C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

YOM tags - Just your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 01:22 PM
Tracy64
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default YOM tags - Just your thoughts

Hey guys,

So I was digging through this antique type place and found a 1964 tag with the correct county code. The only thing is that it has the letter designation for 4000+ vehicle. On a scale of 1 - 10 I would give it a 7.5 - 8. Pretty nice condition. Considering that, I'm just curious as to what the general consensus is to using the tag with that weight designation. I'll probably use it anyway unless someone in my county has a 64 model P/U that would like to have it. So what do you think? Would you use it?

/Tracy

Ps: there is a boat of tags there from 50's to 70's especially from Florida.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:26 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I ran with a tag for a 1963 trailer (legally registered) on my '63 for a while, hell -- nobody knew that but me. But I just got my vanity plate with "SWC 63" so -- that's what I'm running with now.

If its in nice shape go ahead and use it.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:27 PM
KNIPPS
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Tag

I run a YOM tag on my 67...if you look around you should be able to find a "proper" plate.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:33 PM
denneys69
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've run YOM tags on different cars that had incorrect weight or wrong county. But I liked the particular number. In the end who knew but a real tag guy. So if you like it go for it. Also there are restorers who do tags back to original condition. Only those with reflective backgrounds can't be duplicated. Or let me say I haven't found a company who can do the reflective background.
Good luck, Dennis
Old 05-11-2015, 02:55 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I have YOM plates on my 63 and really like it. I don’t know what the rules are in Georgia, but in Colorado there is a ‘hidden’ benefit with running a YOM plate.

The plate is registered with the STATE and not the county/city, imagine how well that works at photo speed/stoplight hot spots.

The downside is that you may be pulled over by an uninformed cop, so always have the statute law in the car as well as the ‘real’ plates.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:58 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 528 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by denneys69
I've run YOM tags on different cars that had incorrect weight or wrong county. But I liked the particular number. In the end who knew but a real tag guy. So if you like it go for it. Also there are restorers who do tags back to original condition. Only those with reflective backgrounds can't be duplicated. Or let me say I haven't found a company who can do the reflective background.
Good luck, Dennis
Florida (for one) will not accept a "restored" plate. And the plate must be sent in for it to be approved. Only then does it become your legal plate (no need for a current year plate to kept available), and you are issued a new sticker come renewal time.

I agree completely that most people will not recognize that it is the wrong weight or county.......

Best to check with your DMV for your state's requirements

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 05-11-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:39 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

If you like the plate and the number, do it. It's your car, and you should please yourself. There will be people who know that the plate is wrong. They will feel specially chosen by God to point that out to you. This will give their lives new meaning. If that doesn't bother you, and you like the plate, do it.

If that will bother you, then don't do it. There's lots of plates out there. License plate collecting is a big hobby. (Who knew?) If you think Corvette guys are persnickety, you should see these license plate guys. There's lots of plates for sale. You will be able to find exactly what you want. Find your local license plate club, and see who is selling these. Start with ALPCA.org.

Don't restore the plate just yet. It's likely that your state's Registry of Motor Vehicles wants to see it first. They will not accept any plate that has been restored. After they inspect and issue it to you, you can then get it restored. Mojoartworks.com is a good guy. He did mine.

If you only get one plate, and you need two, there are people who will make plates for you. This is probably illegal. So I'd be circumspect, if I were you. Licenseplates.tv is one such place. They did a great job copying my one 1961 Massachusetts plate. If you put them side by side, you can see slight differences. But they are never side by side. They go on opposite ends of the car.

