C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vent window rivet

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 02:56 AM
BeeVee
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vent window rivet

How do you install the small rivet that holds the 2 pieces of vent window frame on a 64 coupe? trying to finish installing vents and windows, plus all weather stripping, need all the help I can get!
Old 11-17-2015, 11:38 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Is the vent window frame off the car? If so I believe I used a blunt nail set to start expanding the rivet tube mouth and then I had a punch from somewhere with a rounded end that rolled the tube out futher and then just a large flat tip punch to do the final set.

If it's on the car I think there is a tube rivet tool that can be used but not sure where to get one.

Now that I think back, that blunt, rounded end punch may have been for setting 2-piece snaps in tarps.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 11-17-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:31 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by BeeVee
How do you install the small rivet that holds the 2 pieces of vent window frame on a 64 coupe? trying to finish installing vents and windows, plus all weather stripping, need all the help I can get!

A manual setting tool for semi-tubular rivets looks like this:

As Dan touched on, the vent window assy. needs to be out of the car to do this operation safely, unless you have access to a "squeezer" tool.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:10 PM
BeeVee
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is out of the car. Where can someone find that tool? I bought a few extra's in case I screw one up. Have to do the other side too!
Old 11-17-2015, 04:40 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 736 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by BeeVee
It is out of the car. Where can someone find that tool? I bought a few extra's in case I screw one up. Have to do the other side too!
BeeVee,
We did something like Dan described in Post #2. The attached PDF shows the series of "punches" that we used to expand and then flatten the tubular rivet. Maybe you can rent a river squeezer from a local parts outfit.

Dave Z
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Peening the hinge pivot rivet.pdf (115.4 KB, 521 views)
Old 11-17-2015, 05:17 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

LICS has the correct setting tool (pictured above) and it worked well or you can do it as in the above article. It's less hits with the tool. You need a steady hand and a trusting helper. Luckily, I too have a trusting wife who held the whole thing for me in the vise so I could pound that rivet. Get a couple of extra rivets just in case you are not happy with the look of the flare first time.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:36 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Default The other way I've done it...

is to use 2-3 small ball bearings of increasing diameter to open up the tube sufficiently to then use the smallest ball pein hammer to finish it off.

Kind of a miniaturized version of staking leaf spring cushion cups with BIG ball bearings, a big ball pein hammer and a press.

Get notified of new replies

To Vent window rivet

Quick Reply: Vent window rivet