are many more folks who love a '64 for reasons other than price, despite the contingent of folks who (sadly) still see their Corvette as a way to one-up their brethren. I've said before, as a toy purchase ALL these cars are expensive compared to their GM contemporaries- just some more than others.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:27 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,591 Likes on 823 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
Enough with all this white elephant stuff about '64's. I try to be respectful on the forum but the fact is that car for car a 64 TENDS to be a bit less expensive- hey, some year had to take the slot- but I feel zero inferiority about owning one. Rather, I feel strongly that "stigma" of a 64 is wayyyyy overblown by a minority of loudmouths in a few circles we all know. I happen to like my '64 aesthetically better than any other year, and 65/66's come next. The general public appreciates all the years, even if they have an easier time "spotting" a SWC. To the OP (to keep this slightly on topic) if you are new to this, don't buy into "white elephant" BS. Buy the car you like, pay what you feel comfortable paying, and drive it!
I agree with all you say. Not only that, but the OP is looking at a convertible. The '64 convertible is nearly the same car as the '63 convertible.

The good news is that those who disparage the '64 serve to bring the price down so that folks who don't buy into the red-headed stepchild or white elephant BS can score a great car at a great price.

So there is an upside to all of the silliness.

-- Steve
Old 09-24-2014, 01:38 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Geary
Yes the engine suffix would indicate a factory A/C car.

In addition to the indicators already provided, check:

the driver's side inner fender has an access panel for battery removal

the core support does not have X bracing across the opening

the right side kick panel vent has no louvers in the top half.

The decal would be on the passenger window, lower left corner I believe.

Good luck on the hunt!
Could someone post a photo of this access panel please?

Verne
Old 09-24-2014, 01:50 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,238 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Right below the washer bag:

Name:  imagesHINXAWSB.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  5.3 KB

Name:  A8513.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  5.7 KB
Old 09-24-2014, 03:25 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Thanks. It looks like that part is being reproduced.

Verne
Old 09-24-2014, 04:18 PM
jprop
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 115 Posts

I have a white/red 64 with the same options; a/c, PS, PB, auto, 300 HP. It has been restored with Bloomington Gold and NCRS Top Flight awards. Realistically, I would value the car at 55K-60K. Unrestored would be somewhat less.

Get notified of new replies

To 64 vert with air

Quick Reply: 64 vert with air