Go to your state's Registry of Motor Vehicles web site, and find your state's law re YOM plates. Print it and carry it with you in the car. The cop who stops you and has a question about these plates won't know this law. Your YOM plate will be older than him/her.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:07 PM
markdonc
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a mint Pennsylvania 1966 new car dealer plate on EBay,(there are plenty of right year & state tags there). Pa Dot needed to see a picture of actual plate then issued an owners card to match. The process took less than 2 weeks.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:08 PM
After38Years
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 66 Posts
Default eBay is your friend

Found a NOS set of VA plates for my '66 on eBay for less than $100. DMV blessed them with no problem. (I do carry a copy of the statute in the glove box)
Old 05-11-2015, 05:12 PM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I like the YOM tags, Georgia allows them on pre-71 cars without many restrictions at all. this is the one currently on my 65, also gives most people a clue on what year the car is.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:16 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,238 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Name:  0112151404.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  605.9 KB
Old 05-11-2015, 09:43 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Originally Posted by After38Years
Found a NOS set of VA plates for my '66 on eBay for less than $100. DMV blessed them with no problem. (I do carry a copy of the statute in the glove box)
This, exactly. Except mine were for 1965. The plates had never been on a car and came in the original DMV wax paper envelope.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:58 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

In Ca, after '63, tags are permanent unless they get lost or turned in. My '65 GTO has 50 year old plates....every 15 years, I scrape a quarter inch of stickers off the back plate and I'm good to go. I pay extra to run YOM plates on my '15 Ford....but new plates would look lame on a hundred year old car, IMO. I plan on getting some yellow YOM plates for the '61 Corvette, as new CA plates are very festive and lame looking...not appropriate for a classic car.
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2015, 02:55 AM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I run YOM plates on all my old cars. In CA you have to have the appropriate plate(correct colors, car #s for a car and truck #s for a truck), they have to be "clear"(not currently assigned to another car/truck) and the correct year tag(now in reproduction). You also need both plates and they have to be legible. You're supposed to attach some little plates to the original plate to display the current year tag(I just keep it in my glove box). I also go as far as to get the "early" month tags(they changed the color of the letters sometime in the 70s or 80s). I think it looks alot better and whenever I sell a car the new owners all seem to appreciate it. The Pomona swap meet always has a few guys selling plates and tags but they're getting expensive.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:24 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

I have YOM on both the 62 and 79 Z28. In Missouri you have to call the main DMV for them to check and make sure the combination of numbers and letters is not already in use. If OK'd then you send a picture of plate with paper work and around $30. I restored the plates for both cars myself and they didn't need stickers. Although I have found a sign painter graphics maker locally that does the stickers.
I have also found a sticker maker to do the manufacture door stickers for the Z28 with all correct information. He also made a 1979 Missouri inspection sticker with the license plate number printed on it. While on subject of license plates I found out about six months ago that the state of Missouri will give Veterans with a Purple Heart one set of free Purple Heart plates. You only pay the processing fee and there is no annual fee like the vanity plates. Any additional plates are $15 each. I got one free set for the Charger and an additional set for the Grand Sport. Since they were ordered together I have sequential numbers.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:18 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,702 Likes on 1,277 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Its a good deal here in Ohio. After buying Historical plates, you can put on YOM plates for just one $2.50 fee and no need for a front plate.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:20 AM
ByByeAmericanPie
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I run YOM tags because in Virginia, you only have to pay a one time registration fee of $50 and you are exempt from annual inspections.

Get notified of new replies

To YOM tags - Just your thoughts

Old 05-12-2015, 11:42 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Anybody got a spare set of 1967 Florida Tags? Brevard County would be perfect!
Old 05-12-2015, 01:43 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Revfan
Anybody got a spare set of 1967 Florida Tags? Brevard County would be perfect!
Florida doesn't require a front tag. But yes I have the 67 Florida tag off my Chevelle. I'd have to dig it out to check the county.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Tracy64
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Revfan, I'll check this weekend. They added a 3rd swapmeet to the Moultrie Automotive Swapmeet this year and I'll be out there this weekend. The place where I found my tag is located in the same area. Send me the county code you want and if they have one I'll grab it. The owner is a buddy of mine so the cost won't be too bad.

/Tracy

Didn't notice that you said Brevard county. I'll look up the code, assuming it's similar to Georgia with a numerical code.

Quick Reply: YOM tags - Just your thoughts