C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Value of a neglected 1967

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 05:57 PM
I hate user names
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value of a neglected 1967

Howdy, I'm wondering if someone can give me a ballpark idea of a 1967 I came across could be worth. It belonged to a coworker's father who was rebuilding the car but passed away before it was completed. The car has sat in garage for some time now. No pictures yet but it is a numbers matching 1967, 327. Everything is complete except for paint and some interior work. The body has been prepped and primed. The three children are involved in the sale of this vehicle but I have no idea what to offer. I understand it could be extremely challenging to provide a guesstimate without any pictures or additional info but that will be coming soon, hopefully. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-23-2016, 06:01 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by I hate user names
Howdy, I'm wondering if someone can give me a ballpark idea of a 1967 I came across could be worth. It belonged to a coworker's father who was rebuilding the car but passed away before it was completed. The car has sat in garage for some time now. No pictures yet but it is a numbers matching 1967, 327. Everything is complete except for paint and some interior work. The body has been prepped and primed. The three children are involved in the sale of this vehicle but I have no idea what to offer. I understand it could be extremely challenging to provide a guesstimate without any pictures or additional info but that will be coming soon, hopefully. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
25,000. Not worth that much if you factor what it costs to fix the neglect, but assuming it's frame and birdcage are solid - most complete projects will be in the mid $20's. Whether they should or not.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:21 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Additional helpful information that could affect value:

-Frame rust
-have those matching numbers been verified by someone who knows what they are looking at?
-if the body was prepped for paint, but the car has sat unfinished, the body may not be as ready for paint as you think
-how much interior work?
-Coupe? Convertible? manual/automatic? Options?

A ballpark right now would likely be too broad or inaccurate.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:22 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

15k-30k based on your discription.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:36 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

$35-40K on eBay
Old 08-23-2016, 06:54 PM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

Plan on spending more than a few thousand for missing parts. (there are ALWAYS, missing parts.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369

A ballpark right now would likely be too broad or inaccurate.

DUB
Old 08-23-2016, 07:46 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

You guys- c'mon. The OP has come here looking for WAG's. Throw him a bone.

Don't wait for photos or meaningful details. $25k, give or take a few thousand.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:04 PM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
You guys- c'mon. The OP has come here looking for WAG's. Throw him a bone.

Don't wait for photos or meaningful details. $25k, give or take a few thousand.
He's just looking for a WAG..... based on what was described, I'd be good w/$25k too.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:38 PM
I hate user names
Advanced

Originally Posted by corvetteed
He's just looking for a WAG..... based on what was described, I'd be good w/$25k too.
Thank you all for the valued feedback. I guess the frame was powdwecoated a few years back. The interior is missing the seats, which are in a basement in good condition. My thought is that, minus some paint, this thing should be legit. I'm also sure that there may be some misc items too. Hopefully I can put some eyes on it soon and do some fact finding myself. I'll check back in with some pics. Thanks again!
Old 08-24-2016, 09:01 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default 67

Best to take someone who really knows these cars with you for an inspection and an inventory of parts and parts missing. Anything else is a shot in the dark by a blind man. Jerry
Old 08-24-2016, 01:45 PM
Bowlerdude
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

It's always tough to estimate what a car is worth but in your example with the car needing paint it makes it harder imo. The reason is the skyrocketing cost of having a Corvette painted. Where I live (SoCal) it will cost between $15k to $20K to have it painted! Maybe more depending!!! Might be less where you live but I would inquire about the cost of paint before you decide to purchase the car unless you get it cheap or can do your own paint work.

Generally speaking I think that most of the estimates given on the forum are usually low. Take a look around at 67 Vettes selling for $25k and you'll find mostly crap in that range that needs everything.

I'm of the opinion that it's better to buy a car that already has a good paint job unless you can paint it yourself.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Bowlerdude; 08-24-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:47 PM
karkrafter
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts

No way a 327 car is worth $25 in that shape..

The OP is trying to BUY it, why quote him pie in the sky money.

Car sitting for years...old body work, needs paint and interior. You know the brakes and exhaust are bad...hope the wheel bearings are good...shocks and bushings are going to be junk. What's the mill, cooling system and clutch like? How about the carb...Hell you can drop $500 on just a carb! How much is a set of bumpers? Tires too. $15K is all the money if you had any plan of not being crazy upside down.. You will drop $25k on that car so fast and it will make your heart stop and it still won't be done. And all that assumes the frame and cage is good nuff.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:36 PM
hlvette
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I am in the Twin City area if you are interested in someone to look at it.
I am mostly experienced in restoring C1's, but know what to look for on a C2. Send me a PM
Old 08-24-2016, 02:55 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by karkrafter
No way a 327 car is worth $25 in that shape..

The OP is trying to BUY it, why quote him pie in the sky money.

Car sitting for years...old body work, needs paint and interior. You know the brakes and exhaust are bad...hope the wheel bearings are good...shocks and bushings are going to be junk. What's the mill, cooling system and clutch like? How about the carb...Hell you can drop $500 on just a carb! How much is a set of bumpers? Tires too. $15K is all the money if you had any plan of not being crazy upside down.. You will drop $25k on that car so fast and it will make your heart stop and it still won't be done. And all that assumes the frame and cage is good nuff.

I think your point is that at $25k it's a losing proposition based on the assumptions we've made. I agreed in my first post. Lots of projects are losing propositions - it doesn't change their market value. A complete numbers marching 67 with solid bones is worth *about* 25k on the open market.

If the OP buys it for $15k, bully for him. But the seller left money on the table.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:53 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I passed on a complete, no rust, but apart blue/blue 327 roadster for 30 before I bought my '61. The only reason I didn't buy it was because the owner was talking 38k.....which was too high. When I found out it sold for 30k, I was disappointed. The buyer got a solid deal on a numbers matching car needing assembly and clean up, but no damage repair. Still, about 20k worth of work and materials was required to bring the car up to #3 condition, so it would have been a wash. In California, you can't buy anything in one piece or halfway decent for 25k....not a C2. Raggedy running cars that need everything start at 30k.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:05 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
Best to take someone who really knows these cars with you for an inspection and an inventory of parts and parts missing. Anything else is a shot in the dark by a blind man. Jerry

There are so many areas that can cause a car that seems to be great...to turn into a pile of worthless crap....and this is due to what it will take to repair the IMPORTANT areas of this car.

I can not tell you how many times over the past 30 years I have a Corvette brought to me for an inspection and I LITERALLY look at it for five minutes and STOP. Even though the body and paint on many of these Corvettes look good....it is the under structure that often times gets overlooked and makes the car to me a worthless car.

If the person inspecting it knows what to look for and where to look...they may save you bunch of problems.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Value of a neglected 1967

Old 08-24-2016, 07:01 PM
Low Rider
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Repaint

You will have a very hard time finding a quality paint shop that will paint a car someone else did the body work on. Also there would be no warranty or guarantee with someone else's body work. Ready For Paint is only applicable when you did the work.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Low Rider
You will have a very hard time finding a quality paint shop that will paint a car someone else did the body work on. Also there would be no warranty or guarantee with someone else's body work. Ready For Paint is only applicable when you did the work.
with that. That is what I tell people who bring me their Corvette to paint and they did the work. I usually tell them to finish it themselves and paint it...because I can not stand behind what they did.

DUB
Old 08-25-2016, 10:15 AM
I hate user names
Advanced

Originally Posted by hlvette
I am in the Twin City area if you are interested in someone to look at it.
I am mostly experienced in restoring C1's, but know what to look for on a C2. Send me a PM
Thank you very much for the offer! Hopefully I gain some additional traction here soon.

Quick Reply: Value of a neglected 1967